RECEIVING UNWANTED MESSAGES

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

RECEIVING UNWANTED MESSAGES

Please could someone help me.  This is about my 5th attempt at trying to solve this problem.  I get about 6 messages a day from people I don't know wanting to connect with me.  I would like to know how they can see I have a skype account, and how do I stop this happening.  I obviously block these people, but get new ones every day.  How does this happen.  I have no idea how to look up who is on skype that I don't know.  How do they do it?  It is very very irritating!  Thanks for any help and advice.

Kim

Elaine

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

Hi, and welcome to the Community!

Unfortunatly, I, too, received several unsolicited and unwelcome contact invitations per week, and I appreciate the interruption and frustration.  :mad:  The proverbial "thin grey line" between making ourselves completely invisible and being able to be found by our friends and colleagues is where the unscrupulous slip in using the Add a Contact feature, and then send us those unwanted invitations.

Please not only block these unwanted contacts, but also check in the Report as Abuse block!  Doing so alerts Skype immediately to users who are abusing the process, so action can swiftly be taken.  Please also see this information:

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA10001/How-do-I-report-abuse-by-someone-in-Skype

Best regards,

Elaine

View solution in original post
kimmit
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 12
Message 1 of 31 (8,122 Views)

Re: RECEIVING UNWANTED MESSAGES

I have exactly the same problem . Several of these infuriating requests each week.  Of course I block them BUT cannot SKYPE stop them at source ?  How do they find me as I have selected  " SHOW ONLY TO MY CONTACTS" ?  This has been going on for months. There has to be a way to stop this !

steve-forte
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 5
Message 2 of 31 (8,112 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi, and welcome to the Community!

Unfortunatly, I, too, received several unsolicited and unwelcome contact invitations per week, and I appreciate the interruption and frustration.  :mad:  The proverbial "thin grey line" between making ourselves completely invisible and being able to be found by our friends and colleagues is where the unscrupulous slip in using the Add a Contact feature, and then send us those unwanted invitations.

Please not only block these unwanted contacts, but also check in the Report as Abuse block!  Doing so alerts Skype immediately to users who are abusing the process, so action can swiftly be taken.  Please also see this information:

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA10001/How-do-I-report-abuse-by-someone-in-Skype

Best regards,

Elaine

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
Was your question answered? Please click on the Accept as a Solution link so everyone can quickly find what works! Like a post or want to say, "Thank You" - ?? Click on the Kudos button!

Please note:   To remove (delete) a Skype Account, you must contact Skype Customer Service directly. We here in the Community cannot process account-related service requests.

Trustworthy information: Brian Krebs: 3 Basic Rules for Online Safety and Consumer Reports: Guide to Internet Security

Online Safety Tips: Do not accept contact invitations from anyone whom you do not know, and change your passwords regularly and often.

Do you have a Skype trick up your sleeve?  Share your Solutions and Tips with us!

Elaine
Moderator icon
Kudos: 1956
Message 3 of 31 (8,095 Views)

thanks .will do as you suggest

have a nice day

steve-forte
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 5
Message 4 of 31 (8,078 Views)

You are welcome! :happy: Good day to you as well.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
Was your question answered? Please click on the Accept as a Solution link so everyone can quickly find what works! Like a post or want to say, "Thank You" - ?? Click on the Kudos button!

Please note:   To remove (delete) a Skype Account, you must contact Skype Customer Service directly. We here in the Community cannot process account-related service requests.

Trustworthy information: Brian Krebs: 3 Basic Rules for Online Safety and Consumer Reports: Guide to Internet Security

Online Safety Tips: Do not accept contact invitations from anyone whom you do not know, and change your passwords regularly and often.

Do you have a Skype trick up your sleeve?  Share your Solutions and Tips with us!

Elaine
Moderator icon
Message 5 of 31 (8,066 Views)

This happens to me all the time. I must have reported abuse over 100 attempted contacts by now. Just downloaded the latest Skype and it still happened. Not happy about it.
joedu27
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 4
Message 6 of 31 (8,058 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi, joedu27, and welcome to the Community!

Honestly, I would be unhappy as well.  First things, first: I recommend changing your account password.  Please do check once again that your privacy settings are "locked down," so only those on your contact list can contact you.  Please also double-check the same privacy setting is active for video calls (contacts only).  I also un-checked the allow-accept-allow settings under Tools -> Options -> Privacy -> Privacy Settings.

Your computer updates and patches are installed ... and you have run an updated anti-virus/malware/spyware program?

Regards,

Elaine

Elaine
Moderator icon
Message 7 of 31 (8,046 Views)

I am receiving SKYPE notifications in Spanish.  This is a problem for me as we do not speak any Spanish and would like SKYPE to adjust all our account settings to English.

ponder4860
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 8 of 31 (8,038 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi, ponder4860, and welcome to the Community!

Please double-check your language setting (at your contacts list, click Tools -> Change Language).  If that is not the issue, please reach out to Skype Customer Service contact customer service so they may check settings from their side.

Regards,

Elaine

Elaine
Moderator icon
Message 9 of 31 (8,032 Views)

I see several people with the same question WHICH IS NEVER ANSWERED. How do these solicitors find out our Skype names? Every privacy setting I have is "Contacts Only". 

Please let me know? Are they hacking into one of my contacts address books?

Changing my password didn't help.

Tomoe2011

Tomoe2011
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 2
Message 10 of 31 (7,738 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling