Re: Skype wants to use your confidential informati...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: Skype wants to use your confidential information stored in "Skype keychain

I use Skype on Mac OSX Lion. This problem has appeared for the first time since I recently upgraded Skype to version 5.8.0.945. When I click 'Accept' I get the message 'Your Skype Name and password  are not recognised. Please check and try again later'. When I click 'Deny' (usually twice as I recall) the log in proceeds normally and I can use Skype without problems. Occasionally the dialog appears during the Skype session.  I do have a keyring which I use only for PGP.

If anyone can advise how to suppress this unwelcome dialog, I would really appreciate the help.

0 Kudos
usplitu
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 11 of 20 (1,614 Views)

What is Skype doing about this problem??? We need a solution soon!!!

cronocr
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 4
Message 12 of 20 (1,585 Views)

[ Edited ]

I should have read Claudius' advice more carefully and studied http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keychain_(Mac_OS)

before posting on Friday last.

Launching Keychain Access in the Applications folder and adding my Skype login | password has solved the problem for me. (MacOSX Lion).

Thanks Claudius.

usplitu
Novel Adventurer
Message 13 of 20 (1,576 Views)

Great for you that have time to investigate and read forums. Skype should just solve this annoying problem at once, why creating more problems where there were none?

cronocr
Novel Adventurer
Message 14 of 20 (1,543 Views)

Unbelievable....every time 2 times deny for me...unbelievably annoying.  Do we have another option than skype these days?  Surely this is skype attempting to hack into private information.  If they were up front about it, why is there no option of "never allow and stop pestering me for something that I do not want to give!!!"

skronger
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 15 of 20 (1,488 Views)

@skronger i absolutely agree. If there is a company trying to compete with Skype, this is an excellent moment to boost their marketing and take the large base of users that are being affected with this problem. After using Vista and its annoying endless confirmation dialogs, I move to MacOS to avoid all that crap. Now Skype is bringing the Vista style to MacOS with its huge window and the non-stop deny dialogs.

cronocr
Novel Adventurer
Message 16 of 20 (1,484 Views)

As requested by Claudius 4 weeks ago, I try to include a snapshot....yea...that annoyance i have seen many timese every day.  It happens on restart or after shut down.  I have to shut down a coule of times a day.  I got mac because China internet is infested and using a PC here is a disaster.  The popup has 3 buttons Deny, Always Allow, Allow.  Why is there no Always deny??  Childlike simplicity.  They don't want us to have the option, they are trying to force people to give up confidential information.  I don't know what the legal term is, but it likely is illegal.

skypecrap.jpg

Here are some alternatives to consider: http://gigaom.com/collaboration/9-great-alternatives-to-skype-for-voip-and-video-chat/

skronger
Novel Adventurer
Message 17 of 20 (1,474 Views)

also get the privacy intruding message after every call

Not only at start up....also after every call....same request for private keychain access.

0 Kudos
skronger
Novel Adventurer
Message 18 of 20 (1,470 Views)

Re: also get the privacy intruding message after every call

I have searched the web and found no solution to this, there must be a better web site than this one to get an answer

Alo I am keen to hear of a skype alterative, it has gone down hill since micro$oft bought them

Get ready to be milked.....

kennethmcdonald
Novel Tourist
Message 19 of 20 (1,441 Views)

Re: also get the privacy intruding message after every call

Microsoft is combining the Vista endless-dialogs-style with the social network steal-your-information-style. This is the new paradigm, wait for more "enhancement" a la Windows 8 right in your Mac.

cronocr
Novel Adventurer
Message 20 of 20 (1,439 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling