Skype update gave me a virus

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Skype update gave me a virus

Hello, a Skype update was available and i put it off for a few days, prolly like 2 or 3, and then finally installed it. A few hours later my Norton antivirus popped up saying an intrusion was blocked, few hours later, again.  I checked what programs had been installed/updated that day and it was only skype.  I figured it couldn't of been skype and whatever this virus was it just wasn't on the list. Next day another notifications of an attempt blocked this time i view more details and see this:

Network traffic from cdn.adnxs.com/p/1a/23/ea/b7/1a23eab730c35898c104265d6c326f1c.swf matches the signature of a known attack. The attack was resulted from \DEVICE\HARDDISKVOLUME3\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\SKYPE\PHONE\SKYPE.EXE.

this clearly saying its from skype.exe aswell as skype being the only thing installed that day tells me that update was a virus. Why is this happening? I've been using skype for years and never had problems.

ranqedinc
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 14 (1,887 Views)

Re: Skype update gave me a virus

Most probably false positive.

You need to allow Skype.exe to your norton's firewall settings.

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows-desktop-client/Cant-Connect-to-Skype/m-p/1251570/highlight/tru...

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows-desktop-client/Skype-Start-Up-Error/m-p/1734654#M166379

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows-desktop-client/cant-sign-in/m-p/1220738/highlight/true#M92277

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows-desktop-client/Trying-to-log-in-but-it-fails-every-time/m-p/96...

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6455
Message 2 of 14 (1,870 Views)

I can use skype just fine still and i have skype aswell as all my usual daily programs allowed on my firewall.  The problem is that it says it's originating from Skype.exe while im in calls and when Norton doesn't block it it opens my firefox and goes to a malicious webpage like cdn.adnxs.com. I uninstalled skype for a day and had no attempts nor firefox opening to bad websites. But I need skype as its my main source of communication with a lot of people. Any ideas?

ranqedinc
Casual Adventurer
Message 3 of 14 (1,860 Views)

[ Edited ]

I'm still having this problem, now im getting this one instead of cdn.adnxs.com. please help 

ranqedinc
Casual Adventurer
Message 4 of 14 (1,834 Views)

This is still a problem, Norton forums are saying its from your ads, why they only started doing this in the new 6.6 I don't know but I want to revert to the old version, how do I go about doing this?

ranqedinc
Casual Adventurer
Message 5 of 14 (1,800 Views)

You can uninstall current version of Skype from the control Panel and you can install Older Version.

Here is the Old version link:

http://download.skype.com/msi/SkypeSetup_6.5.0.158.msi

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6455
Message 6 of 14 (1,799 Views)

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6926
Message 7 of 14 (1,753 Views)

cdn.com is the Content Delivery Network (that's where "cdn" in the domain comes from) that Microsoft is using to deliver advertisements from server locations next to you to ensure a smooth experience.
I've forwarded your reports to the relevant team inside the organisation. They've checked the content and also advised me to share that all content that goes up in the CDN are undergoing rigorous testing for malware first.
So the problem rather seems to be a false alert from your internet security/antivirus software. Please ensure to always use their most up to date signature data.

Keep your Skype up to date
Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
Claudius
Community Manager
Community Manager icon
Kudos: 13438
Message 8 of 14 (1,699 Views)

at first when it was just the cdn i wasnt quite worried because everyone assured me it was just ads. but now its changed into something that worrys me a lot, ill attach a picture of what the new attack from skype says.

skype2.png

This new intrusion seems to be trying to allow a url to bypass my norton while safe mode is off on my pc. It now says that the intrusion target is Norton360 instead of Cody-PC which makes me think its attempting to allow itself passed my firewall. Since this attack has started showing up I  have signed out of skype and stopped it from running on startup and have not had any problems, but now I cannot communicate with my friends. The black boxes are my IP address. Please help me find a solution so I can once again use skype or tell me if this new intrusion is just as harmless as the last "cdn" one.

ranqedinc
Casual Adventurer
Message 9 of 14 (1,670 Views)

got this problem aswell.. its called command injections.. something is trying to get access to your bio so they can install programs on your computer or use your computer for Ddos attacks. really want to find out if this is a false positive or not.. someone help us please:sad:
munken
Novel Adventurer
Message 10 of 14 (1,657 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling