Easy way to lookup IP address of a skype username

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Easy way to lookup IP address of a skype username

From this

http://skype-ip-finder.tk/

and this article

http://pastebin.com/rBu4jDm8

It seems very easy to identify the IP of the Skype name user even without communicating with him\her.

I believe this is a very serious skype IP exploit.

It should be fixed as soon as possible or it will cause a lot of problems for many people.

Can someone confirm this is being looked at?

Thanks, 

Croco_001
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 1 of 19 (156,872 Views)

Re: Easy way to lookup IP address of a skype username

Hello,
yes, our security experts are aware of it and looking into it already.

Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
Claudius
Community Manager
Community Manager icon
Kudos: 10405
Message 2 of 19 (156,682 Views)

That site is now off the air, yielding the message "This domain and website have been suspended because of abuse or copyright reasons."
NotesTracker
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 3 of 19 (155,265 Views)

Except for the researchers who discover the vulnerability claim that you have known of the issue for over a year now, care to explain this to your users?
soulcrush_uo
Novel Tourist
Message 4 of 19 (155,173 Views)

So are they gonna fix this, i have been getting ddos'd everynight for 3 days now. I dont accept calls from unknowns or contact requests, its all because this person has my skype name, which we cant change.  Are u going to fix ur software or do you need help?

dameintox
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 5 of 19 (151,010 Views)

I'm a programmer, and I get booted sometimes. All I'm going to say is if they don't get it fixed soon; I'm moving to MSN 100% or I'll decompile Skype and fix it myself (Not really).

I just hate being booted.

juggernaut043
Novel Tourist
Message 6 of 19 (143,239 Views)

There is a realy easy way to get ip from msn users. They are just downloading MSN plus and add a script and 2 or 3 clicks and Boom they got your ip. They even dont need to type you or idk. On skype they need to make a PHP script that's getting your ip. Dont ask me how becouse i even dont know :tongue: Good luck Btw, For the booting call your ISP and tell them your story.

mustak251
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 5
Message 7 of 19 (128,636 Views)

Any luck on a solution 

Treyarch
Casual Adventurer
Message 8 of 19 (119,281 Views)

This is a VERY large issue for anyone with a web presence, and unluckily a skype account with the same name. When is this fix going to be applied live?
FireTheStar
Novel Tourist
Message 9 of 19 (118,690 Views)

The issue is not yet fixed. I found multiple scripts and APIs (That you can pay for) to reslove a username to an IP address. I am sending you in a private message a server which does it for you

Simply blocking the sites that do this won't help, a solution from lower level APIs is required. 

Croco_001
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 10 of 19 (103,882 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling