Re: Scammer

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

Scammer

[ Edited ]

Be on the look out for people using the identity of U.S. Military Officers to try to scam lonely women out of their money. I got a contact request from a General Martins Dempsey. I was curious about why a U.S. Army General would want to contact me. It turned out to be an imposter trying to get money. I didn't fall for it, but some other woman might. Beware of military officers contacting you. I was contacted by two military officers. I blocked the first one, but played along with the second one for a while. He even sent me a number to call to get his step son out of Ghana by of course sending money. It turns out there is a real General Martins Dempsey, but this guy is just using his identity and picture. He actually called me and did not have an American accent, which an American General would have. They must think American women are really stupid.

NormanM
Staff Moderator

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

TO ALL

At your client window please visit: Tools> Options> Privacy> Allow Calls/IMs from people in my Contact List ONLY> SAVE

View solution in original post
jlm1354
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 7
Message 1 of 18 (6,550 Views)

thanks for sharing.  basically I think majority of users are already aware of this scam or can immediately realize that such suspicious approach is a scam.  Unfortunately, there are still a few users who fall for such fraud.  You can also report the username of the caller/user to abuse@skype.net.

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES
SEE MORE TIPS, TRICKS, TUTORIALS AND UPDATES in
| skypefordummies.blogspot.com | 

0 Kudos
Primemover
Power User
Kudos: 1498
Message 2 of 18 (6,535 Views)

Have just seen on Skype someone who goes by the name of Mike Curtis Scaparrotti OR general Mike Curtis Scaparrotti. He has 25 or more contact names on Skype and needs to be reported Why do you need all these names. My Sister in Law is inundated with requests from him and promises of  marriage etc.

Sister is gullable aned can't see the danger.

olcote509
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 3
Message 3 of 18 (6,519 Views)

olcote509 wrote:

Have just seen on Skype someone who goes by the name of Mike Curtis Scaparrotti OR general Mike Curtis Scaparrotti. He has 25 or more contact names on Skype and needs to be reported Why do you need all these names. My Sister in Law is inundated with requests from him and promises of  marriage etc.

Sister is gullable aned can't see the danger.

I think you just need to provide Skype as much details available on hand, not necessarily all the relevant usernames of that suspicious users.  Then Skype will most likely investigate the accounts in questions, as well as the others which they think that are related to those suspicious accounts.

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES
SEE MORE TIPS, TRICKS, TUTORIALS AND UPDATES in
| skypefordummies.blogspot.com | 

Primemover
Power User
Kudos: 1498
Message 4 of 18 (6,515 Views)

Why cant this scammer be blocked by Skype?

He has at least 43 accounts with Skype using a variation in his account or user names.

Mike Curtis Scaparrotti 

He is a general nuisance....

olcote509

olcote509
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 18 (6,508 Views)

He chose the wrong girl in my case. This d___chebag was impersonating  Major General William B. Garrett III, Chief of Staff for United States Forces, Iraq. He claimed he wanted to relocate and start anew in Canada (my country). Yeah right. Give up the prestige, perks, and all that goes with the office. He must really think women are stupid in both US and Canada. Here's how stupid he is: he pulled the general's image for his Skype profile picture off Wikipedia, where just below is a picture of the real General standing with a lovely wife he claims not to have. Imposter dude didn't get very far in this case.

dirtdigger
Novel Adventurer
Message 6 of 18 (6,484 Views)

Mine was Major General William B. Garrett III, Chief of Staff United States forces, Iraq. Didn't speak to him, just text. Asswipe.
dirtdigger
Novel Adventurer
Message 7 of 18 (6,480 Views)

I actually have 3 other officers requests for contact. Same **bleep** I suspect.
dirtdigger
Novel Adventurer
Message 8 of 18 (6,478 Views)

Thank you for the posts about scammers.  Finally I realize why I keep getting contact requests from military officers, generals etc.  Luckily, I've never fallen for it.  The trouble is, now I seem to be getting more every day. Just found SIX contact requests.  Can anyone tell me what else I can do apart from clicking on the 'block' and 'report abuse' buttons?  It's very disconcerting.

bugs
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 9 of 18 (6,467 Views)

This scammer is in contact with my sister in law in the Philippines.

I have told her to  block him and not to encourage him.

He told her he wants to marry her and offered to send her $200.000 to let bher buy a house for them.

He has not shown his face on skype and refuses to talk face to face with my sister in law.

I wrote to him explaining who I was and asked him how he could trust someone he has not met or seen to have $200.000 of his to purchase a house. 

He just said that he loved her and does not even know how she looks. They just chatted.

When I chatted with him he asked who I was and when I told him he said I do not know you and told me to get lost.

olcote509
Novel Adventurer
Message 10 of 18 (6,455 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling