Reporting: Skype Phishing Scam

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Reporting: Skype Phishing Scam

Hello, I received this email posing to be Skype:

Spoiler
New Skype Has Been Releases This is to notify that new updates have been released for Skype. h t t p ://www. skype-news-center. com Following are major new features : * Up to 5-way group video call. * Redesigned calling experience. * Improved video snapshots gallery. * Improved browser plugins performance on some websites. * Reduced false positives on browser plugin phone number recognition. * New presence icons. * Improved handling of calling attempts made when the user has run out of credit. * Improved access to sharing functionality To download the latest version , go to : h t t p ://www. skype-news-center. com Start downloading the update right now and let us know what you think about it. We're working on making Skype better all the time ! Talk soon, The people at Skype

Gmail gave their sending address as:

fromSkype newsletter@skype-update-center.com via b.e.rhapsody.com 
reply-toSkype <support-bwhfspvbgv4ht3au7grh2qcy4mkyq3@e.rhapsody.com>

The site they link to has *nothing* to do with Skype.

sfurlani
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 1 of 17 (3,370 Views)

Re: Reporting: Skype Phishing Scam

[ Edited ]

Please do not trust this as you can see it did NOT come from Skype.com it came from skype-update-center.com

Please do NOT click any link in that email.

The best method when things like this happen, is to go to your acccount ("Please click the Account link at the top of this page") logon using the Skype name in question and then on that page click the "View Purchase History" link, this will display any purchases in progress or completed that the Skype name in question has made. If it's not there, then it's Fake.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 500
Message 2 of 17 (3,369 Views)

I got a similar email, also in my gmail account, which I found rather weird, since Gmail usually detects spam and scams. Anyway, the email was this (I removed some info):

de:Skype newsletter@skype-update-center.com

a través de b.e.rhapsody.com hora local del remitente:Enviado a la(s) 10:59 (UTC).  

Hora local del remitente: 01:49 ✆

responder a:Skype <support-bwhfct7bgv4ht3au7grh1qc35yum6y@e.rhapsody.com>

para:xxxxxxxxxxxxx@gmail.com

fecha:16 de julio de 2011 10:59

asunto:New Skype Has Been Releases ! Upgrade Nowenviado por:b.e.rhapsody.com

New Skype Has Been Releases
This is to notify that new updates have been released for Skype.
(link to website that I'm removing)
Following are major new features :
* Up to 5-way group video call.* Redesigned calling experience.* Improved video snapshots gallery.* Improved browser plugins performance on some websites.* Reduced false positives on browser plugin phone number recognition.* New presence icons.* Improved handling of calling attempts made when the user has run out of credit.* Improved access to sharing functionality
To download the latest version , go to :
(link to website that I'm removing)
Start downloading the update right now and let us know what you think about it.
We're working on making Skype better all the time !
Talk soon,
The people at Skype

jrgomez1970
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 3 of 17 (3,363 Views)

as a general rule, download installers and updates from the Skype website only. Basically, if there are newer versions of Skype, or updates to bring added features, they will surely be posted and made available first in the Skype.com website,  and not from external websites.

You can also help Skype and other users by reporting the details of such scam/spam mails (and other forms of abuse or suspicious behavior/actions) to abuse@skype.net.

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES
SEE MORE TIPS, TRICKS, TUTORIALS AND UPDATES in
| skypefordummies.blogspot.com | 

Primemover
Power User
Kudos: 1647
Message 4 of 17 (3,359 Views)

Hi,

I also received this e-mail and like a dummy - I entered my card information and was charged $38.91. I started to feel like it was a scam so I clicked an "EXIT" link which processed my charge. 

I've already called my bank and filed a dispute but it would be helpful if someone at Skype had recommendations as to how to correct this.

Thanks!

Celisse

celissemuller
Novel Tourist
Message 5 of 17 (3,322 Views)

[ Edited ]

I think you may need to run a full anti-virus scan then immediately change your Skype account password (as well as your passwords in your other online accounts just to make sure).  then you can contact Skype customer service for further instructions or advice;

-support.skype.com/support_selection (login required)

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES
SEE MORE TIPS, TRICKS, TUTORIALS AND UPDATES in
| skypefordummies.blogspot.com | 

Primemover
Power User
Kudos: 1647
Message 6 of 17 (3,319 Views)

greyertyeyey

gio
Novel Tourist
Message 7 of 17 (3,207 Views)

Spoiler
I received this message:

Your Skype account needs update
  Skype <No-Replay@skype.com> Hide
Add to: To Do, Calendar
To:
  himelda <himelda@aol.com>
Date:
Wed, Nov 30, 2011 6:35 pm

Stationery

himeldamartinez
Novel Tourist
Message 8 of 17 (2,871 Views)

Hi I just received a call whilst online from "Skype referring me to a URL" the male voice says that there is a problem with my security.  I strongly suspect this is fake.  I cannot find where to report this.

drkbcasey
Novel Tourist
Message 9 of 17 (2,683 Views)

Re: Reporting: i got a call from skypeadmin

I got a call from the skype admin telling that an audit was conducted by which my  account seemed faulty and mentioned that i had done certain things which i had not done.

He said it would be a case if i did not show certain documents to him through the video call or  that  a business representative would visit me.Since i did not trust it i was pretty rude to the person. Kindly let me know if this was real..and if so kindly tell me what i can do about it.

jishmathew6
Novel Tourist
Message 10 of 17 (2,271 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling