What does the skype password want?

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

What does the skype password want?

I have an algorithm for all my passwords so they can all be different, but I can remember them.  Skype won't let me use my algorithm, and won't tell me what the password wants - it just says something to the effect of 'not secure enough'.  Well, thanks to this, first I had to create a separate account because I couldn't remember my login (causing all kinds of trouble at work).  Now, once I recovered my password for the original account (access to that email), I have to keep it written down - VERY INSECURE!!!  If I knew WHAT the password field wanted (capital letters?  symbols?  length?  ???), I could easily modify my algorithm to accommodate.  Please, this is a usability AND a security issue.  Have your error fields provide useful information, and let me know what your password field requires.

Thank you.

annepxl
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 9
Message 1 of 20 (59,866 Views)

Re: What does the skype password want?

[ Edited ]

below are some guidelines/requirements/restrictions in creating your password for Skype

A password must:

• Be at least 6 characters and not longer than 20 characters.
  • Contain at least one letter and one number.
  • Not have any spaces.
  • Not contain your Skype Name (case insensitive).
  • Not be a part of Skype Name (case insensitive).

Your password also cannot contain any of the following words:

• qwert
  • test
  • password
  • abc123
  • 123abc
  • abcdef
  • iloveyou
  • letmein
  • ebay
  • paypal

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES
SEE MORE TIPS, TRICKS, TUTORIALS AND UPDATES in
| skypefordummies.blogspot.com | 

Primemover
Power User
Kudos: 1419
Message 2 of 20 (59,865 Views)

[ Edited ]

My wife is experiencing this problem too!  Ostensibly, she is obeying all these rules but it is NOT accepting her password.  She is not able to create an account.  She even put in a 10-character password that was rejected as "too short."  

This field simply is not working right.  When I signed up, it kept saying that my password and repeat password "did not match" even though I copied/pasted.  This form acts hinky!!  Please fix!

0 Kudos
CoolHappyGuy13
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 3 of 20 (59,749 Views)

First off, this isn't personal to you Primemover, it's about Skype's problems.  :wink:

I agree with all of the points made by annepxl and CoolHappyGuy13.  I am currently trying to change my password using a random password generator, and even though the password is:

* 19 characters long

* a random mixture of upper and lowercase, numbers and symbols, the password change form is telling me

* that doesn't contain any of your previously mentioned forbidden words

I get:

Skype wrote:
Please choose a password between 6-20 characters.

This is unacceptable!  The message is completely inaccurate (and unhelpful).  In addition, the information about what Skype expects in a password NEEDS to be on the page where I'm changing the password!!!  (Or when you're creating an account, though I don't know if it exists there...)

If anyone knows how to notify a Skype employ more directly of this security issue, I would much appreciate hearing about it.

0 Kudos
earthlingzephyr
Novel Tourist
Message 4 of 20 (59,731 Views)

Are you signing in via the Skype application (If yes: Which version?) or via the Skype.com website?

Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
Claudius
Community Manager
Community Manager icon
Kudos: 10403
Message 5 of 20 (59,727 Views)

I should also recommend that it checks whether or not the user is using part of their name as a password. I.e.:

username:Bob.Richards

password:richards, bob, b0b, r1ch4rd5, richARDs, e.t.c

Were I to brute accounts the first thing I would do was a permutation check of their username.

Skype says it checks for the username thing, however, adding a digit inplace of a vowel or character to even just one letter allows you to use your username as a password.

Also, changing random vowels out is NOT as secure as you think. Because you added numbers to your name/password it is only SLIGHTLY more secure then if you were to have just used a common dictionary word.

Using alpha-numeric is only secure if it is truely close to random, i.e. W8fdab3c337CFaD9

If there is ANY form of a base word, like "CAT" and a base number "199293298" just adding the number to the word does not work:

CAT199293298

It would only take about 13 minutes longer to determine that is what you've used.

0 Kudos
Llwynn
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 10
Message 6 of 20 (59,720 Views)

This information on disallowed letter and number combinations must be put on the password reset page.
rbotzang
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 7 of 20 (58,640 Views)

After spending roughing 2 days trying to make a password after forgeting the first password, and having a temp password sent to me 4 times, No, you are wrong the requirements you listed are not the only requirments there are more hidden requirments that skype does not list, and lose people every day because of it. great work

WeAreLegions
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 8 of 20 (53,771 Views)

I found that in the Android app, it constantly told me my password was too short. BUT in reality it was my username that was too hort.

In case anyone encounters this issue.

Cheers
mutkme
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 8
Message 9 of 20 (53,757 Views)

Thanks. I was JUST about to give up.
Posted from Generic Android
0 Kudos
Colin_Baker
Casual Tourist
Message 10 of 20 (53,353 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling