YOU ARE BEING RECORDED BY THE GOVT, SKYPE NOT SECU...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: YOU ARE BEING RECORDED BY THE GOVT, SKYPE NOT SECURE

Not to diminish your arguments, and they are valid (And something to be concerned and vigilant about), but as someone who actually knows people in the NSA and CIA I'll tell you now that there are simply too many people making too many communications and too few of them to watch those communications.  They ARE being specific about what they are looking for, not because they want to single people out, but because the volume of data is insane.  If you don't have a record with the police, you don't have a history of being a terrorist, they don't care one bit.  If you DO have a record with the police but not as a terrorist, they have to have a warrant.  Even with the dense Patriot Act, they still find it really hard to tap lines on "normal people" without a LOT of oversight.

As I said before: that doesn't mean it won't change, that doesn't mean don't be worried about it... but it does mean that perhaps we don't need to stop talking to each other for fear that our conversation with Grandma is being overheard.

aabhnormal
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 21 of 39 (5,390 Views)

I simply wish to make the public aware they are being recorded and "can" be watched in the future....  SkypeKit is coming out to tie every app into Skype, all of which can be recorded and monitored.  Skype hasnt been secure for years:

"Lol, here is skype's RC4 - someone leaked it a few hours ago and I
managed to snag it before it got taken down."
LINK:
hbgary.anonleaks.ch/greg_hbgary_com/10391.html

BRAND NEW!!!!!
  PORTABLE SKYPE INTERCEPTOR

For more information, please email me at p.adams@shieldsecurity.org.   If you have not yet applied for full access to this restricted Government and Law Enforcement Catalog site please complete the online form at:  shieldsecurity.org .  We will then issue you a user name and password to enable viewing of all products.

We thank you for your patronage and look forward to hearing from you in the very near future.  As always, if we can assist you in any way please contact me at the addressees and numbers below.

Regards,

Polly Adams

Government, Military, and Law Enforcement Sales

2nd Floor

145-157 St. John Street

London

EC1V 4PY

Telephone: +44 845 310 4322

Fax: +44 870 838 6561

Email: p.adams@shieldsecurity.org

Web: shieldsecurity.org

LINK:
hbgary.anonleaks.ch/greg_hbgary_com/23649h.html

The scary part is it is now approved for use in Congress.... if the US feds can listen in, so can anyone else.  When are they going to get that designing Windows/Apps to be unsecure/have backdoors is a bad idea! 

R3zn8D
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 22 of 39 (5,384 Views)

yeah, yeah, whatever.  Actually, I also heard about this software before.  It was used by the military to intercept, monitor, and record communications between bugs bunny and some lifeforms from a galaxy 1 billion light years away.  

in short, a scam.

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES
SEE MORE TIPS, TRICKS, TUTORIALS AND UPDATES in
| skypefordummies.blogspot.com | 

Primemover
Power User
Kudos: 1594
Message 23 of 39 (5,374 Views)

[ Edited ]

It has been possible to record Skype audio and video calls for years -- I doubt anyone disagrees

the question is the manner in which this is done -- it's not currently possible for a third-party to do it (this implies a third machine somewhere between the endpoints)

btw, having the source code to Skype's RC4 implementation does not necessarily make it insecure -- it only makes it easier to spot weaknesses (assuming they even exist)

Regards,
Neil
Neil
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 307
Message 24 of 39 (5,362 Views)

not sure what you are referring to as a scam, but I can assure you that the 'special' Chinese version is real and the way that it filters IM was exposed

Regards,
Neil
Neil
Super Adventurer
Message 25 of 39 (5,357 Views)

I was referring to this, Neil.

"BRAND NEW!!!!! PORTABLE SKYPE INTERCEPTOR"

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES

Primemover
Power User
Message 26 of 39 (5,357 Views)

OK, I see . . . sorry

Regards,
Neil
Neil
Super Adventurer
Message 27 of 39 (5,352 Views)

[ Edited ]

Primemover I suggest you do some research before posting in the future as you clearly are an xxxxxx who verifies nothing before spouting xx.

"BRAND NEW!!!!! PORTABLE SKYPE INTERCEPTOR" is in an email sent to HBGary Federal, a US. Govt. contractor that was hacked by a 16 year old girl from the hacker collective Anonymous.  The emails are real, congress is investigating much of the data disclosed in those emails.  And that skype interceptor was a sales advertisement from shieldsecurity.org, a real company that still specializes in data monitoring/cell/voip interception.  View their website xxxxx.

R3zn8D
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 28 of 39 (5,353 Views)

2nd Floor 145-157 St John Street is a Mail box company in London. It is often used by scam merchants.
oaksys
Esteemed Adventurer
Kudos: 15
Message 29 of 39 (5,338 Views)

Thanks for the information, Oaksys.  I also run a quick search regarding the said address and was able to find articles, forum discussions, etc, relating 2nd Floor 145-157 St John Street to a number of obvious scams. 

Primemover
Power User
Message 30 of 39 (5,327 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling