unwanted people contacting me

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

unwanted people contacting me

I am still getting unknown people trying to contact me when all my settings are set to Contacts only. I just made sure they were all set to that. I only use Skype on my computer. I will have to stop using if this continues. Please help. Thanks
Amulet62
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 6
Message 1 of 21 (25,711 Views)

Re: unwanted people contacting me

Amulet62 wrote:
I am still getting unknown people trying to contact me when all my settings are set to Contacts only.

Hello,

As your privacy settings are "Contacts Only" any unrequested attempts to contact you must be coming from users who are contacting you for the first time and on a spectulative basis.

There isn't any way to stop this as any "blanket block" built in would prevent genuine users not on your contact list from contacting you.

You can however simply "ignore" these requests by clicking on the appropriate tab.

By doing so you are both ignoring them and preventing them from sending you any further requests.

SKYPE STAFF MODERATOR & BETA TESTER
TIME ZONE - US EASTERN - PHILADELPHIA PA USA - UTC MINUS 5 HOURS

I recommend that you always run the latest software version: Windows & Mac

If my advice helped to fix your issue please mark it as a solution to help others.
Please note that I generally don't respond to unsolicited Private Messages. Thank you.
NormanM
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator icon
Kudos: 1488
Message 2 of 21 (25,700 Views)

I keep receiving contact requests from foreign men...it is very uncomfortable and a bit unsettling, we use skype to communicate with family and friends. I don't understand how and quite frankly, why these men keep trying to contact me. I continue to block them but it would be nice if I could actually contact a skype representative and have them fix this particular issue...among some others. 

amybobohjb
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 17
Message 3 of 21 (25,600 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi, amybobohjb, and welcome to the Community!

Please ensure your privacy settings are adjusted such that you can receive audio calls, video calls, and instant messages from people on your contact list only.  Remember to Save your new settings, or your changes will not be applied to (remembered by) your account.

For the ladies, I now recommend checking your Profile to ensure no gender is selected.  (Skype -> Profile -> Edit your Profile -> Gender -> Not Specified.) This seems to go a long way in keeping unwanted contact invitations at bay.

To reach Skype Customer Service, here is a link to start with: contact customer service

Best regards,

Elaine

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
Was your question answered? Please click on the Accept as a Solution link so everyone can quickly find what works! Like a post or want to say, "Thank You" - ?? Click on the Kudos button!

Please note:   To remove (delete) a Skype Account, you must contact Skype Customer Service directly. We here in the Community cannot process account-related service requests.

Trustworthy information: Brian Krebs: 3 Basic Rules for Online Safety and Consumer Reports: Guide to Internet Security

Online Safety Tips: Do not accept contact invitations from anyone whom you do not know, and change your passwords regularly and often.

Do you have a Skype trick up your sleeve?  Share your Solutions and Tips with us!

Elaine
Moderator icon
Kudos: 1974
Message 4 of 21 (25,594 Views)

Thanks so much!!!

amybobohjb
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 17
Message 5 of 21 (25,582 Views)

NormanM wrote:

Amulet62 wrote:
I am still getting unknown people trying to contact me when all my settings are set to Contacts only.

Hello,

As your privacy settings are "Contacts Only" any unrequested attempts to contact you must be coming from users who are contacting you for the first time and on a spectulative basis.

There isn't any way to stop this as any "blanket block" built in would prevent genuine users not on your contact list from contacting you.

You can however simply "ignore" these requests by clicking on the appropriate tab.

By doing so you are both ignoring them and preventing them from sending you any further requests.

What is the point of setting the privacy settings to Contacts Only if the system will allow communication from those not on the contact list?  That sounds  - broken.

valathel
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 38
Message 6 of 21 (25,580 Views)

[ Edited ]

Dear Valathel,

Quite honestly, I agree with you.  However, for further explanation: anyone can randomly guess various combinations of names and derive lists of candidates ...

Best,

Elaine

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
Was your question answered? Please click on the Accept as a Solution link so everyone can quickly find what works! Like a post or want to say, "Thank You" - ?? Click on the Kudos button!

Please note:   To remove (delete) a Skype Account, you must contact Skype Customer Service directly. We here in the Community cannot process account-related service requests.

Trustworthy information: Brian Krebs: 3 Basic Rules for Online Safety and Consumer Reports: Guide to Internet Security

Online Safety Tips: Do not accept contact invitations from anyone whom you do not know, and change your passwords regularly and often.

Do you have a Skype trick up your sleeve?  Share your Solutions and Tips with us!

0 Kudos
Elaine
Moderator icon
Message 7 of 21 (25,572 Views)

I have this same problem since I have merged skype with my msn account.. Never had this problem before..

I have set all privacy settings to "contact list only" and still get random messages from people NOT on my contact list. I can't even block them, because they are not my contacts.. All I can do is hide the conversation, but some of them keep messaging me again and I can find no way to block them out.. Is this some kind of a bug? My privacy settings should be enough to keep these spammers away but it looks like those privacy settings aren't working correctly since the MSN merger... Please help, this is super annoying!!

0 Kudos
dqr1
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 8 of 21 (25,055 Views)

Hi, dqr1, and welcome to the Community,

Please confirm what to me is a very important and distinct detail:

Are you receiving unsolicited, uninvited contact invitations or requests?

OR

Are you receiving instant messages from people who are not on your contact list?

Regards,

Elaine

0 Kudos
Elaine
Moderator icon
Message 9 of 21 (25,035 Views)

The latter - instant messages from people not on my contact list. Happened multiple times, and since they are not on my contact list, I can't even block them. All I can do is hide the conversation.. And I double checked, all my privacy options are set to contact list only...

0 Kudos
dqr1
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 10 of 21 (25,027 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling