IMPORTANT: Any one can Hijack my Account?

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

IMPORTANT: Any one can Hijack my Account?

I have came to knw from one of the well reputed resource that Skype Account can be easily compromised only if you know their email addresses. What is this?
I mean How could you assure the security and privacy of your clients?

The link to the website where it is stated is
[invalid URL]

mrhammadasif
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 1 of 10 (2,060 Views)

Re: IMPORTANT: Any one can Hijack my Account?

Same here. Give me back my account!!!

givebackaccount
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 2 of 10 (2,030 Views)

Hi mrhammadasif,

Thanks for reporting this to us, as a precaution we have temporarily disabled our password reset process. For more on this issue please keep an eye on this post.

Did my reply remove your confusion? Do me a favour; mark it as a solution! ↓ ↓
Setagana
Community Manager
Community Manager icon
Kudos: 90
Message 3 of 10 (1,981 Views)

I am really worried. I read in news that skype account can be easily stolen. Is there anything to be done?

epks789
Novel Tourist
Message 4 of 10 (1,963 Views)

Hi epks789,

We have disabled the password reset process to stop people from using the vulnerability that you read about. To stay updated on what we're doing to fix this issue please follow the post I linked to above.
Setagana
Community Manager
Community Manager icon
Message 5 of 10 (1,950 Views)

Setagana,
What about accounts that are already hacked?
lcxs
Novel Tourist
Message 6 of 10 (1,910 Views)

Hi Icxs,

While the password reset process is disabled you won't be able to change the password and regain access to your account. 

We apologize for the inconvenience and are working on getting the password reset process back up as soon as possible, please keep an eye on the sticky post for updates throughout the day.

Setagana
Community Manager
Community Manager icon
Message 7 of 10 (1,882 Views)

[ Edited ]

Yes this was/is possible and it has been so for apparently the last 3 months if not more. It just surfaced today. This is a blunder of epic proportions, and I hope they will finally start taking security as serious as possible, not only words on forums and whatnot.

Speaking of security holes I hope this reaches somebody somewhere at Skype and they address the very very long known issue of clear IPs which can set a clear path for DDOSing and more. http://nickfurneaux.blogspot.se/2012/04/skype-ip-addresses-in-clear.html. You need to get your act together guys, this is beyond embarassing!

Trance
Novel Tourist
Message 8 of 10 (1,800 Views)

I would also note that this vulnerability is known for a long time and has been reported to Microsoft several times already.

It would be interesting to see how quickly that would be handled. If Skype has securoty problem of that scale, it's too unreliable to use it for anything of importance.
temmokan
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 9 of 10 (1,707 Views)

Is account secure now? Reported this in August after losing sing £10 credit. Changed password to very secure password only to have broken in 3 hours (3times). Told couldn't get money back as my fault, ants that my macbook must not be secure. Went out and bought norton antivirus for mac for £40, only to find no virus, will I be able to get any wasted money back now?

Posted from Apple iPad
Pacrward
Casual Tourist
Message 10 of 10 (980 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling