Spoofing email? "Verify your Skype Account"

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Accepted Solution

Spoofing email? "Verify your Skype Account"

Hi, I have just recently received an email from  --- Skype (maybe) that starts with:

Hello dear, 

Please Verify Your Skype Account
Your account has been randomly selected for Skype account verification, and you will be taken through a series of identity verification pages.

Protecting the security of your Skype account is our primary concern, and we apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.
please login to your account by secure Skype login site  https://  secure.skype  .com  (without the spaces to communicate....

When you click on the link it takes you to this page:

skype . host. org / ect...

Obviously, I did not enter my details.

Is this a spoof?

johnjelf
Novel Adventurer

Accepted Solution

It is, I just wanted to warn other skype users in case someone else does get this and is fooled by it so clicks on one of the links, I have checked and secured all my accounts as well as reporting it to skype and paypal. Thank you

View solution in original post
marshallpeters
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 8 (2,539 Views)

Re: Spoofing email? "Verify your Skype Account"

The phishing filter just went up. It did not for the first 1/2 hour or so.

I figured it was bogus. For all those... it is.
marshallpeters
Novel Adventurer
Message 2 of 8 (2,537 Views)

I've received a *deluge* of emails stating that I need to verify my skype account by logging onto it. The "from" address is skype.com. The emails don't have a link. So apparently there's no phishing attempt involved... I've set up a gmail filter, so emails containing these words are automatically being routed to "trash". However, I fear this filter may affect legitimate emails from skype. What, if anything, should I do, to deal with this deluge? (It is quite annoying!)

albopf
Casual Tourist
Message 3 of 8 (2,164 Views)

albopf wrote:

I've received a *deluge* of emails stating that I need to verify my skype account by logging onto it. The "from" address is skype.com. The emails don't have a link. So apparently there's no phishing attempt involved... I've set up a gmail filter, so emails containing these words are automatically being routed to "trash". However, I fear this filter may affect legitimate emails from skype. What, if anything, should I do, to deal with this deluge? (It is quite annoying!)

afaik, Skype doesn't employ such verification processes.  So I almost certain (about 99.99%), that such emails are not from Skype. 

VooDooDoll
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 223
Message 4 of 8 (2,161 Views)

I have just received a spoof email apparently from PayPal saying that I just sent £18 to Skype, it is a phishing email

johnjelf
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 5 of 8 (1,948 Views)

I have just received a spoof email apparently from PayPal saying that I just sent £18 to Skype, it is a phishing email

To clarify, are you asking if it is a phishing e-mail, or stating the fact that it is a phishing e-mail?

Regardless, if in doubt, if you have not already done so, please change the passwords of your Skype, PayPal, e-mail, and payment method accounts immediately!  Review your Skype and Paypal account purchase history to ensure no fraudulent payments have been processed.

Regards,

elainem77

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
If a reply answered your question, please click on the Accept as a Solution link so others following in your footsteps can find what works! If anyone helped you, you can show your appreciation and thanks by clicking on the Kudos button!

Good catch! :happy:  My thanks to those of you who pointed out that in my instruction on how to contact Skype Customer Service that the blue "Send" button has been replaced with a green Next button, and that to file an e-mail request, we click "Submit."

Trustworthy information: David Krebs: 3 Basic Rules for Online Safety and Consumer Reports: Guide to Internet Security

Online Safety Tip: Do not accept contact invitations from anyone whom you do not know.

Do you have a Skype trick up your sleeve?  Share your Solutions and Tips with us!

Elaine
Moderator icon
Kudos: 1598
Message 6 of 8 (1,927 Views)

It is, I just wanted to warn other skype users in case someone else does get this and is fooled by it so clicks on one of the links, I have checked and secured all my accounts as well as reporting it to skype and paypal. Thank you

johnjelf
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 7 of 8 (1,924 Views)

Hi, johnjelf,

Thank you for your note in reply; much appreciated!  The sharing of information for the mutual benefit and assistance of everyone participating in this Community is one of the things I like the most.

Best,

Elaine

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
If a reply answered your question, please click on the Accept as a Solution link so others following in your footsteps can find what works! If anyone helped you, you can show your appreciation and thanks by clicking on the Kudos button!

Good catch! :happy:  My thanks to those of you who pointed out that in my instruction on how to contact Skype Customer Service that the blue "Send" button has been replaced with a green Next button, and that to file an e-mail request, we click "Submit."

Trustworthy information: David Krebs: 3 Basic Rules for Online Safety and Consumer Reports: Guide to Internet Security

Online Safety Tip: Do not accept contact invitations from anyone whom you do not know.

Do you have a Skype trick up your sleeve?  Share your Solutions and Tips with us!

Elaine
Moderator icon
Kudos: 1598
Message 8 of 8 (1,921 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling