Skype text messages I received have gone to anothe...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Accepted Solution

Skype text messages I received have gone to another contact

I am really surprised and shocked how it has happened. When I did last one Skype upgrade in June 2012 It has become to work very strange. Sometimes when I open chat window with some contact, It lists all latest messages from that person although I have already read them.

Few days ago one friend from my contact list has received few messages I had already received before from other my skype contact. It seemed these messages were sent by me. It is really confusing.

I have no history option in privacy section and cleared all my cookies. How can I protect my privacy?

If I make skype upgrade, can these problems arrise due to upgrade? (that somehow messages are mixed and sent to other contacts)?

Thank You in advance for Your help!

Claudius
Community Manager

Accepted Solution

Please find details about the cause of this problems and how we are working on resolving it with a hotfix very soon on this page: http://heartbeat.skype.com/2012/07/imchat_issue.html
View solution in original post
SunnyLady78
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 4
Message 1 of 28 (45,623 Views)

Re: Skype text messages I received have gone to another contact

The same thing happened to me this morning. Messages sent by one contact (2 lines out of a hundred or so) were sent to another contact of mine. These 2 contacts are not connected on Skype. The 2 IMs appeared to be sent by me, so the other contact asked me if I sent them by mistake. That is the only reason I know it happened. Question is why and how often does it happen?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. I am really not inclined to use Skype until this is addressed.

0 Kudos
strayle
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 2 of 28 (45,604 Views)

The exact same thing has happened to me, except that I was the recipient of two lines of chat which were exchanged between my contact and one of his contacts. I am not connected to my friend's contact.

Strangely enough, the two messages were actually sent today on July 11, 2012 (Beijing time), but when I logged in to Skype this morning, the two messages appeared in the chat history with my contact, and it recorded it as being sent on July 10.

If it is of any use, I just updated to the latest version of Skype 5.10.0.115 (I received the two messages after logging in with the updated version), while my contact was also using the latest Italian version of Skype.

This is very disturbing and a serious breach of privacy, please address the issue immediately.

0 Kudos
bla84
Novel Tourist
Message 3 of 28 (45,594 Views)

I have the same problem, messages from one of my contacts went to another, as being sent by me. Very awkward and slightly embarassing. I hope this issue gets fixed asap, thanks

0 Kudos
victrix
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 4 of 28 (45,575 Views)

The same thing has happened to me. 

0 Kudos
KTV
Casual Tourist
Message 5 of 28 (45,566 Views)

Thanks for your reports and sorry for the inconvenience caused by this. We are currently investigating and hope to provide a solution for this soon.

Keep your Skype up to date
Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
0 Kudos
Claudius
Community Manager
Community Manager icon
Kudos: 11912
Message 6 of 28 (45,533 Views)

So looks like I'm not the only one affected. This is a major concern. Very serious issue I hope Skype will fix soon.

0 Kudos
kuldardiggy
Casual Adventurer
Message 7 of 28 (44,731 Views)

This is still going on, entire conversation i had in the morning was sent to a wrong contact. This is it, i'm out!

0 Kudos
kuldardiggy
Casual Adventurer
Message 8 of 28 (42,865 Views)

Is it a problem only with 115?

What Skype is saying to the press:

"We are aware in rare circumstances IM’s between two contacts could be sent to an unintended third contact. We are rolling out a fix for this issue in the next few days and will notify our users to download an updated version of Skype."

http://techcrunch.com/2012/07/16/skype-says-its-fixing-bug-that-sent-messages-to-the-wrong-contacts

0 Kudos
rseiler
Honorary Adventurer
Kudos: 65
Message 9 of 28 (41,477 Views)

no idea, i installed and older version.. not that it gives a peace of mind but still...

0 Kudos
kuldardiggy
Casual Adventurer
Message 10 of 28 (41,253 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling