New to Skype and having trouble signing in?

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

[ Edited ]

We’ve recently seen an increase in questions regarding sign in and password recovery from new users on the Skype Community. These questions followed some changes to the way new users register to use Skype.

Feedback is crucial for us to understand how these changes affect you, so thank you for discussing this in the Skype Community. You’ll find answers to the most commonly asked questions below.

What’s changing?

New users registering on Skype.com can now create a Microsoft account, which they can use to sign in to Skype, Xbox Live, Outlook.com and other Microsoft services.

Users who create a Microsoft account during registration no longer need to create a Skype Name. You will use your Microsoft account email address and password to sign in to Skype instead of a Skype Name.

If you already have a Microsoft account such as a @outlook.com, @live.com or @hotmail.com email address, there is no need to register a new account. You can simply sign in to Skype using your email address.

How do I know if I have a Microsoft account after registering?

If you created a Microsoft account during registration, your username will be in the form of an email address, like someone@example.com.

Why is this change happening?

Signing into Skype with a Microsoft account brings a number of benefits to you.

Having a single account to remember is much easier than remembering one account for Microsoft services like Outlook.com and Xbox Live and a separate account for Skype.

A Microsoft account also brings you added security and a more streamlined way to recover your password if you’ve forgotten it.

I’m having trouble signing into Skype, why is that?

If you created a Microsoft account while registering at Skype.com, you will need to select Microsoft account at the sign-in screen when you start Skype and sign in using your email address.

1msa_signin_option.jpg

I can’t access my account, where can I recover my password?

The process for recovering your password is different depending on whether you use a Microsoft account to sign in, or a Skype Name.

To recover your Microsoft account password, open the Microsoft account password reset page.

If you don’t have a Microsoft account and need to recover your password with your Skype Name, go to the Skype forgotten password page .

I received a token to reset my password from Skype, but it’s not working. What can I do?

If you can’t use a token that we sent you to recover your password, first try using the Microsoft account password reset page.

If you receive an invalid token error when resetting your password and you cannot reset your password through the live.com password reset page, please contact Skype Customer Service.

I still have some questions about Microsoft accounts and Skype, where can I ask them?

You’re in the right place, please ask your questions in the comments of this blog. We’re always here to help in Skype Community and we are listening carefully to this conversation to help improve the registration experience for everyone.

UPDATE (February 13th 2014):

Thanks to your feedback we have further optimized and (hopefully) made clearer in our self help articles which options are available to you when you have sign in problems. So if you still have questions left after reading above don't miss out on this support article:

"I can't sign in to Skype"

luke.skype
Staff
Staff icon
Kudos: 216
Message 1 of 212 (74,127 Views)

Re: New to Skype and having trouble signing in?

when i open my skype account i can't connect  to other people and unable to online and the green sign did not appear.so , I can't send the message and also not able to video call my family.

Please hear my concern.

Thank you for your understanding.

eunjaena
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 69
Message 2 of 212 (73,706 Views)
Claudius
Community Manager
Community Manager icon
Kudos: 11928
Message 3 of 212 (73,241 Views)

Sir,

i forget my password and i reset my password and i got a mail at my mail id containing token but it is not valid. i tried it many times but every time it is not recognized please solve my problum as soon as possible because i have to give interview on saturday evening

nareshkatta
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 26
Message 4 of 212 (72,998 Views)

My skype is not logging in . I am not new at skype. but dont knw why my skype is not signing in.

faizajawed
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 36
Message 5 of 212 (72,975 Views)

tahnks

nunungchie
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 17
Message 6 of 212 (72,755 Views)

Hello, I started a new account for my business and for some reason, I'm not sure what my Skype name is.  When I type the name I think it is, I can't log in and then have to log in using Microsoft.  

Thanks for any and all help.

ovtliers
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 16
Message 7 of 212 (72,379 Views)
Elaine
Moderator icon
Kudos: 1598
Message 8 of 212 (72,000 Views)

Moved to form a new discussion as the problem is different to the account questions discussed here.

Claudius
Community Manager
Community Manager icon
Kudos: 11928
Message 9 of 212 (53,125 Views)

Skype does not come up when I click from my taskbar.  If I go in through shortcut, the screen comes up and when I type my p/w, it says "We can't open Skype. You are already signed in on this computer.  Please sign out and try again."  There is no option to sign out-ARRGGG! Please help

spccalamia
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 13
Message 10 of 212 (31,472 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling