Skype Closing March 15 Scam?

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Skype Closing March 15 Scam?

I basically got this message forwarded to me from 2 of my friends. English (Google Translate): Hi, this is a message from the creator of Skype and tell you a little about what will happen to Skype on 15 March. Please do not send it back to the person you received it from. Dear members of Skype, Skype will be closed on 15 March, because it gets very crowded. There were many users complain that Skype will be very slow. Records show that there are a lot of active Skype users, as well as many new members. We will send this message around to see if members are active or not. If you are active please send to 15 other users using Copy + Paste to show that they are still active. * Those who do not send this message within 2 weeks will be deleted without hesitation to make more space. Send this message to all your friends, to show that they are still active and not deleted. The founder of Skype .. Be sure to send it Tod..

I wasn't thinking straight and sent it to about 12 people until my friend said something like "This message doesn't look right" Okie. I read that I'm safe from this scam unless I reply OR forward it to people. Well, the 2 friends that forwarded it to me, I replied saying "This is a scam, delete/remove the message" but they are both offline. And 8 people of the 12 I sent it to. Are originally offline, so they didn't even SEE the message before I removed it (I went into each peoples thing and removed the message) meaning, only 4 people of the 12 wear online. Well 3 people I KNOW didn't see it because they just leave their Skype on without doing anything. Meaning basically only 1 person out of 12 saw the scam. And I still safe? Even if only 4 out of 12 people were online, and 1 out of the 4 actually saw it? Am I still safe even if I removed ALL the messages? Or do I still have to worry about scanning my laptop and changing my passwords for everything?

Synistr
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 1 of 5 (9,776 Views)

Re: Skype Closing March 15 Scam?

Recent Update:  

I just did 2 antivirus scans. One for basic stuff and the other for Virus and Spyware. They both came up clean. I'm still tempted to do that Windows Defender Scan just in case but that just takes about 6 hours for me. Sorry I'm panicing about this but I've been scammed way too many times on my old Laptop when I saw younger and I don't want it to happen again.

Synistr
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 2 of 5 (9,768 Views)

This is a known scam and phishing attempt.  They could also be "farming" for valid or active Skype account names.  Block/Report as Abuse or if sent via e-mail, blacklist the sender's domain as spam.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
Was your question answered? Please click on the Accept as a Solution link so everyone can quickly find what works! Like a post or want to say, "Thank You" - ?? Click on the Kudos button!

Please note:   To remove (delete) a Skype Account, you must contact Skype Customer Service directly. We here in the Community cannot process account-related service requests.

Trustworthy information: Brian Krebs: 3 Basic Rules for Online Safety and Consumer Reports: Guide to Internet Security

Online Safety Tips: Do not accept contact invitations from anyone whom you do not know, and change your passwords regularly and often.

Do you have a Skype trick up your sleeve?  Share your Solutions and Tips with us!

0 Kudos
Elaine
Moderator icon
Kudos: 1956
Message 3 of 5 (9,744 Views)

Elaine
Moderator icon
Kudos: 1956
Message 4 of 5 (9,714 Views)

This was a scam nobody forward this message
Posted from Apple iPod Touch
Mlxpro
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 5 of 5 (9,583 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling