remove contacts from top of home page

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

remove contacts from top of home page

I do not want contacts to be shown on the top of the skype homepage. How do you remove these

leebvic
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 3
Message 1 of 26 (8,722 Views)

Re: remove contacts from top of home page

Hi, leebvic, and welcome to the Community!

I can not figure out to this day what the logic is behind whose profile picture appears at the top of the Skype Home page and whose does not.  There is no facility to delete these. 

Kind regards,

Elaine

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
If a reply answered your question, please click on the Accept as a Solution link so others following in your footsteps can find what works! If anyone helped you, you can show your appreciation and thanks by clicking on the Kudos button!

Good catch! :happy:  My thanks to those of you who pointed out that in my instruction on how to contact Skype Customer Service that the blue "Send" button has been replaced with a green Next button, and that to file an e-mail request, we click "Submit."

Trustworthy information: David Krebs: 3 Basic Rules for Online Safety and Consumer Reports: Guide to Internet Security

Online Safety Tip: Do not accept contact invitations from anyone whom you do not know.

Do you have a Skype trick up your sleeve?  Share your Solutions and Tips with us!

0 Kudos
Elaine
Moderator icon
Kudos: 1599
Message 2 of 26 (8,705 Views)

Thank  U Elaine It can be a problem, there are men that I have not talked to that are facebook gamers and they are at the top of my home page looking like I know them personally.. Thinking the boyfriend will not be happy with Skype.. Might just have to close account... Thank u for your help.

jodymarchelle
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 26 (8,276 Views)

This is a huge pain in the ^%$#$ for me.  At work, a personal user shows up at the top of the screen every time I log in in a boardroom full of people.  I'm a paying user, how come I can't change this?  Skype is a good product, but sometimes the things the programmers do really makes me wonder if they actually USE the program.  There seems to be no logic to what contacts show up there and why you can't change or remove people off of there.  The contact that shows up for me is a really old contact that I haven't sent a message to or called in ages.  It's ridiculous and I don't want to have to change my profile.

Midnghtrmblr68
Casual Adventurer
Message 4 of 26 (8,171 Views)

The only way I found to get rid of these "top contacts" I rarely contact:

- log out of skype.

- exit skype in the system tray.

- go to: C:\Users\your username here\AppData\Roaming\Skype

- delete your skype name from the list.

- restart skype, enter your username and password, and go through all the process of setting the options again.

- make sure you set privacy on "no history" and that you clear history every time you exit skype.

It would be nice to have the option to show or hide top contacts...

enduser001
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 7
Message 5 of 26 (8,047 Views)

Hi, everyone,

Enduser001 is absolutely correct!  I would like to add one little, tiny observation ... this maneuver is called by our Super Users as a "Skype Re-Set."  Deleting this file literally re-sets your Skype as if you had never used it before ... just so everyone is aware of this!  All history, conversations, everything is deleted.  For me, this would be a disaster.  For many, many others, it is the perfect solution.

Best regards,

Elaine

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
If a reply answered your question, please click on the Accept as a Solution link so others following in your footsteps can find what works! If anyone helped you, you can show your appreciation and thanks by clicking on the Kudos button!

Good catch! :happy:  My thanks to those of you who pointed out that in my instruction on how to contact Skype Customer Service that the blue "Send" button has been replaced with a green Next button, and that to file an e-mail request, we click "Submit."

Trustworthy information: David Krebs: 3 Basic Rules for Online Safety and Consumer Reports: Guide to Internet Security

Online Safety Tip: Do not accept contact invitations from anyone whom you do not know.

Do you have a Skype trick up your sleeve?  Share your Solutions and Tips with us!

0 Kudos
Elaine
Moderator icon
Message 6 of 26 (8,043 Views)

Do you have to add all your contacts again too?

0 Kudos
Midnghtrmblr68
Casual Adventurer
Message 7 of 26 (8,027 Views)

Hi, Midnightrmbler68,

Good news, and good question!  No, you do not have to re-add all of your contacts.

:(y):

Elaine

0 Kudos
Elaine
Moderator icon
Message 8 of 26 (8,023 Views)

Awesome!!!  then I am definitely one person that believes this is a perfect solution as I don't keep history of my conversations anyway.  A better solution would be for the users to have control over what appears on the home page, but apparently, we can't be trusted.  :happy:

Midnghtrmblr68
Casual Adventurer
Message 9 of 26 (8,005 Views)

How is this done?

0 Kudos
s2000
Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 10 of 26 (7,788 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling