Re: Fraud Threats.

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Fraud Threats.

[ Edited ]

Somebody recorded my video feed and threatened to post it all over youtube and send it to family members. They said the only way I could stop it was by sending $300. Is there anything I can do to prevent this or stop this person from doing this to other people?

jond2270
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 2
Message 1 of 7 (2,302 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi, jond2270,

This reads to me like more than just a fraud threat; please report this incident to local law enforcement (police).  These agencies know how to contact Skype.

Regards,

Elaine

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
Was your question answered? Please click on the Accept as a Solution link so everyone can quickly find what works! Like a post or want to say, "Thank You" - ?? Click on the Kudos button!

Please note:   To remove (delete) a Skype Account, you must contact Skype Customer Service directly. We here in the Community cannot process account-related service requests.

Trustworthy information: Brian Krebs: 3 Basic Rules for Online Safety and Consumer Reports: Guide to Internet Security

Online Safety Tips: Do not accept contact invitations from anyone whom you do not know, and change your passwords regularly and often.

Do you have a Skype trick up your sleeve?  Share your Solutions and Tips with us!

0 Kudos
Elaine
Moderator icon
Kudos: 1962
Message 2 of 7 (2,289 Views)

Yeah this happened to me also, about 2 hours ago. They wanted 400 or they were going to "post" it everywhere. I haven't seen anything yet.

mattiomonster
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 3 of 7 (2,284 Views)

How did they manage to record your video?

It sounds entirely bogus.  If they contact you again, call their bluff and DEMAND that they post it to the 'net.  Skype video is a point-to-point system, it is NOT "broadcast" so the chances of a malicious person actually having intercepted any video is vanishingly small.  Just report them to your local Police.

0 Kudos
mictester
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 3
Message 4 of 7 (2,280 Views)

I had the same thing happen to me today threats saying the would send to my facebook friends and contact so far the video has not been sent to anyone, in your situation was the video ever released/sent cheers
Posted from Apple iPad
0 Kudos
PDJ
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 5 of 7 (2,254 Views)

yes, it happened to me today...The girl show me the recorded video. I am nervous now..I just send her 30 bucks to philippine. What can I do if the girl is from outside usa? I am nervous. Help me out...

FatAsian1993
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 6 of 7 (1,899 Views)

In such cases, I think victims should NOT give them money as there is a tendency that they are going to ask for more. 

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES
SEE MORE TIPS, TRICKS, TUTORIALS AND UPDATES in
| skypefordummies.blogspot.com | 

0 Kudos
Primemover
Power User
Kudos: 1685
Message 7 of 7 (1,894 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling