Re: deleting old skype id and retaining linked mic...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

deleting old skype id and retaining linked microsoft account to login

Hi,

This is related to security. I have a skype account ID with lots of contacts.. However I was concerned about security so wanted to enable two step authentication for logging into skype.. after few trials, I came to know that it's enabled in microsoft account.

So I created a new microsoft account with same name ( myoldskypeid@live.com) and then linked that microsoft account with my old skype id. 

With that I have got two ways to login to my skype: 1. my old skype id and password 

2. my new microsoft account and it's password. 

Now, I want to delete my old skype id and just retain the new microsoft id to login to skype so that I just have one option to login to skype i.e microsoft account. and not the old skype id.

The reason for all this trouble is to enable the two factor authentication. old skype id doesn't seem to support it. 

Experts please help resolve the issue. 

Thanks in advance

Regards,

GS. 

gstech10
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 10 (185 Views)

Re: deleting old skype id and retaining linked microsoft account to login

[ Edited ]

HI, GSTech10, and welcome to the Community,

It has been explained to me that we cannot remove a Skype account that is linked to a Microsoft account, as doing so will disable the Skype account.  With the transition to Microsoft accounts, eventually we will all have one, single account.

Please see this FAQ article if you wish to do otherwise:

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA34443/can-i-delete-my-skype-account-if-i-sign-in-with-a-microsoft...

Regards,

Elaine

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Do you have a Skype trick up your sleeve?  Share your Solutions and Tips with us!

If a reply answered your question, please click on the Accept as a Solution link so others following in your footsteps can find what works! If anyone helped you, you can show your appreciation and thanks by clicking on the Kudos button!
-> Good reads: David Krebs: 3 Basic Rules for Online Safety and Consumer Reports: Guide to Internet Security and for the

Favorite Tip for This Week: Do not accept contact invitations from anyone whom you do not know.

Elaine
Moderator icon
Kudos: 1627
Message 2 of 10 (173 Views)

Thanks Elaine for responding.. 

If we cannot delete the old skype account .. is there any other way to set up a two step authentication mechanism in skype account as we have for microsoft account? since a one step login ( password) these days is quite a security risk.

Regards,

GS

gstech10
Casual Adventurer
Message 3 of 10 (164 Views)

Hi, GSTech10,

I agree with you - most of my on-line accounts do not call for two-factor authentication.  I am not aware that Skype is set up for this, either --- however, will check with those to whom I report and post back.

Regards,

Elaine

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Do you have a Skype trick up your sleeve?  Share your Solutions and Tips with us!

If a reply answered your question, please click on the Accept as a Solution link so others following in your footsteps can find what works! If anyone helped you, you can show your appreciation and thanks by clicking on the Kudos button!
-> Good reads: David Krebs: 3 Basic Rules for Online Safety and Consumer Reports: Guide to Internet Security and for the

Favorite Tip for This Week: Do not accept contact invitations from anyone whom you do not know.

Elaine
Moderator icon
Message 4 of 10 (157 Views)

Thanks.. I will await your response. hopefully some solution would be there to secure our skype accounts too. 

Regards,

GS

gstech10
Casual Adventurer
Message 5 of 10 (151 Views)

Hi, GSTech10,

Confirming Skype accounts do not have a facility to activate two-factor authentication.

Kind regards,

Elaine

Elaine
Moderator icon
Message 6 of 10 (125 Views)

Thanks for following this up.. Please mark this as a high priority request to enable to two factor authentication for skype too... it will make skpye more secure and less prone to hacks for passwords. 

Regards,

GS

gstech10
Casual Adventurer
Message 7 of 10 (113 Views)

Elaine, there is another concern... does skype version for android logs in via https or some other encrypted communication channel? since if it's not secure login then anyone can probably sniff the password on unsecure wifi. I am assuming that both the desktop version and android version have same login mechanism but wanted to confirm.  

Regards,

GS 

gstech10
Casual Adventurer
Message 8 of 10 (111 Views)

The login is definitely not unencrypted.  Skype employs forms of HTTPS/SSL for all its communication.  It may deviate from the standard protocol following a proprietary format for communication in general but that doesn't make it any less secure.

techfreak
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 1121
Message 9 of 10 (89 Views)

thanks techfreak for the information.

regards,

GS

gstech10
Casual Adventurer
Message 10 of 10 (70 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling