How to tell if someone is blocking you?

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

How to tell if someone is blocking you?

I was just wondering how you tell if someone has blocked you on skype.  I was recently talking a lot with a guy i met but suddenly he is never online and when i try to send a message to him i just get a grey circle.  Also his sign next to his user name is outlined green and is empty inside is he just offline or has he blocked me? any help is appreciated:happy:

joeywigley
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 3
Message 1 of 41 (302,906 Views)

Re: How to tell if someone is blocking you?

users should not be able to distinguish between offline and blocked, but there may be ways to do it.  perhaps the discussion below would help;

http://community.skype.com/t5/Security-Privacy-Trust-and/How-to-tell-if-a-friend-deleted-you-from-hi...

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES
SEE MORE TIPS, TRICKS, TUTORIALS AND UPDATES in
| skypefordummies.blogspot.com | 

Primemover
Power User
Kudos: 1408
Message 2 of 41 (302,902 Views)

The only ("True") method to test if you have been blocked is.

1. The Contact must have been added to your contact list.

2. You must have Skype voicemail.

3. Right click on the Contact name and choose ("Send Voicemail"). If it fails you have been blocked by that contact.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 1614
Message 3 of 41 (302,883 Views)

some tests i carried out for someone back in march:

"please remember that skype is not a very reliable product, the software is poor
and my findings should not bee taken as being 100% accurate. i’ve probably
missed hundreds of combinations and scenarios and what not. also whilst testing
i found that often skype does not connect \ refresh properly so messages do not
get sent and profiles do not appear properly.

tests were done in version

i looked at three things: can your account see the picture, can your account see contact
numbers, can your account see status tip (the status tip appears when you place
your mouse above the status icon near a contacts name.

the first series of tests were done with the profile pic being public.

when blocked:
- pic is still visible
- can still see contact numbers
- status tip says offline

when deleted:
- pic was invisible which was strange as it was public
- cannot see contact numbers
- status tip is “this person has not shared their details with you”

tested deleted again due to pic issue:

- pic was visible

blocked and deleted:

- cannot see pic
- status tip is “this person has not shared their details with
you”

next the pic was set to be visible to contacts only:

when blocked:
- pic is still visible
- can still see contact numbers
- status tip says offline

when deleted:
- pic was invisible

blocked and deleted:

- cannot see pic

so conclusion from this would be:

you cannot see the pic or the number of contacts. looking at the first scenario of where the pic is public, this only happens if you are blocked and deleted. if you are just blocked you’d still see both (i find that strange though as skype should block pic if someone blocks you in my opinion). if you are just deleted you’d still see the pic. so you’d have been deleted and blocked.

****however,***** if their pic is set to be visible to contacts only, then not seeing pic or contacts would suggest you have not been blocked. you have been deleted (or blocked and deleted).

please do note that this is not very reliable... it’s just a test i’ve done, my net connection is slow and skype is rubbish for consistent results. if you have alternative means of contacting your friend i’d suggest trying those before coming to any conclusions of your own."

"/* ___________
L Chowdhury

www.redpaperrose.com - my image gallery
insanity
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 5
Message 4 of 41 (302,875 Views)

very similar to what we also observed here;

http://community.skype.com/t5/Security-Privacy-Trust-and/How-to-tell-if-a-friend-deleted-you-from-hi...

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES
SEE MORE TIPS, TRICKS, TUTORIALS AND UPDATES in
| skypefordummies.blogspot.com | 

Primemover
Power User
Kudos: 1408
Message 5 of 41 (302,871 Views)

The same is happening with my own skype, on the shortcut there is a symbol  green outline & white on the inside, when i try to sign in it won't let me, even though my details are correct. I certainly don't want to block anyone. What did you find out, can you help? 

cadge
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 6 of 41 (291,191 Views)

I have a similar question. My friend and I had a bit of a fall through recently and I think she might have blocked me. the thing is they did have a profile picture but now the profile picture is a question mark but their online status is the green outline with white (meaning they're offline). what does that mean?

emmac
Novel Adventurer
Message 7 of 41 (268,168 Views)

The method using the skype voicemail feature definitely works. I have 2 accounts. I blocked one from the other.  when I tried to send a skype voicemail the message came back that te other account had blocked me.

spn1007
Casual Tourist
Message 8 of 41 (257,450 Views)

spn1007 wrote:

The method using the skype voicemail feature definitely works. I have 2 accounts. I blocked one from the other.  when I tried to send a skype voicemail the message came back that te other account had blocked me.

Do u hv to try leaving a voice message 1st, or as long as u can hear the voicemail greeting, it means that you are not blocked?

OrangeClover
Tourist
Message 9 of 41 (251,481 Views)

When sending the voicemail does it actually says fails or person unavailable.

1-3
Casual Tourist
Message 10 of 41 (246,783 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling