"Skype" sent me an e-mail this morning: "New Skype...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

"Skype" sent me an e-mail this morning: "New Skype Has Been Releases ! Upgrade Now"!?

[ Edited ]

Shame on you, Skype, for the typo. (Kidding, kidding....)

The main purpose of this is to alert the admin here, as I can't seem to find any link or place to contact Skype directly about this.

I received an e-mail this morning from "Skype" telling me that "New Skype Has been Releases ! Upgrade Now".  The e-mail continued to reassure me that the e-mail was sent "to notify that new updates have been released for Skype." It listed many new features (some already available for Premium members only, some updates in general), and included a link to download the latest version. Finally, it said (once again) to download it and "let us know what you think about it."

Yes, I realize this is most likely fake, but the fact that they got this e-mail address to begin with is rather unnerving. For starters, this e-mail is in plain text, much unlike your e-mails. Secondly, the e-mail was sent through "rhapsody," sending off so many alarm bells right there. Neither your Facebook page nor the website addresses anything about any new updates. Lastly, I've never seen you guys sign it as "The People at Skype."

To those out there who will just tell me to mark it as spam, delete it, and move on:

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who received this e-mail. I don't want anyone to have their information compromised and their computers infected because they downloaded from a faulty link (which has "Skype News Center" in the name). Remember, many not-so-internet-savvy people use Skype!

jocoserious
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 3
Message 1 of 3 (610 Views)

Re: "Skype" sent me an e-mail this morning: "New Skype Has Been Releases ! Upgrade No

I got the same message and had almost the exact same thoughts, some of which I posted (inadvertently) in the "Getting Started" section.

JBH_STL
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 2 of 3 (605 Views)

Re: "Skype" sent me an e-mail this morning: "New Skype Has Been Releases ! Upgrade No

Hello and thank you for your posts.

Needless to reiterate the caution of never following any leads/URLs contained in these scam e-mails.

I've forwarded your posts to Skype Fraud.

SKYPE STAFF MODERATOR & BETA TESTER
TIME ZONE - US EASTERN - PHILADELPHIA PA USA - UTC MINUS 5 HOURS

I recommend that you always run the latest software version: Windows & Mac

If my advice helped to fix your issue please mark it as a solution to help others.
Please note that I generally don't respond to unsolicited Private Messages. Thank you.
NormanM
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator icon
Kudos: 1322
Message 3 of 3 (596 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling