Re: Being Blackmailed

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

I have just an hour or so ago had a similar blackmail situation. The Scammer has a video of me, and although I tried to stall "her" she wouldn't give me any email or information from her side. Needless to say I didn't send her any money, she was asking for a Western Union bank transfer.
The Skype ID is: Miraille-dur and the supposed name is Miraille Duranee. "she" claimed she was on holiday in Morocco. Caliming she was 23.

I couldn't find the person on social networking sites so it's just an alias. I have deactivated my Facebook account, and ignoring all contact. The person has been blocked from my contacts since, so I am just anxiously awaiting any strange texts from a friend saying they have received a video. Is it better to keep my facebook active, and make people aware it could be a virus, or should I just stay low at the moment and hope they move on? I was delibirately complying at first, as not to antognise the person so they didn't send anything out of spite.
I saw video playback of the whole thing which lasted all of 5 minutes, but I have no idea what streaming sites it could be on, and which ones to make aware and how?

Everybody elses stories have put me at ease, thank you for sharing them. I hope this passes, and definitely avoid this type of behaviour in future.

0 Kudos
idonewrong
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 81 of 142 (2,641 Views)

Number 1 thing to do is to make the scammer think that there is no way they can get money off you. Now that they are blocked, that step is done. I chose to keep facebook on, but change the security settings (go to your profile page > Friends > then click the pencil icon at top right to Edit Privacy > change Friend List to "Friends only", meaning that only your facebook friends can see your friends links. If this is done, I'm pretty sure the scammer won't have any links to send to. I personally didn't let my contacts know about a "virus" or anything, so as not to draw attention to it. As this point, you just have to hope that the scammer is not a vengeful ass.

0 Kudos
jwrathall
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 82 of 142 (2,634 Views)

idonewrong wrote:

I have just an hour or so ago had a similar blackmail situation. The Scammer has a video of me, and although I tried to stall "her" she wouldn't give me any email or information from her side. Needless to say I didn't send her any money, she was asking for a Western Union bank transfer.
The Skype ID is: Miraille-dur and the supposed name is Miraille Duranee. "she" claimed she was on holiday in Morocco. Caliming she was 23.

I couldn't find the person on social networking sites so it's just an alias. I have deactivated my Facebook account, and ignoring all contact. The person has been blocked from my contacts since, so I am just anxiously awaiting any strange texts from a friend saying they have received a video. Is it better to keep my facebook active, and make people aware it could be a virus, or should I just stay low at the moment and hope they move on? I was delibirately complying at first, as not to antognise the person so they didn't send anything out of spite.
I saw video playback of the whole thing which lasted all of 5 minutes, but I have no idea what streaming sites it could be on, and which ones to make aware and how?

Everybody elses stories have put me at ease, thank you for sharing them. I hope this passes, and definitely avoid this type of behaviour in future.

The most common sites to post on are facebook and youtube, if you want to keep your fb accounts just set everything to friends of friends and let your friends know that your account may have been hacked, i suggest changing your password as well and if you have a link of the video try seeing if its on youtube and report it so they can delete it

0 Kudos
IPFreely
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 83 of 142 (2,628 Views)

Right so this has just happened to me with the skype username of melani suzan. threatening the same, with facebook youtube etc, but the list of friends they gave arent even any of my friends and i have no idea who any of them are, they have asked for £300 but keep going down and down and now asking for £150 lol. im not paying anything just thought id let people know of a different user name trying it and any ideas i could use?

0 Kudos
Gutteridge007
Novel Tourist
Message 84 of 142 (2,590 Views)

It's been over 10 days for me & the scammer didn't turn up to any of my friends neither is there any video of me on web (atleast I couldn't find one). This is somehow making me kinda safe now. However, I'm still keeping a sharp eye on all the activities as all the alerts are up...This is what I did when I got into their trap first:

1. Changed my Name on facebook a/c

2. Changed my Password on FB

3. Changed my Skype password and name

4. Changed my FB profile pic & deleted Timeline picture

5. Deactivated my personal e-mail account for precaution (I'm not getting is back though)

6. Changed the name on my LinkedIn account & changed the privacy settings (This one is very important as it has more details than FB)

7. Post a message on my FB account that my Account got hacked but somehow I recovered it. Please do not accept any link from stranger as it'd definately be a phishing link

8. Then I deactivated my FB account for 3-4 days

9. Do not accept any friend request from unknown at all rahter report if you receive any

If the scammer has your e-mail id. It is imporant for you to google search your e-mail and check what results does it show. If anything that compromises with your personal identity, try deleting that post/blog/picture/...whatever...you should be completely untraceable.

Well, this has worked for me so far and I'm anticipating it will..phew!

0 Kudos
Frenchester81
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 85 of 142 (2,527 Views)

Wished I read this thread earlier...

Just had this happened to me this morning....seriously a Friday the 13th...

The person who did it to me is called Beatrice Tan and she added me on Facebook...She had already added one of my friends before adding me...
Like quite a few of the guys here I fell for it and she saved the video and sent me a list of my facebook connections and a youtube link.

Since she was able to look at my wall and through some chatting, it was most likely that she knew that I was probably able to afford the amount she asked for...3000 usd (orginially 5000)...at that moment I didn't want to risk it (On top of my social life, my career could be at risk too!). I've asked her in order for me to trust her she had to delete the youtube video first, in which she actually did but threatened that she will upload the video again if I do not pay up.  I just tried to make it really peaceful while we negotiated and with me paying the thing.  I was really rushed to get money because I was actually overseas and was leaving so I had to get cash from ATMs and banks and needed to get the Western Union crap dealt with.  Once she's confirmed with my transaction info I will block her on everything...hopefully that will be the end of that.

The video feed from her was most likely real because the interaction was the same as the messages being sent...

One thing for guys to be aware of is that the youtube links they make are private and that only people with the link sent to them can see the video.  While explicit videos could be flagged and deleted if they're in public mode, private links could still be sent to individuals.  I don't know how desperate those people are to get their hands on their money but do consider what is at risk before you start tearing sh*t up with them.  If you make the tension too strong they may just screw you over no matter what the outcome is.

I've told her as well that the money i've sent were already all of my savings so hopefully that won't lead to more scamming.

Just now I've deleted my hotmail linkage to my facebook and changed my password on it...I've deleted that person from my list already.  Will have the full block done tomorrow.

0 Kudos
Friday13th
Casual Adventurer
Message 86 of 142 (2,516 Views)

Wow... sorry to hear that Friday13th.

So you forked out $3000 USD? I don't blame you for thinking that maybe you should just pay. I know I certainly thought that at first. Fortunately for me, I'm not married or in a relationship, and my career isn't one that would be terminated because of a "solo tape". but if either of those two were the opposite, I probably would have done the same.

0 Kudos
jwrathall
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 87 of 142 (2,509 Views)

Guys Im pannicking. same old story and this girl now has a video of me and has a list of about 20 of my facebook contacts including my family! HELP he is asking for 200 pounds. I have deactivated my fb account but still have him on skype cause im afraid if i delete it he will send it. He is from Morrocco pretending to be a girl. What can I do cause he has the links to my friends profile. He hasnt put it online so i assume he will send it straight as a video.

0 Kudos
jt045
Novel Adventurer
Message 88 of 142 (2,483 Views)

alright...that didn't go well...paid the money...just asked for more...

his excuse was "my dad needed a kidney transplant...he just died but now i need money to survive on my own"
deactivated my fb account and blocked on skype...

now it's endless waiting...

he threatened me again by sending me a link and said he'll send it to my sisters but it's just youjiz.com which doesn't exist so i guess he's bluffing from now on...since he won't be able to contact me again i hope he moves on to his next target...

FML

0 Kudos
Friday13th
Casual Adventurer
Message 89 of 142 (2,476 Views)

so ive blocked him on both now but he has my home phone number.....

0 Kudos
jt045
Novel Adventurer
Message 90 of 142 (2,463 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling