Reporting extortion/blackmail/scam

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Reporting extortion/blackmail/scam

So already sent this to the abuse email and wanted to post for everyone: So this person: trexie.smith is trying to extort me I have the whole conversation saved as well. Reported her off my account. Hope you guys can get this to stop this kind of stuff. I was recorded during the video call and the person was asking for money in return of deleting the file, but I would rather stand up to extortion. Thank you

jj123
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 9
Message 1 of 9 (17,370 Views)

Re: Reporting extortion/blackmail/scam

I think recording of calls (which may include skype calls and video calls) is prohibited or illegal in some countries/localities.  You can check your government's website to confirm and to possibly know what your possible options are (which may include reporting that person to your local police).

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES
SEE MORE TIPS, TRICKS, TUTORIALS AND UPDATES in
| skypefordummies.blogspot.com | 

Primemover
Power User
Kudos: 1592
Message 2 of 9 (17,360 Views)

I had the same thing happen to me today, her skype name was hotmonica2 and her full name comes up as Monica Jane Swarez... She threatened to send it to a bunch of people from my facebook friends list(even though I hadnt been logged into facebook at the time) and then went onto say I should just kill myself b/c i'll be sorry and yada yada yada....

Im thinking these people should be arrested and sent to jail for awhile, seems rather fishy to me.

kanewty
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 6
Message 3 of 9 (17,190 Views)

Please Skype team.. Do something about this new scam using your service. try to block any software that will internally record the videos. I know you cannot do something if the videos was recorded by other means of recording device like camera or video cam. but with external recording device, it has a potential to be caught by the victim...

lance27
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 3
Message 4 of 9 (17,001 Views)

This same thing happened to me yesterday.  Please skype help me find the person who is doing this and get the police involved to arrest him not just delete his account.  If not I am already in the works of getting the government involved as i have family that works for the government and will be suing you for a lot of money if you dont assist me.  Reply to this quickly

mikeman
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 5
Message 5 of 9 (16,974 Views)

There's no way to be able to track them down.  If only it were that simple, the papers would be full of stories of scammer arrests every day.  Unfortunately these scammers live in other countries and can easily create accounts with throwaway details.  I deal with the victims of exactly this kind of scam every single day on my site and can tell you from experience that the best thing to do (other than keep it in your pants in the first place, but we're all adults and know that these things happen) is to completely delete and block the scammer, report any videos as inappropriate to get them removed and warn your friends.  

JonArbuckle
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 27
Message 6 of 9 (16,898 Views)

For the record, the OP's story can be found at http://scamsurvivors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2424&p=12662 Scammers can easily fake webcam footage with freely available software. Likewise, software for recording the other person can also be found for free. All a scammer needs is to download the software and a cam session that has the girl removing her clothes and he has all he needs for the scam. It's much easier than you may think. I've been using similar tricks to record scammers doing stupid things on webcam for years
JonArbuckle
Routine Adventurer
Message 7 of 9 (16,890 Views)

Hi

Just reading through the comments on here. Something similar has just happened to me.

I am wondering if anyone has any experience of the scammer actually emailing any videos?

Thanks
youngcoupluk
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 4
Message 8 of 9 (16,481 Views)

So long as you completely block them and lock down your social media accounts, then from what we're seeing the videos are never sent to anyone.  If they do send you the link to the video when they threaten you, then report it immediately to the site in order to have it removed.  We've been dealing with this type of scam on my site for several months now, and this is what we're finding.  Completely block them and they move on.  Just be sure to post up all the scammer's details to help warn others.  The scammer won't know it's you if you don't post your own details as they can potentially run this scam on dozens of people a day and use the exact same method each time.  

JonArbuckle
Routine Adventurer
Message 9 of 9 (16,462 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling