scam or not scam?

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

scam or not scam?

I received a recorded automated message that my computer protection service was below par and was asked to go to an address (which I see I am not supposed to give out) .... I assume this is a scam as I have a good system (thanks to my nerdy child). This is the first of its kind I have received .... is it common?

tufterese
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 2 (105 Views)

Re: scam or not scam?

Hi, tufterese, and welcome to the Community!

Confirming your suspicions are correct: these are scamming and phishing attempts, and that unfortunately many variations and mutations are floating around "out there."

My nerdy child did not realise that these annoyances can be avoided by "locking down" your account/profile (privacy settings, audio call and video call) such that you receive calls/IM's from people on your contact list only.  Doing so makes you invisible to these malcontents even though true friends, family, and colleagues will not be able to find you easily on Skype, either.  Please do remember to Save your settings (the Save button appears at the lower right corner) before you exit each screen or window, otherwise your settings will not be applied to or remembered by your account.

Best regards,

Elainem77

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
If a reply answered your question, please click on the Accept as a Solution link so others following in your footsteps can find what works! If anyone helped you, you can show your appreciation and thanks by clicking on the Kudos button!

Trustworthy information: David Krebs: 3 Basic Rules for Online Safety and Consumer Reports: Guide to Internet Security

Good Tip: Do not accept contact invitations from anyone whom you do not know.

Do you have a Skype trick up your sleeve?  Share your Solutions and Tips with us!

Elaine
Moderator icon
Kudos: 1590
Message 2 of 2 (93 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling