Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Skype account hacked - Useless and unhelpful Skype customer service

[ Edited ]

Hi all,

My skype account hacked and calls made by hacker today until my balance was left with £0.12, luckily my account balance was only about £12 to start with and auto top up was turned off.

I contacted Skype customer services via chat and I must say they were UNHELPFUL that they did NOTHING to help me apart from a free advise of changing the password which even my grandma would have done out of the common sense. [Yes, that was the first thing I did as soon I noticed an illegal activity on my account, doh !]

I am an IT consultant and can pretty much vouch that account was hacked due to loose security polocies or mishandling of customer's data at skype's end and not from my client login PC, applications etc. I trust the level of security my laptops and machines are always equipped with. I blame not only write skype application

Not only I have lost credit the but more importantly the trust I had in skype ! Bye bye skype. Google chat is the way forward for me !!!

adeelmpk
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 8
Message 1 of 36 (11,760 Views)

[ Edited ]

adeelmpk wrote:

1. I contacted Skype customer services via chat and I must say they were UNHELPFUL that they did NOTHING to help me apart from a free advise of changing the password

2. which even my grandma would have done out of the common sense. [Yes, that was the first thing I did as soon I noticed an illegal activity on my account, doh !]

3. and can pretty much vouch that account was hacked due to loose security polocies 

Hello,

I'm sorry that you have had this experience.

1. I'm not sure what more you feel that our Customer Support people could advise you to do.

2. Unfortunately not everyone is as savvy as you. On this Forum we deal with many who only change their passwords after we advise them to do so.

3. The ONLY way a Skype account can be hacked is by the hacker knowing or "cracking" your password. As an IT consultant you will be aware of the fact that the use of password crackers is rising at an alarming rate.

SKYPE STAFF MODERATOR & BETA TESTER
TIME ZONE - US EASTERN - PHILADELPHIA PA USA - UTC MINUS 5 HOURS

I recommend that you always run the latest software version: Windows & Mac

If my advice helped to fix your issue please mark it as a solution to help others.
Please note that I generally don't respond to unsolicited Private Messages. Thank you.
NormanM
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator icon
Kudos: 1404
Message 2 of 36 (11,746 Views)

Re: MODERATOR

[ Edited ]

Hi NormanM

Thanks for addressing my concerns, allow me to clarify myself please.

I'm sorry that you have had this experience.

1. I'm not sure what more you feel that our Customer Support people could advise you to do.

I have absolutely no complaint with the way the customer services has dealt with my

issue, they were simply following the intructions they have been provided with.

I have been let down by the company security policies, at a minimum my expectations were that I (the owner of account) be provided the time and location [IP adresses] when someone used to log in using my account. Additionally once its established that account has been misused they should compensate the customer losses.

2. Unfortunately not everyone is as savvy as you. On this Forum we deal with many who only change their passwords after we advise them to do so.

So if someone like me who understands security inside out and operate in a very highly secured environment can get his account hacked, shouldn't you [skype] think that there could be loopholes in your applicaion code and perhaps you can look at fixing those bugs, once again if I [customer] has followed all security procedures, the provider [skype] should compensate if the security of an account was to be compromised.

3. The ONLY way a Skype account can be hacked is by the hacker knowing or "cracking" your password. As an IT consultant you will be aware of the fact that the use of password crackers is rising at an alarming rate.

I am sorry but in this instance I am going to blame skype for NOT providing enough security measurments to protect customer data, I own a number of accounts and have never had any security breches in the past 10+ years.

Yes I change passwords at regular intervals and they are secure enough not be compromised by a smiple dictionary based brute force attack etc.

You can possibly compensate the account credit I have lost but it's not going to be easy to reinstate the customer trust I have now lost in Skype. I used to use skype for personal and business.

adeelmpk
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 36 (11,735 Views)

Please DO NOT change the thread title, I would like to keep it as it is ;

Skype account hacked - Useless and unhelpful Skype customer service

0 Kudos
adeelmpk
Novel Adventurer
Message 4 of 36 (11,730 Views)

[ Edited ]

OK, I have successfully delt with the same problem and would reccomned the following action.

click through to this support page

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA10920/What-can-I-do-if-someone-has-taken-over-my-account

Then  click through to live chat support. Explain the situation. You will need to tell them the email address that you had registered to your Skype account. They will then check to see if there's been unusual activity.

I was then asked for my last payment to that account, the order number and how I paid, so have this ready before the live chat.

The woman was very helpful and reset my account there and then

0 Kudos
jimjams
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 5 of 36 (11,700 Views)

Unbelievable. Anyone else think the last message was a skype post? Online chat are useless and no refund is given for security breaches. 

The same happened to me. Incredibly, the first time it happened I thought I could stop it by disabling the auto recharge function.

No. Someone just re-enables it of course.

I have not cancelled the source of payment - paypal - but I have lost £54.24 thought someone calling taiwan on my bill. Thanks for nothing Skype.  

helenetyrrell
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 6 of 36 (11,466 Views)

RE: Skype account hacked - Useless and unhelpful Skype customer service

[ Edited ]

My account was also hacked / cracked last night.

I am also an IT consulatant, my passwords are not easily broken.

Chat was useless, the first just gave up.

What happend was some one (in China) added a subscription to Guatamalla (cost £5.99) and then I 4 calls were made, I noticed immediately, changed the password. None of the calls to Guatamalla actually connected, so no loss to Skype - but teh customer services REFUSED to refund the unauthorised subscription.

I took screen grabs of the chat (transcripts don't seem to be available).

Not certain what my rights are as a consumer, probably none, but it leave me having no choice to leave skype as a paid service, and only use it for free chat. Currently I operateALL my business phone numbers via Skype.

If they keep this up they will go out of business!

I agree with the OP,  a security loop hole has been created, probably via the Skype Developers API, that now is being used in this way to crack accounts. You only have to look at the number of reported hacked accounts that has grown massively in recent times.

Skype are not taking this seriously and we need the risk to Skype user to be publiscised.

Alanf
Casual Adventurer
Message 7 of 36 (11,459 Views)

I should have written: I have *now cancelled ... paypal. Not I have 'not'! 

I encourage everyone to do the same and to tell their friends and family to stop using skype as a paid service. It cannot be trusted and you will not get a refund when it goes wrong.

£54.24 is what I have lost in someone making calls to Taiwan.  Save yourself the frustration.

0 Kudos
helenetyrrell
Novel Adventurer
Message 8 of 36 (11,448 Views)

Are you using Skype on Windows?  If so, you deserve all you get! 

Skype has significant security issues, but the biggest problem is Windows.  It has NO SECURITY WHATSOEVER.  Now that Microsoft have taken over Skype, the security has fallen to the same level as Windows - ie: non-existant.

WARNING: DO NOT do anything that involves money on the 'net using Windows.  Do not do "Internet Banking", shopping, telephony or anything else.  You will have your money stolen.  Please get a clue and install a secure operating system (Linux or BSD) - even if only to do things involving money.  Neither Microsoft nor Apple can offer any proper security (though Apple try hard!).

0 Kudos
mictester
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 3
Message 9 of 36 (11,441 Views)

3. is entirely untrue. It is trivially simple to crack Windows passwords and Skype is even easier. Windows has no effective security whatsoever.
DO NOT use Windows for ANYTHING THAT INVOLVES MONEY. You're throwing it away!
0 Kudos
mictester
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 3
Message 10 of 36 (11,439 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling