Skype History

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

Skype History

Is it possible for skype to come up with a way of choosing what history to keep and what to delete? Or maybe there is such a function that I am not aware of? Thanks

Rod28
Former Staff

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

0 Kudos

Hi,

Thank you for your clarification.

It is not currently possible to delete/retain the chat history of selected contacts.

We do thank you for sharing your idea with us. We appreciate your feedback and will inform our developers about your suggestion.

To enjoy the latest features and improvements, always make sure you're using the latest version of Skype:
www.skype.com/go/download-skype/

Rod

__________________________________________________________________________________

If you found this answer helpful, please give Kudos. If it resolved your issue, mark it as a solution to help others. Thanks!

View solution in original post
wanjikunjunge
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 4
Message 1 of 8 (3,423 Views)

Re: Skype History

Hi wanjikunjunge,

By default, Skype archives your IMs (instant messages) and stores them locally on your computer. I am happy to tell you that you can select the length of the time to keep your chat history.

To do that:
1. Sign in to Skype application. On the menu bar, select Skype > Privacy….
2. Click the 'Show advanced options' button to display the advanced settings pane.
3. Locate the 'Keep history for' drop-down box and select how long you would like to retain your chat history: forever, no history, 2 weeks, 1 month or 3 months.
4. Click 'Save' to save your settings.

You can delete your entire conversation history – including instant messages, calls, voice messages, SMS and sent and received files. It is not possible though to delete individual conversations, or the history for just one contact. Once the chat history is deleted, it cannot be recovered.

Hope this helps.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
If answer was helpful please mark it with Kudos and if issue is resolved mark it with solution. This will help other users find this answer more easily. Thanks in advance!

Naoj1027
Former Staff
Kudos: 22
Message 2 of 8 (3,395 Views)

Hi,

I know all that regarding the options for the period one wants to keep the history. My issue is having a function that allows you to chose the contacts whose history you want to retain or delete. That shouldnt be too hard to come up with. Skype needs to come up with a way one can select and delete.

wanjikunjunge
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 4
Message 3 of 8 (3,390 Views)

Hi,

Thank you for your clarification.

It is not currently possible to delete/retain the chat history of selected contacts.

We do thank you for sharing your idea with us. We appreciate your feedback and will inform our developers about your suggestion.

To enjoy the latest features and improvements, always make sure you're using the latest version of Skype:
www.skype.com/go/download-skype/

Rod

__________________________________________________________________________________

If you found this answer helpful, please give Kudos. If it resolved your issue, mark it as a solution to help others. Thanks!

Rod28
Former Staff
Kudos: 22
Message 4 of 8 (3,344 Views)

Good Day,

I'm asking for "Skype Name" or"Login Name" history how I can delete this? I hope you helpon this  matter. Thank very much for your time.

Sincerly,

Wil_gabya

wil_gabya
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 5 of 8 (3,086 Views)

I deleted chat history on my laptop but it's still pop up on my Samsung S4? How to delete history on Skype android?

Naoj1027 wrote:

Hi wanjikunjunge,

By default, Skype archives your IMs (instant messages) and stores them locally on your computer. I am happy to tell you that you can select the length of the time to keep your chat history.

To do that:
1. Sign in to Skype application. On the menu bar, select Skype > Privacy….
2. Click the 'Show advanced options' button to display the advanced settings pane.
3. Locate the 'Keep history for' drop-down box and select how long you would like to retain your chat history: forever, no history, 2 weeks, 1 month or 3 months.
4. Click 'Save' to save your settings.

You can delete your entire conversation history – including instant messages, calls, voice messages, SMS and sent and received files. It is not possible though to delete individual conversations, or the history for just one contact. Once the chat history is deleted, it cannot be recovered.

Hope this helps.

I deleted message history on my laptop but same messages still pop up on my Samsung S4. How to delete messages on Skype Android?

koppar55
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 6 of 8 (3,060 Views)

I'VE POSTED THSI IN ANOTHER THREAD - Skype's "official"answer is frustrating ..

I do it with a little and rather obscure program called Skype History Helper, although the actual name seems to be skypechatremove. It used to be in a link in this community, but that no longer works. Since I found it very useful and I see many inquiries about the issue of deleting individual Skype conversations, I searched and managed to find it in http://www.findthatzip-file.com/search-16521110-hZIP/winrar-winzip-download-skypechatremove-zip.htm. I tried it all the way prior to excitung the setup, which I can't do because I already have it installed.

It is quite simple. Close Skype and run it: It asks for 2 things: Skype user name and Contact name. Make sure you get both right (see Profile for the actual Contact name). Sometimes it gives you an error, but if you reopen Skype and check the Contact's history, it is indeed gone!

The lack of this feature in Skype is frustrating. Hope this helps others as it helped me; spread the word, locate it in more servers ...

Before posting, I found this very useful link about it:

Also in http://en.chat4o.com/remove-skype-history-for-one-contact/

Also, there's Skypex (http://bryancockerham.com/skypex-delete-skype-messages) seems much more pro, though it costs $5.

andreco.cali
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 7 of 8 (2,439 Views)

Transfer post to Skype for Mobile: Android message board.

Elaine
Moderator icon
Kudos: 1962
Message 8 of 8 (1,458 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling