How can I recover my old account?

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

How can I recover my old account?

Ive been trying to access an old Skype account of mine. I haven't used it in years, but its important for me to get onto it as i need to contact an old friend about an important issue and I no longer have their email or Skype name. the thing is my old password isn't working and the old email address to the account was deleted a long time ago. How can i go about resetting my password, I had never bought Skype credit with that account also. Is there a way I can reset the password?
g4pilut
Community Ambassador

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

0 Kudos

If you no longer have the email you used to create the account and you never paid for any purchases with that account, you're out of luck.

For security reasons, the only way to recover a lost password is to the email address registered to the particular Skype name, or with purchase history specifics.

View solution in original post
Orlilu
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 3
Message 1 of 8 (5,868 Views)

Re: How can I recover my old account?

If you no longer have the email you used to create the account and you never paid for any purchases with that account, you're out of luck.

For security reasons, the only way to recover a lost password is to the email address registered to the particular Skype name, or with purchase history specifics.

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
0 Kudos
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 901
Message 2 of 8 (5,817 Views)

Ahhh boo i'll have to try and figure out there email, it was worth asking about anyway Thank you.
0 Kudos
Orlilu
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 3
Message 3 of 8 (5,813 Views)

You're welcome and sorry I didn't have a solution for you. 

Good luck.

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
0 Kudos
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 901
Message 4 of 8 (5,808 Views)

Following on from your reply to the a/m query, I have an old account for which I purchased credit. I am unable to remember my old user name although Skype recognises my old email address and has kindly sent off a reminder to that address (now defunct). Please advise how I access my old account to transfer the credit to this one. 

Mac

Mac0
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 5 of 8 (4,849 Views)

Re: How can I recover credits on my old account?

Hi.

I opened my first skype account years and years ago, and no longer have access to my old email address which was linked to this. I was ok until my Mac combusted, as it signed in automatically, and I had to re-install everything.

I have now opened a new account which is fine apart from 2 issues: 

1. I had credits on the old account that I can no longer access.

2. My contacts 'see' my old profile on their pcs which is activated whenever I turn on my pc.

Thanks

0 Kudos
MissT
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 6 of 8 (4,768 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi, I have the same problem, but I do know the e-mail adress. Is there something I can do to recover my account?

Thank you

0 Kudos
Caramela
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 7 of 8 (2,637 Views)

[ Edited ]

Dear Readers,

For every post in this thread, the answer is the same: the only way to recover access to an old account is to contact Skype Customer Service directly.  You will need to be able to prove and/or verify your identity and that you are the rightful "owner" of the account in question.

This would be the same whether you have access to the e-mail address that was "registered" as the contact e-mail address on the account, or not; you must contact Skype Customer Service.

Here is a link to the instruction on how to contact Skype Customer Service via their secure portal: Contact Customer Service

As you know you must contact Customer Service, skip past Step 2 of the instruction and proceed to Step 3, Continue Support Request (the "button" appears at the lower right corner of the website page). You may also skip past in Step 4 where you will be referred back here to the Community; no need to do this as the Community is where you started.

A few more odds and ends details ...

- G4pilut's advice stands and is absolutely correct!

- Also, credit can not be transferred from one account to another; once you have restored access to the old account, you could contact Customer Service to request a refund of the credit. 

- Yes, the old account will continue to be seen on anyone's contact list where that account name had been added.  All your friends would need to do is remove the old account from their contact lists.

Best regards,
Elaine

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
Was your question answered? Please click on the Accept as a Solution link so everyone can quickly find what works! Like a post or want to say, "Thank You" - ?? Click on the Kudos button!

Update! :happy:  In my instruction on how to contact Skype Customer Service , the blue "Send" button has been replaced with a green Next button, and to file a request via e-mail, we click "Send."

Trustworthy information: Brian Krebs: 3 Basic Rules for Online Safety and Consumer Reports: Guide to Internet Security

Online Safety Tip: Do not accept contact invitations from anyone whom you do not know.

Do you have a Skype trick up your sleeve?  Share your Solutions and Tips with us!

0 Kudos
Elaine
Moderator icon
Kudos: 1685
Message 8 of 8 (2,623 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling