Skype Emoticons? Is this real or virus?

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]

Hello There,

For some time now I have been trying to get rid of this Skype emoticons on the right of my screen and also it keeps popping up this message under my name to ask others to download it:

**** PLEASE DO NOT DOWNLOAD THIS URL, JUST IN CASE IT IS A VIRUS!

Your skype does not support extended icons. Please download the extension here:

Moderator note: dangerous link removed.  Be suspicious for anything containing this text as this is clearly not originating from Skype: skypemoticonsb.asia

A colleagues skype sent me above message and I thought he asked me to download it as I was just skyping with him and it popped up in the middle of our conversation!  So I downloaded it thinking he sent me and voila, now I have some funny emoticons on the right panel of my skype screen and the above Message keeps popping up in ALL my conversations with people!

Help me to get rid of it please!  i contacted Norton Antivirus customer service and they did some thorough *wash* but this thing still is there!  And cannot be uninstalled either from program!

Help.... thanks so much in advance!

Kiongna

Accepted Solution

by ruwim

In Skype open Tools -> Options -> Advanced settings. At the bottom of this screen you should see a menu item saying “Manage other programs access to Skype”. Click on this menu.

You should see there the SE.exe application as allowed program. Hover with your mouse over the SE.exe item. Note location of this application. Remove this application from the list of allowed programs (press the Remove button).

Delete the whole folder where the SE.exe file is located.

View solution in original post
ki2
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 3
Message 1 of 13 (8,136 Views)

Re: Skype Emoticons? Is this real or virus?

can you check if this program appear in the Manage Other Programs Access to Skype section (menu Tools >> Options >> Advanced)?  

VooDooDoll
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 255
Message 2 of 13 (8,131 Views)
ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 7398
Message 3 of 13 (8,120 Views)

Thanks so much !!!!! It worked!!!

I followed the post by DAVID - like a miracle it worked!

Muahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

So appreciate :happy:

ki2
Casual Adventurer
Message 4 of 13 (8,071 Views)

Thanks VooDoo Doll for your reply, I was away and when I came back, I saw Ruwim's posted 2nd. link first and I followed what a DAVID said and it worked like a charm!

I really appreciate your reply :happy:

ki2
Casual Adventurer
Message 5 of 13 (8,064 Views)

ref: Skype keeps saying no credit ? Using free video and calls !!

Elaine
Moderator icon
Kudos: 1288
Message 6 of 13 (7,936 Views)

I've got bad news.....

The solution by DAVID worked for a while... the pop up message with the dangerous url to download the malware does not come out any more during my skype conversations BUT the emoticon bar on the right hand side has come back!

I had gone and delete again the SE.exe in the Processes part in the Task Manager and delete from the folder also under search it goes off and then after a while COMES ON AGAIN !  I then deleted the entire skype program and reinstalled and STILL it COMES ON AGAIN the emoticon bar on the right!

Then today, I got a message on the TOP bar of skype that " API - we want to let you know that the SE.exe app will stop working with SKYPE starting December 2013.  Please see our FAQ for more information"  

I'm truly frustrated..... help?

Thanks in advance.....

ki2
Casual Adventurer
Message 7 of 13 (7,885 Views)

In Skype open Tools -> Options -> Advanced settings. At the bottom of this screen you should see a menu item saying “Manage other programs access to Skype”. Click on this menu.

You should see there the SE.exe application as allowed program. Hover with your mouse over the SE.exe item. Note location of this application. Remove this application from the list of allowed programs (press the Remove button).

Delete the whole folder where the SE.exe file is located.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 7398
Message 8 of 13 (7,866 Views)

THANKS SO VERY MUCH RUWIM !!! :bigsmile: :(y): :wink:

It WORKED !!!!

I'm now going to wait and see whether it pops up again, if yes, you will see me here again, if not *bows* I'm really grateful for techno people like yourself!

muahhhhh

ki2
Casual Adventurer
Message 9 of 13 (7,737 Views)

Hello There,

For some time now I have been trying to get rid of this Skype emoticons on the right of my screen and also it keeps popping up this message under my name to ask others to download it:

**** PLEASE DO NOT DOWNLOAD THIS URL, JUST IN CASE IT IS A VIRUS!

Your skype does not support extended icons. Please download the extension here:

Moderator note: dangerous link removed.  Be suspicious for anything containing this text as this is clearly not originating from Skype: skypemoticonsb.asia

A colleagues skype sent me above message and I thought he asked me to download it as I was just skyping with him and it popped up in the middle of our conversation!  So I downloaded it thinking he sent me and voila, now I have some funny emoticons on the right panel of my skype screen and the above Message keeps popping up in ALL my conversations with people!

Help me to get rid of it please!  i contacted Norton Antivirus customer service and they did some thorough *wash* but this thing still is there!  And cannot be uninstalled either from program!

Help.... thanks so much in advance!

lanna.lanna5
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 10 of 13 (3,665 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling