Phishing emails from a skype type address?

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Phishing emails from a skype type address?

I have received an email, that looks like it came from Skype, but was diverted to my junk mail because the address is shown as the following:

Skype news@email.skype.com via skype.bounce.ed10.net 

Is this a real email from Skype, or is it a Phishing or Malware email using pseudo skype emails?

Please advise.  Bob
Bob_Harris
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 1 of 11 (8,603 Views)

Re: Phishing emails from a skype type address?

I just recieved a similar email from the same bounce email, claiming a free promotion of 1 month's worth of free calls. i too would like to know if this is a scam or not, though i'm probably sure it is.

0 Kudos
yannikf93
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 2 of 11 (8,572 Views)

I keep getting the following inquiry for a repair notification as follows:

[5:05:48 PM] NOTIFICATION - URGENT SYSTEM REPAIR (gpa.pcgo.system.0)

I get this every couple of days. Does anyone know if this is some type of spam?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
travelinbanker
Casual Tourist
Message 3 of 11 (8,570 Views)

[ Edited ]

All these are scams and phishing attempts.

UPDATE: I am pleased to confirm the e-mail which Bob_Harris and insperatum report is a valid and genuine e-mail from Skype.  I do sincerely apologize for the confusion.

Strategies that help stem the tide ...

•  Block and Report as Abuse each incident as it occurs so Skype is made aware.  The same title will appear even though the underlying account name or phone number changes ever so slightly.
  •  If your use of Skype allows for it, adjust your privacy, audio call, video call, and instant message settings to permit incoming calls and IM's from people on your contact list only.  Remember to Save your settings on each page/window before you leave that screen, or your settings will not be recorded to your profile.  Doing this will make you invisible to these malcontents, even though it also makes it harder for your true friends and colleagues to "find" you on Skype. 
  •  Please be careful not to click on any links or respond in any way.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
If a reply answered your question, please click on the Accept as a Solution link so others following in your footsteps can find what works! If anyone helped you, you can show your appreciation and thanks by clicking on the Kudos button!

Trustworthy information: David Krebs: 3 Basic Rules for Online Safety and Consumer Reports: Guide to Internet Security

Good Tip: Do not accept contact invitations from anyone whom you do not know.

Do you have a Skype trick up your sleeve?  Share your Solutions and Tips with us!

0 Kudos
Elaine
Moderator icon
Kudos: 1589
Message 4 of 11 (8,550 Views)

Yes, I have also had one of these emails about 30 days worth of free calls. Does anyone know how I can report it?
0 Kudos
MylesMor
Novel Tourist
Message 5 of 11 (8,405 Views)

Hi, MylesMor, and welcome to the Community!

You may certainly report these things to Skype Customer Service: contact customer service

Regards,

Elaine

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
If a reply answered your question, please click on the Accept as a Solution link so others following in your footsteps can find what works! If anyone helped you, you can show your appreciation and thanks by clicking on the Kudos button!

Trustworthy information: David Krebs: 3 Basic Rules for Online Safety and Consumer Reports: Guide to Internet Security

Do you have a Skype trick up your sleeve?  Share your Solutions and Tips with us!

0 Kudos
Elaine
Moderator icon
Message 6 of 11 (8,391 Views)

news@email.skype.com via skype.bounce.ed10.net is perfectly legit - ed10.net is just a domain for a company skype use for email marketing. I also just received this email, and all of the links genuinely did point to skype.com (most modern browsers highlight the primary part of the url in the address bar, so it's easy to check).

Elaine: I understand the need to warn people to stay vigilant on the internet, but now you're just spooking them!

0 Kudos
insperatum
Casual Tourist
Message 7 of 11 (8,311 Views)

[ Edited ]

Dear All,

and Hi, insperatum, and welcome to the Community,

Thank you for bringing this to my attention; I have requested review by a forum moderator and will revert.

UPDATE: I am pleased to confirm the e-mail which Bob_Harris and insperatum report is a valid and genuine e-mail from Skype.  I do sincerely apologize for the  confusion.

My recommendations for other e-mails titled "System Notification" or similarly still stands.  :(y):  This thread is confusing due to the insertion of the "System Notification" enquiry, which in Community best practice ought to have been posted as a new topic. 

Best regards,

Elaine

0 Kudos
Elaine
Moderator icon
Message 8 of 11 (8,226 Views)

I would like to know if this welcome email address is legit or spam?  Google through (Gmail) put it in my spam box which makes me question it.

from: Skype Welcome@email.skype.com via skype.bounce.ed10.net 
reply-to: Skype Welcome.XTCP9TL8.50458509@email.skype.com
to: 
date: Mon, May 20, 2013 at 1:27 AM
subject: Video calling brings you closer
mailed-by: skype.bounce.ed10.net

Thank you kindly for your reply.

0 Kudos
Organic
Novel Adventurer
Message 9 of 11 (5,601 Views)

Is this Email address really from Skype?

from: Skype Welcome@email.skype.com via skype.bounce.ed10.net 
reply-to: Skype Welcome.UU6FYNLG.50287237@email.skype.com
to: 
date: Sun, May 19, 2013 at 3:09 PM
subject: Hello from Skype
mailed-by: skype.bounce.ed10.net

0 Kudos
Organic
Novel Adventurer
Message 10 of 11 (5,594 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling