African Scam Using Skype

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

African Scam Using Skype

Hi everyone,

This post is about my encounter of an African Scamer. That is what it is called. I am not implying in any way that the Scam themselves were African in nature, race, color, or any other profiling. I want to warn my fellow Skype users about the encounter. There was a group of 12 all Skype users asking to be added at the same time. Before I knew it they were all gone except for one woman. I did not give it a second thought at first. She claimed she was taking classes in Ghana. It was a younger woman (29 she said) with a skype name of "vide.vide. The subject got around about her not having a passport to come to the States. That was when she started very suttel asking if I could help her out with the cost. I knew before this it was a scam, but don't be fooled by her. I said yes and ask how much and where it was to go. She told me she needed $500.00 and gave me a typical address in Ghana and the money was to be wired through Western Union.

One of the main reason I am reporting this on Skype is that I could not find any other documented cases of the African Scam. So there you have it. I will be reporting this first thing in the morning to the FBI or IRS. As of right now she believes I will be sending $500.00 via Western Union tomorrow morning to Ghana.

dirigir
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 2
Message 1 of 6 (4,317 Views)

Re: African Scam Using Skype

I just had a request to add a member by the name of Lieutenent General Benjamin Freakly.  He then messaged me and stated that he was on a submrine and would be in the states in about one week.  We had a call and he sure sounded like he had an African accent.  Then he asked me to help out a friend of his invest in an American company,  I told him it sounded like a scam but email me the information and I would look at it,  It never came so I have blocked him and Skype should block his account for impersonating a military officer to suck in victims to his scam.

kevinkintzi
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 2
Message 2 of 6 (4,201 Views)

dirigir wrote:

Hi everyone,

This post is about my encounter of an African Scamer. That is what it is called. I am not implying in any way that the Scam themselves were African in nature, race, color, or any other profiling. I want to warn my fellow Skype users about the encounter. There was a group of 12 all Skype users asking to be added at the same time. Before I knew it they were all gone except for one woman. I did not give it a second thought at first. She claimed she was taking classes in Ghana. It was a younger woman (29 she said) with a skype name of "vide.vide. The subject got around about her not having a passport to come to the States. That was when she started very suttel asking if I could help her out with the cost. I knew before this it was a scam, but don't be fooled by her. I said yes and ask how much and where it was to go. She told me she needed $500.00 and gave me a typical address in Ghana and the money was to be wired through Western Union.

One of the main reason I am reporting this on Skype is that I could not find any other documented cases of the African Scam. So there you have it. I will be reporting this first thing in the morning to the FBI or IRS. As of right now she believes I will be sending $500.00 via Western Union tomorrow morning to Ghana.

you can also forward the details of this scam to abuse@skype.net.  If I remember it correctly, there might already dozens of similar cases reported in this forum recently.

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES
SEE MORE TIPS, TRICKS, TUTORIALS AND UPDATES in
| skypefordummies.blogspot.com | 

Primemover
Power User
Kudos: 1498
Message 3 of 6 (4,191 Views)

Just had realbernice13 from Ghana. Why are they always from Ghana. Wanting a real man for marriage. She makes it clear next to her profile pic that she is not looking for online sex. My skype crashed while video calling her. She looked real. A white woman. But it said she was from grece. I asked her and she asked what her profile said. I told her it said Grece. then she came up with a story of her dad passing away and she had to move to Ghana? What's up with that? Well, she waved when I asked her to. She smiled when I asked her to. but she was getting to something when the system crashed. Real pretty, too. She said 29 to 30, which didn't make sense. I asked which one several times and she couldn't say exactly. But the woman in the video looked more like 24.

Question 1 - obviously it is a scam - any others from white woman in Ghana?

Question 2 - Can a person get information during a video call without you knowing? hack into the system or other way?

gwilcox
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 4 of 6 (3,992 Views)

I started using Skype about 2 to 3 months ago and since then I had many invitations from people from Gana, at the begining I was accepting and talking with them, since they were nice, but then I was also receiving invitations from people from US but working on Gana, young female from Gana but living in US, several Lietenants or Comanders or captains or something else, I even had 2 different invitations from the same captain (same complete names) but with different birthdates, I ignored most of them, not because I knew this, but because I dont use Skype often and dont have time to chat, so I accepted at the begining but then had to start ignoring..

What worries me is that I received invitations from different people who claims to have some works related with the armies or peace firms in Afheganistan and Pakistan, and this month a scam profile in Linkedin visited my own profile, and that profile was from a firm in Pakistan..

I even oppened a post here asking about this..

PatinhasPiuPiu
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 5 of 6 (3,968 Views)

[ Edited ]

These are well known and well documented SCAMS. To engage in any form of dialog with these people is both incredibly niave and simply asking for trouble.
IGNORE their obvious attempts to operate a SCAM. Block them and DELETE them from your contact list.

TOPIC CLOSED

SKYPE STAFF MODERATOR & BETA TESTER
TIME ZONE - US EASTERN - PHILADELPHIA PA USA - UTC MINUS 5 HOURS

I recommend that you always run the latest software version: Windows & Mac

If my advice helped to fix your issue please mark it as a solution to help others.
Please note that I generally don't respond to unsolicited Private Messages. Thank you.
NormanM
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator icon
Kudos: 1358
Message 6 of 6 (3,956 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling