How to Handle Suspicious Calls, Messages and Conta...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How to Handle Suspicious Calls, Messages and Contact Requests (Scam/Spam)

[ Edited ]

Unwanted Calls, Video Calls and Instant Messages

1.       Ignore and don’t answer the call.  Or if you already answered it, disregard and DO NOT follow any instructions mentioned by the suspicious caller.  DO NOT visit any site or links mentioned in the call.

2.       The name of the caller will appear in your Recent tab (just beside your Contact List tab).   Right-click on it and select View Profile.

username and display name.png

3.        Again in the Recent tab, right-click on the name of the user then select Block This Person.  The Block This Person window will appear, also click the Report Abuse box then click the Block button to confirm that you want to block that contact. 

block 1.png

After this procedure, this contact will not be able to contact you again in any way in the future.

4.       Then to stop receiving such unwanted communications in the future, set your account to allow calls and instant messages from people in your contact list only.  You can do this by clicking Tools >> Options >> Privacy >> Privacy Settings.  Then under Allow Calls From and Allow IMs From, select People in My Contact List Only (screenshot below).

privacy settings.png

5.       But if you happen to already clicked or visited the sites mentioned in those scam/scam calls, immediately run a full anti-virus and other available security scans, and change your Skype account password, and contact Skype and request to check your account for any irregularities.  They may also provide you with additional details and/or instructions.

Unwanted Contact Requests

1.       Unfortunately, there is currently no method to sort or filter incoming contact requests.   I think it would be very difficult for Skype to determine if a certain person is a potential scammer or spammer, unless they receive relevant reports from users who receive suspicious contact requests from them.

2.       Open the Contact request then click the Block Button. 

block spam contact requests.png

3.       The Block This Person window will also appear, you can click the Report Abuse box if you feel that that contact is indeed a highly potential scammer or spammer.  Click the Block button to confirm your action.

block spam contact requests 2.png

Suspicious Emails

1.      Immediately send a detailed report or description to Skype customer service.  If Possible, attach or paste a copy of the exact email message.

Furthermore, by reporting them to Skype, they will become aware of the questionable activities of those users and suspicious accounts may be put under certain restrictions, suspended, terminated, or may be banned from creating new accounts and using Skype services.

If you have the time, kindly repost the details of any suspicious or unwanted communications you receive below this thread, as such may help other users to become aware of such and potentially fraudulent activities.

:happy:

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES
SEE MORE TIPS, TRICKS, TUTORIALS AND UPDATES in
| skypefordummies.blogspot.com | 

Primemover
Power User
Kudos: 1566
Message 1 of 111 (180,897 Views)

Re: How to Handle Suspicious Calls, Messages and Contact Requests (Scam/Spam)

[ Edited ]

Thank you kindly Primemover, this is exactly the kind of response I was looking for regarding this recent issue. Now if only to get it stickied.

As for the filtering out of the names, it does seem that all of them seem to have extensive "."'s in them, i.e. "blah.this.is.a.longname" or "a1.this.urgent.notice".

That I am aware of, its infrequent even to have 1 (for instance to seperate your first and last name such as mine, "firstname.lastname") maybe a rare case of "first.last.jr" or sir.first.last or mr/ms.first.last. but that, i would believe, to be extremely rare and would be something a user would sort out with whoever they are expecting to call.

NEVER, however, have i seen someone use 4 or more .'s in their name. The easiest thing to do would be not to filter out coming and going calls, but to scan the user database for irregular names such as that, and see their call history. I.E., if blah.blah.blah.blah has called more then 100 people in an X timeframe they are an autodialer and are subject to further investigation.

Llwynn
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 12
Message 2 of 111 (180,872 Views)

I am trying to change my privacy settings but they keep reverting to allow all on both im and calls.. i am being bombarded by calls etc.. how can i make the privacy settings stick... ive tried in basic and advanced settings but with both even when i hit SAVE it still reverts back to allow ALL please HELP!!!

clarep
Tourist
Kudos: 6
Message 3 of 111 (180,015 Views)

[ Edited ]

Please right click on the Skype Icon and change your online status to "Offline" for 5 seconds and then back to "Online". Then go to your privacy settings and click the "Save" button.

When this issue happens, you will only need to do the above once to fix it.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 580
Message 4 of 111 (179,999 Views)

Thank you for this topic. I have been using Skype for phone calls for two months now and have had 2 of these scam calls in the last 10 days (same company I think, telling me I have to protect my computer - yeah, from them!). The first thing I did was to block, and the second one I reported as abuse when I blocked it.
Unfortunately, there is no way I can check "only those in my contact list" because I get calls from people not on Skype (and some callers are not often) and most don't have Skype accounts. I suppose I will be blocking and reporting many callers in the future. :wink:
Mally
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 3
Message 5 of 111 (178,934 Views)

[ Edited ]

If one answered twice, but of course didn't follow anything said in the calls, there is nothing to worry about correct? The calls were very short, 15 and 2 seconds, but still. Im paranoid today.

Thank You

k99
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 6 of 111 (178,868 Views)

I recieved a call on my mobile saying my pc was infected. Can they trace anything off my phone or infect my phone? Will be reporting. Directed me to page ssors.com.
Posted from Apple iPhone
JJ_mommy
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 7 of 111 (177,550 Views)

k99 wrote:

If one answered twice, but of course didn't follow anything said in the calls, there is nothing to worry about correct? The calls were very short, 15 and 2 seconds, but still. Im paranoid today.

Thank You

Hi k99!  as long as you did'nt visit any links or pages suggested by that call, there should be nothing to worry about.  still, you can run a full anti-virus scan if you feel that would makes you feel more comfortable.  :happy:

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES

Primemover
Power User
Message 8 of 111 (177,529 Views)

JJ_mommy wrote:
I recieved a call on my mobile saying my pc was infected. Can they trace anything off my phone or infect my phone? Will be reporting. Directed me to page ssors.com.

nope, the solely the call itself can't transfer anything or do harm in your phone (or computer).  visiting the sites/links will do..  :happy:

Primemover
Power User
Message 9 of 111 (177,527 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thanks for posting this. I have blocked the caller "tc3.computer.protection.warning" / "ONLINE ALERT (R) - SYSTEM NOTIFICATION" since the first time it tried contacting me. However, since then, the same thing has happened about five times, most recently twice within the span of 15 minutes.

I just changed my privacy settings to only accept calls from my contacts. If that happens again, what do you recommend?

ikazuchi-denkou
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 2
Message 10 of 111 (176,537 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling