Re: Unable to delete Skype Account

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Unable to delete Skype Account

It's almost impossible to delete an unused or unwanted Skype account. You need to answer the following 5 questions:

1. Date when account was created (need original email when Skype was created)

2. email address of account (Original or current). Skype representative doesn't want to tell you if its the original email or the current email of the account. If you forgot the initial email used to create the account or the current email, you are scr***

3. 5 Contacts in the account

4. Country where account was created.

5. Account name.

other questions:

1. How did you pay? Previous payment method.
2. Please provide 2 numbers you have recently called/contacted from Skype.  
3. What was the total cost of a recent order?

Skype is extremely unfriendly with its customers when you try to delete an account you created. It can't be done from within the account. You need to work with a Skype representative, and its a waste of time. If you don't know any question, Skype will not help you.

Zebra-ZA
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 125
Message 1 of 12 (6,895 Views)

Hi, Zebra-ZA, and welcome to the Community!

You may be interested in this conversation I had with another Skype customer:

http://community.skype.com/t5/Security-Privacy-Trust-and/Skype-won-t-delete-my-account-and-remove-my...

As I mentioned to them, I applaud Skype's anti-fraud protocols, and would ask these account verification requirements become even more stringent.  Would you want an imposter to easily fake their way through verifying your identity and your "ownership" of the account in question?

I appreciate your and my other correspondent's observation that there is no facility within our accounts to tick "remove/cancel/delete" account.

Before you contact Skype Customer Service once again, carefully review each of your account settings and information ... I actually print screen shots!  Yes, I really do.

Best regards,

Elaine

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
Was your question answered? Please click on the Accept as a Solution link so everyone can quickly find what works! Like a post or want to say, "Thank You" - ?? Click on the Kudos button!

Please note:   To remove (delete) a Skype Account, you must contact Skype Customer Service directly. We here in the Community cannot process account-related service requests.

Trustworthy information: Brian Krebs: 3 Basic Rules for Online Safety and Consumer Reports: Guide to Internet Security

Online Safety Tips: Do not accept contact invitations from anyone whom you do not know, and change your passwords regularly and often.

Do you have a Skype trick up your sleeve?  Share your Solutions and Tips with us!

Elaine
Moderator icon
Kudos: 1962
Message 2 of 12 (6,889 Views)

Unable to delete Skype Account - Creation date (month and year) of Skype Account

[ Edited ]

As I told the representative, it's easier to get a divorce than delete an unwanted Skype account. Years ago we also tried to delete a Skype account of a diseased person- it's impossible.

The link you provided describes the exact same problems I experienced. As example I don't have the original welcome email from Skype when the account was created.

In order to beat the Skype red-tape, you provided the following useful info:

You are correct - the date your account was created does not appear in our account information.  You may contact Skype Customer Service separately to ask what this date is

Zebra-ZA
Casual Adventurer
Message 3 of 12 (6,874 Views)

Re: Unable to delete Skype Account - email address used

Which email account does Skype require:

a) The original email address; or

b) The current registered email

for the account you want to delete. There is conflicting info on this issue.

People's email addresses changes, and old email addresses become redundent. You may not know which email address was used to create the account, especially when it was done years ago.

Zebra-ZA
Casual Adventurer
Message 4 of 12 (6,869 Views)

Unable to delete Skype Account - answers does not match data stored by Skype

[ Edited ]

After answering the 5 questions asked by Skype, you receive the following message:

"Thank you for the information provided, we appreciate it. However, we are sorry as not all of the answers match the data stored in our systems. Based on this we cannot carry out the request for safety reasons.

Please check your records and contact us again with the correct answers."

a) The problem is you don't know which question / answer has the problem.

b) I also noted the Skype representative received a correct answer but mistakenly believed it was wrong.

c) It appears Skype is teasing the public and its users, using "security reasons" as an excuse.

d) If you want to delete a Skype account you created, you should have the right to do it, without unreasonable harrasement by Skype.

e) Its easier to update your banking details than to delete a Skype account. The banks are not so unreasonable when you can't answer a question- as info on you account may be old or you may in all fairness not know the info. e.g. the bank may have an old email address which wasn't updated.

f) We use different Skype accounts on different devices, to enable the one to call the other. You may not know all info on each and every account.

In all fairness, I still believe Skype is unreasonable when you want to delete an account you created.

Zebra-ZA
Casual Adventurer
Message 5 of 12 (6,866 Views)

Re: Unable to delete Skype Account - answers does not match data stored by Skype

Hi, Zebra-ZA,

Regarding this part of your commentary:

Which email account does Skype require:

a) The original email address; or

b) The current registered email

for the account you want to delete. There is conflicting info on this issue.

People's email addresses changes, and old email addresses become redundent. You may not know which email address was used to create the account, especially when it was done years ago.

I have just encountered this scenario myself.  I have flagged your thread for review by those to whom I report.

Best regards,

Elaine

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
Was your question answered? Please click on the Accept as a Solution link so everyone can quickly find what works! Like a post or want to say, "Thank You" - ?? Click on the Kudos button!

Please note:   To remove (delete) a Skype Account, you must contact Skype Customer Service directly. We here in the Community cannot process account-related service requests.

Trustworthy information: Brian Krebs: 3 Basic Rules for Online Safety and Consumer Reports: Guide to Internet Security

Online Safety Tips: Do not accept contact invitations from anyone whom you do not know, and change your passwords regularly and often.

Do you have a Skype trick up your sleeve?  Share your Solutions and Tips with us!

Elaine
Moderator icon
Message 6 of 12 (6,842 Views)

Re: Unable to delete Skype Account - answers does not match data stored by Skype

[ Edited ]

Elaine,

When you create a Skype account, you use an email address. I consider this the original email of the account. The first email address used to create the account.

You may change the email address initially used to create the Skype account. This new email address becomes the current registered email address on a Skype account.

I tried to ask the Skype representative which email address they wanted, but they refused to answer, enjoying my agony ! So Skype doesn't want to help their own users. If you give them both email addresses, they should be able to figure out if you are familiar with the account. By giving them both, your request is rejected as you provide the wrong answer.

I find the responses from Skype extremely rude when you try to solve a problem (delete an account) and they (Skype representative) give you 5 questions to answer and treat you like a criminal when you can't answer them. You make it worse by asking for even stricter rules (See your post above), making it even harder for Skype users.

I was once unable to log into my own Skype account and Skype asked me questions which I could only answer by logging into the account (e.g. the exact current balance on the account). This is the same method, treating Skype users as criminals for wanting to use or manage Skype accounts. Please look at the public feedback regarding this issue, and you will note its a problem which Skype refuses to fix. Its poor customer service and poor PR towards Skype users. Any user should have the right to delete an unwanted account, without any harrasment or being treated as a crook for wanting to do it.

I believe Skype harrasses more Skype users with these measures than preventing fraudulent use of accounts.

Skype is free to call me. I gave my tel no. to the Skype representative and ask him/her to call me. They refused.

Zebra-ZA
Casual Adventurer
Message 7 of 12 (6,835 Views)

Hi, Zebra-Za,

Thank you for your further explanation.

Skype is free to call me. I gave my tel no. to the Skype representative and ask him/her to call me. They refused.

Skype does not have a telephone call-in or call-back facility.  Customer Service is provided via e-mail or live chat for those eligible.

If you wish to do so, and if you retained the information, you may send the agent's or agents' names to me via private message.  Please, do not post the details of your chat sessions here in the Community.  Thank you.

Best regards,

Elaine

Elaine
Moderator icon
Message 8 of 12 (6,827 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi Elaine

I had the same experience with 2 representatives. Its the same experience as the user in the link you provided, and others.

Please try it for yourselves. Contact Skype and ask to delete a Skype account created a few years ago. See if you can get it deleted.

Which details would the average person have of the original registration?

If it's Skype company policy to make it impossible to delete an account, Skype won !

Please try this for yourselves. I believe the problem is company policy and not the fault of individual support agents.

Zebra-ZA
Casual Adventurer
Message 9 of 12 (6,823 Views)

[ Edited ]

created since around janurary and the email is [Removed for privacy] my contacts are [Removed for privacy], [Removed for privacy], [Removed for privacy], and [Removed for privacy] and the country is the United States also my account name is probably [Removed for privacy] or [Removed for privacy]

kizzywizzy
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 2
Message 10 of 12 (6,799 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling