Using Skype in China.

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Using Skype in China.

My father is going to be making a trip to China soon and we're trying to figure out if Skype would be a way for him to call back home.

If anyone has any insight into the situation I would appreaciate any tips or advice on what he would need to purchase or do to make that possible.

Thanks.

BlazedOne
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 15 (20,405 Views)

Re: Using Skype in China.

I am also traveling to china in two weeks and was wondering the steps required so I can use skype to call back to my family in the US. Could someone please let us know what we need to do?
m1k3inchina
Novel Tourist
Message 2 of 15 (20,373 Views)

before you go to China, purchase either some Skype Credit or Unlimited US/Canada calling subscription

click here and enter the target country (USA in this case) to see your options

http://www.skype.com/en/rates/

better yet, make Skype-to-Skype calls for free

Regards,
Neil
Neil
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 289
Message 3 of 15 (20,348 Views)

I've been using skype while in china to call friends back in the usa. The clarity of your call depends on the wifi connection which has varied. I suggest you turn on the "auto-recharge" feature so you don't have to deal with adding credits in china because in china you will be forced to use the china affiliate
Posted from Apple iPad
hoben022002
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 4 of 15 (19,279 Views)

I go to China about 5 times a year for a month each time. I use skype all of the time in China without any problems. Do not install any updates that may be offered in China they can mess up your skype and make it unusable. Skype TOM is the thing to avoid. Just use your UK edition of skype and you will be fine.

rencoman
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 15 (17,762 Views)

One other thing either put enough skype credit on your account or use auto re-charge it is sometimes difficult to add credit to skype in China unless you have a Chinese bank account.

rencoman
Novel Adventurer
Message 6 of 15 (17,760 Views)

My son brought his Verizon android smartphone to China.  It costs our family plan $1.99 per minute for calls to and from his phone while in China.  If we use Skype phone to his phone in China, it will still cost us $1.99 per minute, true?  Will the Skype android app work on his phone from China?

Also, does anyone know best or cheapest mobile phone plan available in China so we can get him a phone to receive US calls using Skype international plan or credits and he not be charged too much for receiving such calls?   THANKS

AnotherCommune
Novel Tourist
Message 7 of 15 (17,324 Views)

The rate is alot cheaper than what your carrier charges for $10 it took about 2.5 months to use it up. If he can download the android app to his phone it wil work, but he may have issues setting his account up in china instead of doing it beforehand in the states
Posted from Apple iPad
hoben022002
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 8 of 15 (16,563 Views)

Hello rencoman,

I was wondering if you could help. I am trying to chat with my wife in china from the U.K via skype. She has a macbook laptop but is having problems downloading skype onto her laptop via google U.K. She says it keeps freezing. She bought her laptop in the U.K. I am assuming the skype service is available between china and the U.K ? Do you know if this service is available to use between the U.K and china. I am not sure who to ask for advice with this problem ? Please help if you can.

jamesrockford75
Novel Adventurer
Message 9 of 15 (11,814 Views)

China is a more restrictive and regulated space, meaning the ISP your wife is logging on through probably won't be allowed to use access search results or software downloads from a lot of international Search sites.

To service the Chinese market, there is a special version of Skype which is issued through their officla partner - go to  http://skype.gmw.cn  to download the Skype app from the official site (check the bottom of the webpage for a link to display the site in English). Use that there (and if she needs credit you can login as her and add it to get around banking issues - as mentioned above).

Once your wife is back in Europe recommend that she remove the China issued version and download the standard issue version from skype.com

I'm no expert but I hope that helps :happy:

TheMovementGuy
Novel Tourist
Message 10 of 15 (11,699 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling