Information regarding an email waring I recieved t...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

Information regarding an email waring I recieved today 25 april 2012

All, please be aware if you use Skype, you could get a call from "Systems Maintenance" it's a recorded message asking you to go to a web site, because your computer's security has been disabled!! It's a CON they will lock your computer and charge you to unlock!! I have placed a block and notified Skype.

I received the message as shown above in magenta from a friend today and immediately did what I always do when i get these type of messages, I Googled it to very the validity of the message, unfortunately I couldn't find any reference to a scam of the nature mentioned in the warning nor could I find anything debunking the claims, my question is is this email for real or not.

Please don't tell me the usual common sense things like I should never open these type of files or give out my password, I know this and constantly advise friends and acquaintances of the same, however I would like to know if this is a genuine claim or not so I can forward the email with the correct advice i.e. if it is true follow the advice in the email if not DON'T forward the email to 20,000 people..

Any information is appreciated Cosmic Rhapsody
g4pilut
Community Ambassador

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

That's a Cosmic scam/spam/phishing message.  :wink:

I suggest your friend change their privacy settings to allow calls and allow IMs from people on my Contact list only.

That should stop that kind of junk from getting through.

View solution in original post
Claudius
Community Manager

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

The warning makes sense, but it'S not worth forwarding this message as it then just turns spam itself.
Here's how you should deal *if* you indeed receive one of those spam *calls*: http://community.skype.com/t5/Security-Privacy-Trust-and/How-to-Handle-Suspicious-Calls-Messages-and-Contact-Requests/m-p/77688#M441

View solution in original post
Please use plain text.
cosmic_rhapsody
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 4 (813 Views)

Re: Information regarding an email waring I recieved today 25 april 2012

That's a Cosmic scam/spam/phishing message.  :wink:

I suggest your friend change their privacy settings to allow calls and allow IMs from people on my Contact list only.

That should stop that kind of junk from getting through.

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
Please use plain text.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 846
Message 2 of 4 (801 Views)

The warning makes sense, but it'S not worth forwarding this message as it then just turns spam itself.
Here's how you should deal *if* you indeed receive one of those spam *calls*: http://community.skype.com/t5/Security-Privacy-Trust-and/How-to-Handle-Suspicious-Calls-Messages-and...

Keep your Skype up to date
Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Claudius
Community Manager
Community Manager icon
Kudos: 13925
Message 3 of 4 (794 Views)

can not recieved calls

Please use plain text.
tonyataylor68
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 4 of 4 (278 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling