Rename my user name

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

Rename my user name

Hi, I wonder whether I can change my user name or not. It is possible? My user name which While I sign in Webpage of Skype. Can I rename it?? Thanks...

Elaine

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

Hi, Omer, and welcome to the Community!

If by "user name" you mean the name other Skype users see when they add you to their Contacts list, yes; you may change this in your Profile.  Click either the Public Profile or Contacts Only and Edit.  Make your changes, and beside the box, click the check mark to save your changes.

If when you say "user name," you mean "Skype name," no; that cannot be changed.  The only way to change your Skype name would be to abandon the account and start over.

Best regards,

Elaine

View solution in original post
Ömer
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 1 of 11 (11,806 Views)

Re: Rename my user name

[ Edited ]

Hi, Omer, and welcome to the Community!

If by "user name" you mean the name other Skype users see when they add you to their Contacts list, yes; you may change this in your Profile.  Click either the Public Profile or Contacts Only and Edit.  Make your changes, and beside the box, click the check mark to save your changes.

If when you say "user name," you mean "Skype name," no; that cannot be changed.  The only way to change your Skype name would be to abandon the account and start over.

Best regards,

Elaine

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
Was your question answered? Please click on the Accept as a Solution link so everyone can quickly find what works! Like a post or want to say, "Thank You" - ?? Click on the Kudos button!

Please note:   To remove (delete) a Skype Account, you must contact Skype Customer Service directly. We here in the Community cannot process account-related service requests.

Trustworthy information: Brian Krebs: 3 Basic Rules for Online Safety and Consumer Reports: Guide to Internet Security

Online Safety Tips: Do not accept contact invitations from anyone whom you do not know, and change your passwords regularly and often.

Do you have a Skype trick up your sleeve?  Share your Solutions and Tips with us!

Elaine
Moderator icon
Kudos: 1974
Message 2 of 11 (11,803 Views)

Thanks for your answer dude.

0 Kudos
Ömer
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 3 of 11 (11,791 Views)

Hi,

I tried this also but noticed this is impossible.

I even did not try to create a new account...

good luck

0 Kudos
MAMAMIA1330
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 4 of 11 (11,496 Views)

Your reply would also solve my problem of changing my screen name (that other people see). However I cannot find my Public Profile. There is no tag named Public Profile in My account or any where. Gordon

0 Kudos
gordonc63
Novel Tourist
Message 5 of 11 (11,216 Views)

[ Edited ]

Dear All,

Please allow me to clarify by saying I am a Win7 PC on Skype 5.9.0.114 -- we may have some confusion depending upon the operating system you are using the Skype client software on.  I apologize for said confusion.

Here is how I navigate to my profile and, as Gordon points out, the public/contacts only tabs or buttons:

Starting at my contacts list, click Skype -> Profile -> Edit Your Profile -> Underneath the tabs Skype Home - Profile - Give Feedback there are two buttons, Public Profile - Contacts Only - and Edit.  If I click on the Public Profile button, I can edit what the world sees by next clicking the Edit button, and then the full screen opens.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Elaine

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
Was your question answered? Please click on the Accept as a Solution link so everyone can quickly find what works! Like a post or want to say, "Thank You" - ?? Click on the Kudos button!

Please note:   To remove (delete) a Skype Account, you must contact Skype Customer Service directly. We here in the Community cannot process account-related service requests.

Trustworthy information: Brian Krebs: 3 Basic Rules for Online Safety and Consumer Reports: Guide to Internet Security

Online Safety Tips: Do not accept contact invitations from anyone whom you do not know, and change your passwords regularly and often.

Do you have a Skype trick up your sleeve?  Share your Solutions and Tips with us!

0 Kudos
Elaine
Moderator icon
Message 6 of 11 (11,192 Views)

A different twist is: I have been given a laptop that had a Skype account already on it.  I have changed the password and uninstalled Skype and then reinstalled Skype 3 times in effort to reset the prompt for my "Skype Name".  Well guess what, the new install continues to pick up the original Skype Name no matter that all other profile info has been up dated to me and will not allow any edit changes as you have said.  Any suggestion on how to overcome this automatic entry without any manual prompt?  I am not allowed to abandon the old to re-establish a new entry of any new Skype Name! Thanks for your skill in fixing this problem!

Monte

0 Kudos
monteswanzy
Novel Tourist
Message 7 of 11 (11,097 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi, Monteswanzy, and welcome to the Community!

Sounds like what is happening is the former owner of the laptop set their Skype client software to start Skype automatically and also to sign them on automatically every time the laptop started or was re-booted.  Please try this: Sign the previous owner off Skype by starting at the Contact list, click Skype -> Sign Out.  If the Skype logo still appears in the "tray" or at the bottom of your monitor, right-click on it to open the dialogue box, and click Quit - it will ask you again, so click Quit again.  (If you simply click on that icon, the log-in screen will appear.  There is a setting in Tools -> Options that determines whether the icon stays in the tray or not.)

Re-launch Skype again.  When the sign-on box appears, erase/delete/clear the Skype name which appears and type your own Skype account name.  Un-check Sign me in when Skype starts.  Input your own password and click Sign me in.  That should do it!

Here is information about removing unwanted names from the sign-in screen: https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA11070/How-can-I-remove-my-Skype-Name-from-the-sign-in-screen

Monte, please post back if I have misinterpreted your enquiry with clarification on what you are seeing or trying to do, so I can provide the assistance you seek.

Best regards,

Elaine

Elaine
Moderator icon
Message 8 of 11 (11,090 Views)

Create a New Account and Transfer Credit & Contacts

0 Kudos
Elaine
Moderator icon
Message 9 of 11 (11,069 Views)

This is really ridiculous "skype name" cannot be changed. I really think admins can change it. Please give a technical answer why "skype name" cannot be changed. Thank you.
0 Kudos
sevenfourk
Novel Tourist
Message 10 of 11 (6,882 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling