Is chat history stored on Skype servers?

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Is chat history stored on Skype servers?

I've read conflicting information about this and I can't find an official statement from Skype.

Are chat logs stored on skype servers at any point in time?

I know my various computers/devices synch up chat history logs from the previous 30 days.  It's not clear to me if that is coming off the server, or if it is just that I have multiple computers and skype is automatically copying it between those devices.

Can anyone officially answer this from Skype or point me to an actual link/document from Skype that clarifies this?

FriskyDingo
Reliable Adventurer
Kudos: 22
Message 1 of 8 (22,672 Views)

Re: Is chat history stored on Skype servers?

FriskyDingo wrote:

I've read conflicting information about this and I can't find an official statement from Skype.

I know my various computers/devices synch up chat history logs from the previous 30 days.  It's not clear to me if that is coming off the server, or if it is just that I have multiple computers and skype is automatically copying it between those devices.

Can anyone officially answer this from Skype or point me to an actual link/document from Skype that clarifies this?

No chat messsages are currently stored on Skype Servers, computers/devices logged on as the same Skype name, at the same time, can sync with 1 to 1 chat messages. Syncing of group chats ("More than 2 people in a chat") is done by chat sync partners in those chats, and not provided by Skype servers.

0 Kudos
TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 578
Message 2 of 8 (22,668 Views)

Thanks. I'm a little confused because on further reading of the privacy policy under section 12:

http://www.skype.com/intl/en/legal/privacy/general/#12

It states that chat history may be kept on the server for up to 30 days.

So they "may" do it? But they currently "are not" doing it?

FriskyDingo
Reliable Adventurer
Message 3 of 8 (22,663 Views)

FriskyDingo wrote:

Thanks. I'm a little confused because on further reading of the privacy policy under section 12:

http://www.skype.com/intl/en/legal/privacy/general/#12

It states that chat history may be kept on the server for up to 30 days.

So they "may" do it? But they currently "are not" doing it?

Currently, if/when, that were to happen, it's not to sync your chat history, between devices/computers.

0 Kudos
TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 578
Message 4 of 8 (22,660 Views)

FriskyDingo wrote:

I suggest that you send an email to Skype (contactus@skype.net), as they may be able to provide you with a possibly official explanation or clarification regarding this matter.  I am also somehow interested to know further and more specific details, particularly about ths synchronization patterns/rules/whatsoever, but so far I haven't found any completely convincing replies in this forum page.

0 Kudos
VooDooDoll
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 226
Message 5 of 8 (22,631 Views)

[ Edited ]

TheUberOverLord wrote:

Currently, if/when, that were to happen, it's not to sync your chat history, between devices/computers.

Sorrry, but I'm sort of struggling to decrypt the above sentence. 

Do you mean that "currently nothing is stored on the servers" and "if/when they were stored on the server it would not be for synching chat history between devices"

???

If it is not to synch chat history, then for what purpose?

0 Kudos
FriskyDingo
Reliable Adventurer
Message 6 of 8 (22,617 Views)

Currently, you get the history of a chat after you switched to your other machine only if the other person sends a new message - then two of the last messages will miraculously appear from your chat history (of course if you need full chat syncing, just use gmail chat instead which has the same video conferencing functionality as well)

BeHold
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 7 of 8 (19,725 Views)

Dear Readers,

Regarding chat history and Skype servers, please see this official blog article authored by Mark Gillett, the Chief Development and Operations Officer at Skype. :

http://blogs.skype.com/en/2012/07/what_does_skypes_architecture_do.html

Regards,

Elaine

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
Was your question answered? Please click on the Accept as a Solution link so everyone can quickly find what works! Like a post or want to say, "Thank You" - ?? Click on the Kudos button!

Update! :happy:  In my instruction on how to contact Skype Customer Service , the blue "Send" button has been replaced with a green Next button; to file a request via e-mail, click "Send."

Trustworthy information: Brian Krebs: 3 Basic Rules for Online Safety and Consumer Reports: Guide to Internet Security

Online Safety Tip: Do not accept contact invitations from anyone whom you do not know.

Do you have a Skype trick up your sleeve?  Share your Solutions and Tips with us!

Elaine
Moderator icon
Kudos: 1738
Message 8 of 8 (19,702 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling