How to tell if a friend deleted you from his/her c...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

How to tell if a friend deleted you from his/her contact list?

Hi,

Sorry for reposting the age-old question, but I was wondering if anyone is aware if Skype policies have changed regarding this old question. According to the older forum posts, about a year or two old, if someone deletes you from Skype, there are differing opinions as to whether or not you can see the contact online or not. (Skype won't let me link the old forum post, so you'll have to Google it)

However, the tests I ran using a dud Skype account show that if I delete "myself," the "resend contact request" button appears. It seems to clearly show that I deleted a contact. If I block a contact, then the contact only appears offline. The first part seems to contradict what the older forum posts claim, and I was wondering if this Skype behavior has changed. Does it matter if the contacts are connected to the same supernode? I'm also doing this on a PC, so does the behavior change if my contact using the Mac or mobile version? 

In the end, my question is in regards to a specific contact which I have been wondering if that person deleted me from their contact list. What is the privacy setting for mood messages? If I can see the contact's mood message, does that mean they have not deleted me? I know it says "Contacts only" for mood message under privacy, but I don't know if that means current contacts, or those who have been "authorized" as contacts.

Primemover
Power User

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

ysaletore wrote:

Thanks for confirming the results of my tests. However, the original claims were that you could not tell if you were deleted. Skype "super users" or whatever claimed that once a person added you and "authorized" you, this authorization was permanent. So the claim was that removing a person from a contact list still allowed them to see whether or not you were online. I don't know if that's true anymore, though, because these tests prove otherwise. 

If a contact deleted you from their contact list, you will not be able to see their online status, mood messages, and profile details that set not to be visible in public (anyone).  as what you can see in the last screenshot, you can see that the online status turned grey - and the mood message, which was visible previously, can also no longer be seen.

This is not to deny what you said they have mentioned, but it seems that this how things are in the new versions.  I think there is now a way to determine if you have been blocked or deleted by a certain user.  If I have an incorrect assumption, most likely someone will correct me.

ysaletore wrote: 

And I'm guessing that if you can see someone's mood change, then they must have you in their contact list? I know you can see if someone's online or not if they have the "show on web" privacy checked, because then it's deemed public information, but I don't think that extends to moods?

most likely, yes.  if you can still view the mood message of a person, you are still in that person's contact list.  when you also check the Edit Your Profile section, you can see that the mood message is permanently set to contacts only visibility.

just an additional info, you can also still see the mood message last used by a person who blocked you, but not the moods that they will enter after. 

:happy:

View solution in original post
ysaletore
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 6
Message 1 of 46 (346,854 Views)

Re: How to tell if a friend deleted you from his/her contact list?

equally curious, I also try to run tests of my own.  as far as I remember, users should not be able to distinguish the differences between deleted and blocked.  But the results seem to be contradicting this idea.  Changes were checked after logging out/logging in, 5 minutes from the time after performing the actions (blocking and deleting).

Image 1 - Sample Account 2 and Sample Account  @ normal stage

Image 2 - Sample Account 2 "blocked" Sample Account 

Image 3 - Sample Account 2 "deleted" Sample Account

However, these tests and the results don't necessarily represent or confirm anything.  Just want to share the outcome of the recent experiments regarding the topic being discussed.

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES
SEE MORE TIPS, TRICKS, TUTORIALS AND UPDATES in
| skypefordummies.blogspot.com | 

Primemover
Power User
Kudos: 1673
Message 2 of 46 (346,832 Views)

Thanks for confirming the results of my tests. However, the original claims were that you could not tell if you were deleted. Skype "super users" or whatever claimed that once a person added you and "authorized" you, this authorization was permanent. So the claim was that removing a person from a contact list still allowed them to see whether or not you were online. I don't know if that's true anymore, though, because these tests prove otherwise. 

And I'm guessing that if you can see someone's mood change, then they must have you in their contact list? I know you can see if someone's online or not if they have the "show on web" privacy checked, because then it's deemed public information, but I don't think that extends to moods?

ysaletore
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 6
Message 3 of 46 (346,826 Views)

ysaletore wrote:

If a contact deleted you from their contact list, you will not be able to see their online status, mood messages, and profile details that set not to be visible in public (anyone).  as what you can see in the last screenshot, you can see that the online status turned grey - and the mood message, which was visible previously, can also no longer be seen.

This is not to deny what you said they have mentioned, but it seems that this how things are in the new versions.  I think there is now a way to determine if you have been blocked or deleted by a certain user.  If I have an incorrect assumption, most likely someone will correct me.

ysaletore wrote: 

most likely, yes.  if you can still view the mood message of a person, you are still in that person's contact list.  when you also check the Edit Your Profile section, you can see that the mood message is permanently set to contacts only visibility.

just an additional info, you can also still see the mood message last used by a person who blocked you, but not the moods that they will enter after. 

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES

Primemover
Power User
Message 4 of 46 (346,822 Views)

If you ("Skype name in question") had/have them in your contact list as approved and....

You ("Skype name in question") have Skype voicemail, and you ("Skype name in question") can't leave them a voicemail, then you now are blocked.

Note: You don't need to make a call first to send a voicemail :wink:

Logic: Since you have Skype voicemail, you can send anyone Skype voicemail, even if the Skype user in question does not have Skype voicemail.

Since they were already in your contact list, then when sending voicemail fails, this show that you have been blocked by them because even if their privacy settings were set to only allow calls from contacts, you would still be able to do this, if you were not blocked.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 588
Message 5 of 46 (346,685 Views)

just to add up, I have also took screenshots of the View Profile window in a normal stage, when a contact delete a user, and when a contact blocked a user.

Specifics;

- By default Username, Display Name,  are set to visible to public (permanent).

- I also set Language, Country to be visible to public

- Mood Message is set to be visible to contacts only by default (permanent).

- I set contacts count and computer time to visible to contacts only.

1.  Viewing a Profile of a Person in my Contact List

the image

2.  Viewing a Profile of a Person Who Blocked Me

the image

2.  Viewing a Profile of a Person Who Deleted Me from Their Contact List

the image

Primemover
Power User
Message 6 of 46 (346,611 Views)

I would like to know what´s the difference... When you probably know somebody has deleted you or blocked you, it appears in grey... Then I deleted him from my contact list, then add him again, ask his authorization again (only to test... ) and njow his avatar appears as a man in grey, not a question mark. What would it mean?

siltxuº
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 7 of 46 (345,950 Views)

[ Edited ]

siltxuº wrote:

I would like to know what´s the difference... When you probably know somebody has deleted you or blocked you, it appears in grey... Then I deleted him from my contact list, then add him again, ask his authorization again (only to test... ) and njow his avatar appears as a man in grey, not a question mark. What would it mean?

The only ("True") method to test if you have been blocked is.

1. The Contact must have been added to your contact list.

2. You must have Skype voicemail.

3. Right click on the Contact name and choose ("Send Voicemail"). If it fails you have been blocked by that contact.

Note: If you are not blocked, you don't really care so much if someone has removed you from their contact list. Of course they would not see you as easily, if they removed ("deleted") you from their contact list, but even then, you would be able to communicate with them, if they have not blocked you.

More here: https://support.skype.com/en-us/faq/FA421/How-do-I-organize-my-contacts#Remove

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 8 of 46 (345,949 Views)

[ Edited ]

what if i can see a contact on my list but when i search for him with the email it gives me the possiblity to add  him again as if he's not in my contact list. BUT if i searched for the same person with his skype name, it tells that his in my contact list.

can anyone tell me if that person deleted me?

Sia
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 9 of 46 (345,253 Views)

Sia wrote:

what if i can see a contact on my list but when i search for him with the email it gives me the possiblity to add  him again as if he's not in my contact list. BUT if i searched for the same person with his skype name, it tells that his in my contact list.

can anyone tell me if that person deleted me?

The only ("True") method to test if you have been blocked is.

1. The Contact must have been added to your contact list.

2. You must have Skype voicemail.

3. Right click on the Contact name and choose ("Send Voicemail"). If it fails you have been blocked by that contact.

Note: If you are not blocked, you don't really care so much if someone has removed you from their contact list. Of course they would not see you as easily, if they removed ("deleted") you from their contact list, but even then, you would be able to communicate with them, if they have not blocked you.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 10 of 46 (345,241 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling