Re: Unwanted Contact Requests

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Does anyone have a soluation to this problem?  Skype is non responsive.

I used skype for business and to keep in touch with friends abroad.  As skype has not responded, I am trying to make the transition to another network for communication but not all in my contact list can do so.

How can I block these unwated requests?  I have changed my privacy settings but have received unwanted calls from generals, doctors, etc at 4am, my local time!!!!

It is frustrating.  Your help would be greatly appreciated.

janesmith
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 61 of 78 (342 Views)

After being inundated with an average of 30+ contact requests per day from various generals, doctors and lonely widowers AND getting absolutely no reply or satisfaction from Skype this is what I did:  I changed my public skype name to just an initial (no full first name), I changed my age to 127 years old, I removed my gender (to 'no gender specified'), I removed my city and state as well as my contact phone numbers.  Since I made these changes I have not had one unwanted contact request and skype life has become less stressful and the pleasure it used to be before the MSN merge.  These are somewhat drastic measures and I may add a few bits of data back in later and see what happens but the key search items with these ignorant and annoying scammers seem to be gender, age and name. 

donnascat
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 4
Message 62 of 78 (339 Views)

Wish I did know an answer.  There doe snot appear to be one. I do not give my age, and I DO want to be tracked down by friends, so do not wish to be minmised out of all recognition. I had three puerile introductions yesterday. Asked them some questions which they could not answer. I merely asked 'Prove to be that you are General ?????? and are you in Afdghanistan?.' the answer came back, 'My name is?? and I am US navy'. growl, growl. O.K. I block them but it is fun getitng them to show what ignorant so and sos they are. But what do they WANT?

As I say - no answer I am afraid. Skype never replie,s skype is not interested, and I do NOT believe that Skype can do nothing. any hacker can track down the offenders, but I guess skyupe does not have the time.

MaidMarion
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 12
Message 63 of 78 (329 Views)

Unfortunately I get these every once in a while as well - what i do:

Select and BLOCK and report abuse! Tada! :wink:

MlleM
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 64 of 78 (318 Views)

Thank you for the responses. I removed my age, gender, etc but still received unwanted requests but did manage to reduce to five per day. I still would like for my friends to be able to contact me as the ones I am thinking live in another countries and only use Skype now that messenger has merged.

My list of blocked contacts from unwanted requests have grown to 200+ and have reported as abuse.

What I did today was remove my photo. Hopefully this will solve the problem.

Good luck! Sorry to know that so many others are experiencing this problem.
Posted from Apple iPhone
janesmith
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 65 of 78 (303 Views)

[ Edited ]

I too sometimes get these and there are men posing as even 11 - 13 year old boys, i don't get it often though like once every couple of months but i don't want these pervs adding me, they are always ether from pakistan, iran, turkey, italy, eqypt or countries similar to that and i know that they only want to say and do very inapropriate things online with me, i had one today where as i looked closer to the screen the picture looked like a muslim 11 or 12 year old boy, i don't think it really is, most of them don't pose but as you can see they pose as other people too or not... they just add you in the hopes you would add them, What i would suggest is if you have mot merged your msn contacts yet DON'T! you can still go to your msn and add the msn e-mails without merging and it will rarely happen, i did not merge my contacts as i have not got a clue how but i don't have to since i know i can add them seperately, a few still manage to get through though but it's not really annoying for me, think is if you look at how your profile is previews to the public they can still see your skype username and i think these pervy men are scoping the profiles, that is how they can add you but there is no way of changing it, only think you can do is just keep changing your Skype name.

PaperFlowers90
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 4
Message 66 of 78 (287 Views)

Hi,

I have the same problem and it seems to be in crescendo.  It only started happening last week and I can't see what I've changed in my account.  AND every time I change my privacy settings to allow only my contacts to get in touch, it changes back to everyone.

I use Skype to work with my colleagues remotely and it has been an excellent set-up for years. But I'm fed up and since I can't see anyone from Skype replying to 7 pages of posts... and other threads all over, no reply to the abuse mail, etc... The only way to go is uninstalling.

Thank you Skype for the 2 steps back!!

arahlek
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 67 of 78 (274 Views)

PaperFlowers90 wrote:
1. profile is previews to the public they can still see your skype username.
2. only think you can do is just keep changing your Skype name.

1.  No one can see your Skype Name.

2. Skype Names can't be changed.

SKYPE MODERATOR & BETA TESTER
TIME ZONE - US EASTERN - PHILADELPHIA PA USA - UTC MINUS 5 HOURS

I recommend that you always run the latest software version: Windows & Mac

If my advice helped to fix your issue please mark it as a solution to help others.
Please note that I generally don't respond to unsolicited Private Messages. Thank you.
NormanM
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator icon
Kudos: 1227
Message 68 of 78 (270 Views)

I know howyou fee; I feel the same. BUT i don't think this community centreis really run by ~Skype andisnot forsorting out problems but more for sharing  other aspects of #Skype.  ~At leastthatis whatI think. Could someone confirm.

Sorryabout typing,have got a newkeyboardand I amnot yet used to it.

MaidMarion
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 12
Message 69 of 78 (268 Views)

[ Edited ]

MaidMarion wrote:

i don't think this community centreis really run by ~Skype andisnot forsorting out problems but more for sharing  other aspects of #Skype. 

Hello,

You are mainly correct in your assumption.

The Community is managed by Skype and is operated as a peer-to-peer site for users both present and future to share experiences and offer advice. A team of highly experienced Community Ambassadors is on hand to address a wide range of issues. Although Skype personnel and Moderators maintain a presence this is mainly to ensure relevance and good order which benefits visiting users.

Issues which can't be resolved by the Community are forwarded to Skype Customer Service.

SKYPE MODERATOR & BETA TESTER
TIME ZONE - US EASTERN - PHILADELPHIA PA USA - UTC MINUS 5 HOURS

I recommend that you always run the latest software version: Windows & Mac

If my advice helped to fix your issue please mark it as a solution to help others.
Please note that I generally don't respond to unsolicited Private Messages. Thank you.
NormanM
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator icon
Kudos: 1227
Message 70 of 78 (260 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling