How can I stop people finding me on Skype please?

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

How can I stop people finding me on Skype please?

Hello everyone,

This is my first post on the support board as I am unable to find an answer to my query. I would be very grateful, if anyone has a suggestion on the following:

I have had my existing Skype account for about a year. I have a monthly European subscription which I use to call my family couple of times a week and have a few contacts on Skype. 

I have been getting a few contact requests, and I block them straight away as I don't know them. The frequency was 1 contact request every 3 months. Recently, however the number of the contact requests is increasing, and I do not know anyone of them. 

I have tried changing my screen name and have checked my privacy settings that only my Skype contacts can ring me. 

I don't wish to delete my Skype account. Is there a way to stop anybody trying to search me? How can I make myself least visible to people on Skype?

Thanks in advance,

Portameous

grandsioux
Routine Adventurer

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

You need to edit your profile and remove all your identifying information. Open your web browser and go to the Skype log-in page, sign into your account, click on Profile details under your Skype name in the middle left side of the window and edit all your profile details so that no personal information remains except your Registered e-mail address under Email settings. Unfortunately, Skype Technologies will not let you delete your Skype name, or account, just as they will not let your remove their annoying ads from your Skype window. You can also edit your profile from the Skype window by clicking Skype > Profile > Edit Your Pofile.

View solution in original post
portameous
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 3
Message 1 of 21 (38,559 Views)

Re: How can I stop people finding me on Skype please?

You need to edit your profile and remove all your identifying information. Open your web browser and go to the Skype log-in page, sign into your account, click on Profile details under your Skype name in the middle left side of the window and edit all your profile details so that no personal information remains except your Registered e-mail address under Email settings. Unfortunately, Skype Technologies will not let you delete your Skype name, or account, just as they will not let your remove their annoying ads from your Skype window. You can also edit your profile from the Skype window by clicking Skype > Profile > Edit Your Pofile.

grandsioux
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 7
Message 2 of 21 (38,549 Views)

apart from blocking those unwanted contact requests, you can also report them abuse@skype.net.  

on the other hand, setting your privacy settings to allow calls and IMs from your contacts only will only stop unwanted calls and messages from non-contacts.  unfortunately, it will not prevent unwanted contact requests.  But by also reporting those unwanted users, Skype may suspend or terminate the account of those potential scammers/spammers, and prevent them from creating new accounts. 

:happy:

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES
SEE MORE TIPS, TRICKS, TUTORIALS AND UPDATES in
| skypefordummies.blogspot.com | 

Primemover
Power User
Kudos: 1594
Message 3 of 21 (38,545 Views)

Thanks for your replies, and your suggestions. I have edited my profile already to remain as discrete as possible. Thanks!!
portameous
Novel Adventurer
Message 4 of 21 (38,536 Views)

How do i delete persons that has showed up on skype that i want to delete without reading skype long how to that is very complicated. Why can i not just push the right key and press delete?
dezso21
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 5 of 21 (36,684 Views)

I am so upset at this new skype and the merging of msn to this wonderful program.  Am I placing my anger at the wrong thing?

I am getting up to ten people adding me to skype a day, and it's spamming my " Recents"  and I can't find my friends in there to chat too till i deny and block all those scammers.   

I tried going into my profile and I see personal information and I see profile picture to the right , and chante password to the right and Edit right beside it to the right and ... below .. I see all my stuff is set to Public and I have no options to change it ..  I hate this so much. I even changed my name and sex to a manly name but I'm still getting people adding me.. I liked the old skype and i liked the way it used too be. I am so angry at this new skype.

temp1
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 10
Message 6 of 21 (27,584 Views)

I have set my privacy to contacts only for everything and yet I am STILL getting unknown people contacting me.  They aren't people who I've given my details to as I've given them to no-one.  There are no details on my profile....

gatvol00
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 2
Message 7 of 21 (26,801 Views)

I have the same problem - even though I limited my privacy to "only contact from my list" - I still get at least 3 request of new contacts every day. The requests are from people I don't know. How can I block requests from people I don't know?

Hagit
Novel Tourist
Message 8 of 21 (26,046 Views)

yeah ... this is getting old .... I WANT MY PRIVACY BACK!

i have EVERYTHING set to 'only people on my contact list can cotact me' and STILL i am being flooded with dirty perverted morons ...

kamikazee82
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 6
Message 9 of 21 (25,529 Views)

I'm in the same boat.  Just recently started getting about 1 person a day trying to friend me - clearly its some scammer - as they post some pic of a scantily glad girl.  I have my options set as others - to block all but contacts.  Skype if I continue to get spam contact requests I'm going to quit using your product... I refuse to use products that harrass me - and do not give me control over my privacy.  Please change this policy immediately!!!

js_sc2
Casual Tourist
Message 10 of 21 (25,131 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling