Stop strangers calling...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Stop strangers calling...

Hello! I keep getting stangers send me IMs and try to phone me, particularly when I'm connected on my Android phone.

My settings on both my phone and my computer are set to "contact only"  in all privacy settings and the option to have my username listed on the web is unticked and yet these people can still contact me.

What can I do?

am_yuh
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 3 (1,069 Views)

Re: Stop strangers calling...

am_yuh wrote:

Hello! I keep getting stangers send me IMs and try to phone me, particularly when I'm connected on my Android phone.

My settings on both my phone and my computer are set to "contact only"  in all privacy settings and the option to have my username listed on the web is unticked and yet these people can still contact me.

What can I do?

Please right click on the Skype Icon in your system tray and change your status to "Offline" for 5 seconds and then back to "Online".

This only needs to be done once when this is going on. It would be best, if possibe, to do this from a computer vs. a phone.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 1614
Message 2 of 3 (1,057 Views)

Re: Stop strangers calling...

I've been having a similar problem to this for about half a year. I keep having to go to my Skype privacy settings and change the "Allow calls from..." and "Allow IMs from..." settings to "people in my Contact list only", as every few days they reset to "anyone". I think this has been happening since I set up Skype on my Android phone, but the privacy settings on my phone are also set to "people in my Contact list only" - and it even gets reset during periods when I don't use Skype on my phone (it was actually uninstalled from my phone for a few months, during which I STILL had to reset my privacy settings every few days).

I've tried the trick you suggested of going offline then online, but if it doesn't work (which I don't expect it to, I've gone offline many times in the past) do you have any other tips? Research suggests that for some users this is has been an ongoing issue for over three years. I have tried installing different versions of Skype, including older versions and the most recent beta, but nothing so far has worked. I'll let you know if the offline/online trick has worked.

slishak
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 3 of 3 (1,053 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling