Do people know when you block them?

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Do people know when you block them?

Hi! I would like to kindly ask you what happens when you block one of your contacts.

Do people know when you block them? how?

Thank you

maddy_sky
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 5
Message 1 of 33 (102,660 Views)

Re: Do people know when you block them?

No.  Other users will not receive any warning or notifications when you block them (the same goes when you unblock them)  You will just appear as "offline" in their contact list.  Yet, there is one but very unpopular menthod to check if you were blocked by a certain user.

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES
SEE MORE TIPS, TRICKS, TUTORIALS AND UPDATES in
| skypefordummies.blogspot.com | 

Primemover
Power User
Kudos: 1262
Message 2 of 33 (102,655 Views)

Thank you for your answer.

I am curious, which is that method that you said to know if your contacts blocked you?

thank again

M

maddy_sky
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 5
Message 3 of 33 (102,634 Views)

something to do with voicemail, can't remember the exact details but a certain superuser here in this forum claims that it works.  :happy:

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES
SEE MORE TIPS, TRICKS, TUTORIALS AND UPDATES in
| skypefordummies.blogspot.com | 

Primemover
Power User
Kudos: 1262
Message 4 of 33 (102,618 Views)

If you block a person, will you see when they come online?  If they try to send a message, will I recieve it?

tbaker4u
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 5 of 33 (93,944 Views)

This so-called workaround is more like a doesn't-quite-workaround.

Blocking a contact DOES NOT simply cause you to appear as "offline" at their end -- at least not in Skype Version 6.3.59.602 for Mac. I have tested this by blocking my wife (only for the sake of science!). On her Skype, my status now displays as a cloud icon with a question mark. When I click on my status, it says, "Pending contact request." "Hmmm," I can imagine her thinking, "something fishy's going on here."

It would be great if Skype could add an option to define one's online status for specific contacts. We've all made the mistake of adding someone who later turns into a Skype pest. You don't want to hurt this person's feelings, but you can no longer deal with their endless interruptions.

Skype - please add this functionality! You will make the world a less socially awkward place.

refill
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 17
Message 6 of 33 (93,934 Views)

I agree with you... Sometimes when I come online, I don't want everyone to know I'm there. Furthermore I don't need to be notified when everyone else comes on and off. Would like to be able to choose who I want to see coming on and off...

The answer to the question appears to be "yes". People know when they are blocked.... Because you have to answer a request for them to be able to send a message.... Bummer.
Posted from Apple iPad
tbaker4u
Novel Adventurer
Message 7 of 33 (93,831 Views)

Yes, people definitely know.  I blocked someone once when I wanted a break from them for a day, and when I unblocked them they were asking awkward questions about me going "pending contact request" on their list as if I'd removed them.

I tried this with a secondary account and can confirm it.

The problem is I have someone on my list who is nice and who I don't want to hurt the feelings of, but who pounces me the second I log on and wants my attention for every waking hour until I log off.  I just wish I could be invisble to him sometimes so I can pop on and say hello to a few others.  Right now I have to stay invisible all the time, which is only practical if the other person you want to talk to doesn't have the same problem.

LakesGeek
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 3
Message 8 of 33 (78,752 Views)

I recently just tried it myself and it totally works! 

If you try it yourself, but DON'T REMOVE them from your contacts, it will show as offline :bigsmile:

Try it out and see if it works. Cause I just hit the block, but didn't delete them. Which I thought if I deleted them off my contacts it would appear the "?" 

aznpursazn
Casual Tourist
Message 9 of 33 (75,453 Views)

exactly the same problem with me ..to bad there's no solution :/

shauna_90
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 10 of 33 (75,003 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling