How do I make my profile private?

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How do I make my profile private?

I don't want to be contacted by anyone that isn't on my contact list.  This includes contact requests.  Is that possible?  I see on my profile a lot of "public".

Will Pittenger
WillPittenger
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 16
Message 1 of 36 (45,407 Views)

Re: How do I make my profile private?

I think it is not currently possible to make your full profile private.  But you can choose which details will be shown to anyone, to your contacts only, or only to you in the Skype >> Profile >> Edit Your Profile page.

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES
SEE MORE TIPS, TRICKS, TUTORIALS AND UPDATES in
| skypefordummies.blogspot.com | 

Primemover
Power User
Kudos: 1660
Message 2 of 36 (45,403 Views)

This guys is stalking me and my best friend

How can I block him? He is a CREEPER:bigsmile:

toribeth98
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 2
Message 3 of 36 (44,079 Views)

I have the same problem here, alot of people sending request which is looks like scam because they are all from military and high ranks. i keep blocking the request but it kept coming in different names. In edit profile there is no option to change it to contacts only. When I was using the older version of skype, there is option to change the profile status to public or to contacts only or just only me and my profile was set in contacts only at that time. When I upgraded to latest vesion, it didn't have that option anymore and my profile set on public. I don't want just anyone or any strangers sending me request to be friend with them. How to stop this?

Bbeth
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 8
Message 4 of 36 (40,538 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have the same problem - can not make my profile "private". I think it is pathetic that Microsoft has taken that choice away from us. Even more pathetic is the fact that they show the word "public" next to our profile as if we have a choice to make it private. How misleading and devious can they be? I have signed up for a Premium account and after paying some $60.00 dollars for it I still can not have a choice to make my profile private - only visible to my contacts. I have a serious issue with this Microsoft violation of my privacy especially when I am paying for an upgraded subscription to Premium account. If Microsoft continues to ignore our requests for privacy of our profiles especially when we have signed up for paid subscriptions - Premium accounts, I am contacting my elected representatives as well as the AG's office in my state. You should all do the same. Microsoft is a great company but they must respect our basic rights to privacy. It should be our choice whether we want our profiles to be public or private and if public who can see it. Especially, if I or anyone else is paying for a subscription. Like telephone companies, the customer has the right to decide whether they want their name and telephone number published in the telephone directory or have it be unlisted / non published. The FCC and the FTC should also be contacted in this matter as Skype has become a means of communication like a phone line..The FCC and the FTC should establish the same rules for Skype as for regular telephone companies. But unless the public and Skype users who value their privacy start speaking up Microsoft will continue violating our right to privacy.

atimoula
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 30
Message 5 of 36 (40,283 Views)

This inability to make certain profile information "private" as we were previously able to do before skype was taken over by Microsoft is totally unacceptable. I was not aware that my information is now public, even if I wish it to be private - I do not have the ability to change it. Skype had that ability and Microsoft turned it off. It's about time Microsoft does the right thing and turn the choice back on!

Mewithn
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 13
Message 6 of 36 (40,215 Views)

same here and my boyfriend in switzerland its driving him nuts as he sees who tried to contact me this is stupidest site I have ever seen. How can you tolerate all the population to see your profile >???? its nonsense even with what we choose to show there only the date of birth and country and number of contacts you have that you can set to private its crazy and stupid pfff

danielle2010
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 6
Message 7 of 36 (37,421 Views)

I am so tired of scam artist hookers from Ghana contacting me from out of the blue.  I want to be able to not have my name listed, as used to be the option.  One day, Microsoft will be sued for this lack of privacy, as something will happen really bad.... and it will be because there is no way to not be 'in the phonebook'..... stupid people.

normanx
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 5
Message 8 of 36 (33,976 Views)

[ Edited ]

Microsoft is notorious in our days for ignoring customer feedback and consumer privacy rights. Yes, a lawsuit,a class action lawsuit for violating our rights and the law should be in order for this blunt violation of our rights. Yes, a class action lawsuit since so many of us are experiencing the same blunt violation of our right to privacy. I also have had creepy con artists trying to contact me via Skype. Our profiles are ours for us to decide whether we want them private or public. Again, Microsoft has changed this - Skype used to give us the option in the past. And devious Microsoft places the word "public" next to our profiles making it look and sound as we have a choice to make it private. SHAME ON YOU MICROSOFT! LEAVE OUR PROFILES ALONE AND SWITCH THEM BACK TO PRIVATE AS WE HAD THEM BEFORE YOU MICROSOFT TOOK OVER SKYPE.

Since all these crooks are trying to contact us with all sorts of scams from Africa and elsewhere for that matter, we should also report this to FBI's Internet Crime division.

Please contact the FCC, FTC, your state Attorney General's Office of Consumer Affairs, your state elected representatives, and your State's Cable and Telecommunications Agency. They will probably tell you thet Skype is not falling under their jurisdiction because it is not a telephone company (the say the same thing about cell phone companies) but the more noise we make the more attention the Microsoft crappy and devious way of conducting business will get. Skype IS a telecommunications entity and it should comply with the same privacy regulations as telephone companies. Call the FCC and the FTC as well as the BBB.

On a different note, I have been subjected to intrusive air ads while on a call on Skype. It has happened to me several times over the last months or so that while on a Skype call hear advertisements in the background. Once, I got a third party on my call with my sister...A gynecology medical office was leaving a message for a patient telling her that they have her pregnancy test results, to please call their office. They did not of course leave the results on the phone but still, what about if the person did not want anyone ot know that they even went to the doctor to test to see if pregnant. It was really creepy. I hope no one else is listening to my conversations while on Skype..That is all we need - 3rd party conversations and ads while we have private conversations...

I think stupidity is the norm at Microsoft in our days. They took away our right to make our profiles private and with the recent updates to Skype they have opened our system ports to all sorts of questionable "traffic". That is why all this crap gets in the way. If you go to Skype settings and also on your firewall permission you will see how many ports including Universal Plug and Play crap Skype uses..

Please contact the Microsoft Corporate and demand that they tun back on our right to keep our Skype profiles private. And do not stop there...Contact all above agencies and keep fighting to protect your rights to privacy, especially if you pay for a premium subscription and you subscribe to a Skype Number to go. That is like having a telephone number account. You should have the right to have it unlisted and your profile private. The same way you pay the telephone company to have an unlisted / unpublished number.

atimoula
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 30
Message 9 of 36 (33,925 Views)

Dear Readers,

Please remember that there is nothing forcing us to include information which by default appears as "public" on those profile settings.  Simply leave each field as blank or not specified.  Please see the screen shot, below.  In the case of a picture or "avatar," set to contacts only. 

I am not seeking to launch a war of words with anyone; in fact, I strongly recommend regularly checking all websites that you have registered on or for - particularly social networking websites - to ensure your privacy settings appear as you wish.

Best regards,

Elaine

Bank Profile Settings.png

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
Was your question answered? Please click on the Accept as a Solution link so everyone can quickly find what works! Like a post or want to say, "Thank You" - ?? Click on the Kudos button!

Please note:   To remove (delete) a Skype Account, you must contact Skype Customer Service directly. We here in the Community cannot process account-related service requests.

Trustworthy information: Brian Krebs: 3 Basic Rules for Online Safety and Consumer Reports: Guide to Internet Security

Online Safety Tips: Do not accept contact invitations from anyone whom you do not know, and change your passwords regularly and often.

Do you have a Skype trick up your sleeve?  Share your Solutions and Tips with us!

Elaine
Moderator icon
Kudos: 1942
Message 10 of 36 (33,697 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling