ISP Tracking

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ISP Tracking

Hi,

I am perplexed and wondering if my ISP can track my Skype usage. or if they can see i am using specifically skype. I know they can track websites and monitor it, but for privacy concerns I m unsure if my ISP is also doing the same with Skype.

gk11
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 9 (3,760 Views)

Re: ISP Tracking

I'll take a whack at a general answer to your question.

You ISP can, if they want to, tell you're using Skype.  They can tell what IP addresses you connect to and would be able to identify some that are used by Skype.

In addition, I expect that they would be able to see the IP address you're connecting to on a voice or video call.  Such is the nature of the Internet. 

However, there's no way they can listen to or see your calls when they're in progress, and they can't read your Instant Messages.

If it would let you sleep any better, you may be able to use a VPN to connect to Skype.  Your ISP would know that you're connecting to the VPN but they wouldn't be able to see what traffic is flowing over the VPN.

Seems to me that unless you really have something to hide, there's nothing to worry about.  And I say that being something of a privacy freak myself.

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 939
Message 2 of 9 (3,736 Views)

Thank you So much. The problem is that My internet usage has been high over the past few months because i am using my home wifi to use skype. I have been talking to my gf over skype and my parents would now like to call the ISP and ask where is all the bandwidth. I am hoping they wont blatently answer that its being used by all the skype being used at your house...I hope u understand my situation slightly better now...

gk11
Casual Adventurer
Message 3 of 9 (3,733 Views)

Yes, I understand better and I have to confess that I had to chuckle at it.

I'd suggest that if you're using bandwidth your parents are paying for, they're entitled to know what the bandwidth is being used for.  Maybe you should just fess up and not wait for the ISP to tell them where their bytes have been going?  :wink:

Good luck.

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 939
Message 4 of 9 (3,729 Views)

I am sure u chuckled :tongue:

Confession is not possible, I guess will have to wait and see how it goes. Bt thanks, really appreciate your help!

gk11
Casual Adventurer
Message 5 of 9 (3,727 Views)

QUESTION??  If an employer calls for a skype call can they see what ISP I am broadcasting from via skype?  I am nervous about this as I want support from an mentor for this process and it would be easier for me to do this from his house?  Can they ssee where I am at?  It was asked if I be at my home computer when this call occurs to video veryfy things.  They can verify easily enough at this sattelite location.  Help my if possible during this tenous process I am going through!  Thank You!

RedneckWoman
Novel Tourist
Message 6 of 9 (1,993 Views)

[ Edited ]

Yeah..."nothing to worry about," because there really is "nothing to worry about" unless you live in Iran and anything considered political activism or un-islamic can mean jail time...then there's a lot to worry about.

askewguy
Novel Tourist
Message 7 of 9 (788 Views)

Hello,

I have a question. My ISP can tell me which skype account name I used to sign in to skype?

Eddy_05
Novel Adventurer
Message 8 of 9 (242 Views)

Someone can answer to my question, please?

Eddy_05
Novel Adventurer
Message 9 of 9 (225 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling