Skype is spamming my phone with sms's

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

Skype is spamming my phone with sms's

[ Edited ]

HI, I have a contact that sent me an sms like 24h ago, and Skype is continuously spamming my phone with the same message. Counted 43 till now.

Are you **bleep**ing nuts?!!?!?!!

Is this a joke?

Adrianb
Novel Adventurer

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

0 Kudos

Thanks Elaine for the effort and the time you took to reply, but I eventually figured out a fix. I logged into skype on my side, and once the messsages were read in skype, they stopped being sent to my phone. I'm guessing there's some sync issue with skype and the sms service regarding the confirmation that the sms was successfuly sent. The sender of the smses was only charged for the two original messages, and not for the copies. 

Long story short, if anyone else has this problem again, it's nothing to worry about (besides the incredible discomfort of the spam). Just log into skype, and they will go away. I just hope this doesn't happen for people who receive the sms but do not have a skype account that the sender has attached the reciever's number to.

View solution in original post
suscovs
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 5 (1,278 Views)

Re: Skype is spamming my phone with sms's

same thing happening to me. someone sent me 2 SMS-es from skype to my phone, and I keep getting them every few minutes since yesterday. so far, 130 messages, all the same in the last 18 hours. THis is really annoying, I want to be able to use my phone normally, but skype is messing things up for me, I have to keep my phone on silent, because otherwise it keeps ringing the whole day. 

I talked to the sender, they tried restarting their skype and everything, it did not help. I restarted my phone as well, did not help, this is definately some problem with the skype servers

Adrianb
Novel Adventurer
Message 2 of 5 (1,182 Views)

Hi,

I have two different suspicions, neither of which is good news:

1. I suspect something else: your cellular phone numbers have been spammed.  Your wireless service provider will probably tell you to change your phone number in order to be rid of these nuisance SMS's.  There are a few providers, though, who allow you to block numbers - research this angle.

2.  I talked to the sender, they tried restarting their skype and everything, it did not help

Please note that signing off, quitting Skype, and starting Skype again will not clear an account that is in the process of being spammed or that has been hijacked.  Neither will re-starting your phone rid you of this unwanted SMS stream. 

The person whose account is sending out unauthorized SMS messages needs to check their account immediately for fraudulent use and change their account password.  More information on this is in this FAQ article: https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA10920/what-can-i-do-if-someone-has-taken-over-my-account

Best regards,

Elaine

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
Was your question answered? Please click on the Accept as a Solution link so everyone can quickly find what works! Like a post or want to say, "Thank You" - ?? Click on the Kudos button!

Please note:   To remove (delete) a Skype Account, you must contact Skype Customer Service directly. We here in the Community cannot process account-related service requests.

Trustworthy information: Brian Krebs: 3 Basic Rules for Online Safety and Consumer Reports: Guide to Internet Security

Online Safety Tips: Do not accept contact invitations from anyone whom you do not know, and change your passwords regularly and often.

Do you have a Skype trick up your sleeve?  Share your Solutions and Tips with us!

Elaine
Moderator icon
Kudos: 1809
Message 3 of 5 (1,124 Views)

Thanks Elaine for the effort and the time you took to reply, but I eventually figured out a fix. I logged into skype on my side, and once the messsages were read in skype, they stopped being sent to my phone. I'm guessing there's some sync issue with skype and the sms service regarding the confirmation that the sms was successfuly sent. The sender of the smses was only charged for the two original messages, and not for the copies. 

Long story short, if anyone else has this problem again, it's nothing to worry about (besides the incredible discomfort of the spam). Just log into skype, and they will go away. I just hope this doesn't happen for people who receive the sms but do not have a skype account that the sender has attached the reciever's number to.

Adrianb
Novel Adventurer
Message 4 of 5 (1,110 Views)

Hi, Adrianb,

Thank you for your follow-up and report - believe it or not, I signed on just to check in on this thread!  Thank you for sharing this good news and the fix.  :wink:

With best regards,

Elaine

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
Was your question answered? Please click on the Accept as a Solution link so everyone can quickly find what works! Like a post or want to say, "Thank You" - ?? Click on the Kudos button!

Please note:   To remove (delete) a Skype Account, you must contact Skype Customer Service directly. We here in the Community cannot process account-related service requests.

Trustworthy information: Brian Krebs: 3 Basic Rules for Online Safety and Consumer Reports: Guide to Internet Security

Online Safety Tips: Do not accept contact invitations from anyone whom you do not know, and change your passwords regularly and often.

Do you have a Skype trick up your sleeve?  Share your Solutions and Tips with us!

Elaine
Moderator icon
Kudos: 1809
Message 5 of 5 (1,102 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling