recd *** AUTOCALL™ ATTENTION REQUIRED *** is this...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

recd *** AUTOCALL™ ATTENTION REQUIRED *** is this spam?

Hey there experts,

I am totally new to SKYPE and have gotten 3 'calls' saying I am required to go to [invalid URL] to protect my computer. Is this for real? or am I being sent to a scammer website? Am not brave enough to go to the site without knowing one way or the other. Thanks for your help.

Patricia

patricia949
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 1 of 15 (6,935 Views)

Re: recd *** AUTOCALL™ ATTENTION REQUIRED *** is this spam?

[ Edited ]

patricia949 wrote:

I am totally new to SKYPE and have gotten 3 'calls' saying I am required to go to [invalid URL] to protect my computer.

Hello,

This is a well known SCAM. Do not respond otherwise your computer will be infected.

Block the user. We never contact customer like that.

Thank you.

SKYPE MODERATOR & BETA TESTER
TIME ZONE - US EASTERN - PHILADELPHIA PA USA - UTC MINUS 5 HOURS

I recommend that you always run the latest software version: Windows & Mac

If my advice helped to fix your issue please mark it as a solution to help others.
Please note that I generally don't respond to unsolicited Private Messages. Thank you.
NormanM
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator icon
Kudos: 1206
Message 2 of 15 (6,917 Views)

When I block these spam calls......I always check a box "Report Abuse" ....does anything happen with this?

The spam calls are getting more annoying all the time......several within a short period of time......always disturbing my work station.

Isn't there anything Skype can do about this?

Pat

pkeegan
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 3 of 15 (6,898 Views)

pkeegan wrote:

1. When I block these spam calls......I always check a box "Report Abuse" ....does anything happen with this?

2. Isn't there anything Skype can do about this?

Hello Pat,

1. Yes it does. As soon as the "Report Abuse" box is ticked, our Fraud Unit is automatically alerted and the caller blocked. To help us it is very important to keep doing that.

2. The problem is that as soon as we block them they move to a different #.

We're looking at further options but, for obvious reasons, I can't go into detail here.

SKYPE MODERATOR & BETA TESTER
TIME ZONE - US EASTERN - PHILADELPHIA PA USA - UTC MINUS 5 HOURS

I recommend that you always run the latest software version: Windows & Mac

If my advice helped to fix your issue please mark it as a solution to help others.
Please note that I generally don't respond to unsolicited Private Messages. Thank you.
NormanM
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator icon
Kudos: 1206
Message 4 of 15 (6,011 Views)

I reflexively answered the call when it rang, so presumably my computer is 'infected' - I run a mac, what do I do?
linkaneo
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 5 of 15 (5,110 Views)

I think merely answering that call will not bring any harm to your computer (whether Mac or Windows), unless you visited the sites being suggest and download stuffs from them.  

VooDooDoll
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 254
Message 6 of 15 (4,989 Views)

Have had these calls but never replied or did anything about them. Now I cannot get on Skype when anyone calls me. How do I correct this.
dandcnewman
Tourist
Message 7 of 15 (4,874 Views)

Yes the same thing happend to me, I got a call just like that.
Although I've been on Skype for over a year and got the call twice! The first time I blocked it and declined then today I got it?! I don't like this suspicious "person" OR "thing".

Regards,
Chloe
Tayto65
Novel Tourist
Message 8 of 15 (3,605 Views)

please visit the thread below for instructions and suggestions on how to deal with such unwanted and suspicious activities;

How to Handle Suspicious Calls, Messages and Contact Requests (Scam/Spam)

:happy:

VooDooDoll
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 254
Message 9 of 15 (3,596 Views)

I have been having exactly the same problem. I realized that it was a scam (I've never answered the call) I just block the person and tick "report abuse from this person" EVERY TIME, but it doesn't seem to do anything, they keep harassing me literally every other day, 7am and 7pm. Do I need to start a new skype account or change my password or something to get rid of them? SO ANNOYING!

FJ
Novel Tourist
Message 10 of 15 (3,547 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling