Re: Unsolicited call - blocked and reported abuse

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Scary unsolicited call

Hi,

I just received a call from helpwss.com stating something about an important security alert. I ignored the call and then blocked the number because it was really bizarre. I am wondering if it was a real alert, or was someone trying to be malicious? I need to find out if anyone knows what this was because my parents are older and this will scare them to pieces. If the call was meant to do harm, I need to warn my parents and grandparents. Thanks

Christy
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 14 (1,481 Views)

Re: Scary unsolicited call

I I also received a call from helpwss.com. I wonder what's going on.
Posted from Apple iPad
kabuikak
Casual Tourist
Message 2 of 14 (1,366 Views)

I got this same call.  It was an artificially created voice, and was basically a scare to get people to go to a helpwss.com (spelled out).  It said that my computer's security wasn't good enough (umm yeah.)

I got the call from a user usa-a14.protection.alert.notice (this sounds like more of a targeted advertisement from the name), and this is the first place that Google came up with that was remotely helpful.

If there's a better place to share this info, I'll find it.  I'm considering calling Skype tech support up.  Paying customer or not, it's not something I want on my Skype.

JenevaRay
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 14 (1,330 Views)

And they called again... ugh.
JenevaRay
Novel Adventurer
Message 4 of 14 (1,320 Views)

Reported abuse - to repeat, go to the call history
(View menu > Recent)
Select the call in question (HELPWSS.COM will be part of the incoming call information itself, but to be doubly sure, view the profile first)
Right click on the call, and Block it. Reporting abuse is presented in the window that comes up.
JenevaRay
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 14 (1,314 Views)

I just got one of those calls...I'm very upset about it!
Posted from Apple iPad
Ingridxavier1
Casual Tourist
Message 6 of 14 (1,255 Views)

Unsolicited call - blocked and reported abuse

Got call but did not answer.  Hope this is a real Skype community site since I never entered here before.   It would be amazing if the call had a fake site for the reports.

Add abuse to your block of this caller.

BTW, funny that Skype's spell check does not recognize the word Skype.

JMont1
Casual Tourist
Message 7 of 14 (1,209 Views)

I have received same call 10 minutes ago and then again 5 minutes after. Have you guys found out what's going on? :s

irascorpio
Casual Tourist
Message 8 of 14 (1,203 Views)

Yeah, I've received 2 of these today. Gonna guess tomorrow or Monday we'll all get a nice "We're sorry but some of our phone numbers were hacked..." email from Skype, seems like the normal thing for a newly purchased company that falls to Microsoft.
wurgy
Novel Tourist
Message 9 of 14 (1,196 Views)

please visit the thread below for instructions and suggestions on how to deal with such unwanted and suspicious activities;

How to Handle Suspicious Calls, Messages and Contact Requests (Scam/Spam)

:happy:

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES
SEE MORE TIPS, TRICKS, TUTORIALS AND UPDATES in
| skypefordummies.blogspot.com | 

Primemover
Power User
Kudos: 1548
Message 10 of 14 (1,192 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling