Transfer existing number to online number?

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Transfer existing number to online number?

I was wondering if it was possible to transfer an existing phone number to a skype online number.  We've recently moved from the US to Canada and were hoping to get a skype online number of my wife's cell phone number (which she still has, but is planning to cancel) in order to ease communication with our family/friends back home.  

Thanks!

cphoffman42
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 1 of 15 (2,516 Views)

Re: Transfer existing number to online number?

Sorry, not possible.

SKYPE STAFF MODERATOR & BETA TESTER
TIME ZONE - US EASTERN - PHILADELPHIA PA USA - UTC MINUS 5 HOURS

I recommend that you always run the latest software version: Windows & Mac

If my advice helped to fix your issue please mark it as a solution to help others.
Please note that I generally don't respond to unsolicited Private Messages. Thank you.
NormanM
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator icon
Kudos: 1325
Message 2 of 15 (2,512 Views)

Any chance this functionality will be added in the future?  I know you can port numbers from one US phone carrier to another without problems, so was hoping this would be possible with Skype.

cphoffman42
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 3 of 15 (2,508 Views)

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 685
Message 4 of 15 (2,506 Views)

Any date announcement about online number for Canada? Can't believe it doesn't exist yet when you can get an online  number in Estonia and Mexico! I'm guessing that it's all about mobile resellers that will loose money!

Look forward to get an online number

nicoclown84
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 3
Message 5 of 15 (2,463 Views)

If this option is avalible, I'm so moving to skype.  I don't text or accept phone calls when I drive, and my home and work place has WiFi.  If I can keep my same number I already have without going though the hoop-la of contacting 100+ people, I'm so going totally skype.  I wana choose my own radiation, and wifi over a small area seems safer to me then leaving it in the hands of hackers sniffing the airwaves.

desertfoxnick
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 6 of 15 (2,437 Views)

Any date announcement about online number for Canada?

It's unlikely any time soon, I'm afraid.

SKYPE STAFF MODERATOR & BETA TESTER
TIME ZONE - US EASTERN - PHILADELPHIA PA USA - UTC MINUS 5 HOURS

I recommend that you always run the latest software version: Windows & Mac

If my advice helped to fix your issue please mark it as a solution to help others.
Please note that I generally don't respond to unsolicited Private Messages. Thank you.
NormanM
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator icon
Kudos: 1325
Message 7 of 15 (2,433 Views)

Exactly what I was looking for!
karencalcaterra
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 8 of 15 (2,422 Views)

You should look into google voice.  It's a really neat forwarding-type service.  It's free to use, but its a one time fee (10 or 20 dollars) to port a number.  What you can do is set up a skype number and tell google voice to forward all calls to the skype number.  Then in skype set up you caller ID number as your google voice number.  This way when people call you it rings your skype number.  But when you call others from skype, they still see the number that they called (aka the google voice number).  Does this makes sense?  I'll be happy to shed more light if I have confused you.

-T D Genduso

tdgenduso
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 3
Message 9 of 15 (2,408 Views)

Hey,sounds interesting, but is this transfering existing land line phone # to a Google Voice online number? Or did I get it right? We live in Canada but we live in US for winter. We wouls like to keep existing land line phone #.
My plan is transfer our existing phone number then cancel it as in Canada we own our land line phone number but only while it is active.
Will this work as per your suggestion?
Hope this makes sense as I see I was rambling.
theemmons
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 10 of 15 (2,400 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling