Skype Premium after Free Group Video Calls

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Skype Premium after Free Group Video Calls

The short version of it: Either

• Good Decision, now refund your loyal paying customers; or
  • Poor Decision, it should remain a pay-only product.

Which one is it going to be?

The long version of it:

Okay, Skype, I think there will be a flood of people coming in here and also people flooding the e-mails and live chats of the support team. So since it looks like nobody is going to put it up for talks, I guess I'm going to do it - what's going to happen to us who paid for a month... a few months... or even, like myself, a year of Skype Premium? Are we getting pro-rated refunds? 

I know there will be someone from the Skype team that will redirect everyone to the "Refunds are eligible for those who haven't used the service yet" support article, but what about those who already paid and are now publicly notified that the core feature of Skype Premium, Group Video Calling, is now free? I've shelled out on almost $500 of Skype Premium gifts to my friends (over $100 of it to myself), each for a year of Skype Premium. What does that mean for us? What does that mean for you if you did something similar... or just had a year of service for one?

Be advised, folks, I see nothing that says that when Skype Premium is discontinued, no refunds will be offered. This means the Skype team can do as they will. If they do the wrong thing, however, then maybe their competitor (and I'm talking about the big, blue G) might have more worth in the end. 

Don't disappoint your customers, Skype.

Are you affected by this change? How muc hdid you pay for Skype Premium and what's your length of subscription? Is it still going to be active the next month and probably the month after? Let's all let the Skype team know what's going on and how we feel about it.

-- Warmest Regards,

A loyal, paying Skype customer.

Tsuimonster
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 33
Message 1 of 10 (3,183 Views)

Re: Skype Premium after Free Group Video Calls

[ Edited ]

I'm also very interested in what this means for Premium subscribers. I just paid to renew Skype Premium in January, and I almost exclusively used it for group video chat. Rarely have I ever used it for calling. Now here I am, only 1/3 of the way through the year and group video calls are now free for everyone?

You should have a plan for Premium before you make a change like this. Now premium members are left wondering why we pay for the service. "Premium is getting a refresh" is not a reassuring feed to your customers.

I get that Google Hangouts is gaining some momentum and this was kind of a necessary move to compete, but you have to give those of us willing to pay for a great service something.

0 Kudos
TheeMC
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 2 of 10 (3,169 Views)

We appreciate your feedback, and we value our Premium customers very much! 

Existing Premium members will be contacted in the next days via email with details around the future of their subscription. Your individual option depends on which Premium subscription you did purchase previously. So please check the inbox of your Skype account's primary email this week for more details. Meanwhile you might want to check your primary account email is up to date. You can do that in your "Account Settings" at the Skype web account page here: www.skype.com/go/myaccount

Keep your Skype up to date
Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
0 Kudos
Claudius
Community Manager
Community Manager icon
Kudos: 12555
Message 3 of 10 (3,135 Views)

[ Edited ]

You could not have said it better.

I am a Skype customer and I bought premium for the Group Video call ONLY.
I might find other bells and whistles nice, but the truth is I paid the service for that.

This is my original and very sincere reaction when I first saw the news on Twitter :

https://twitter.com/skaragiannis

So, was I stupid that I paid ?

Thanks for bringing this up

0 Kudos
SKaragiannis
Novel Tourist
Message 4 of 10 (2,206 Views)

I bought premium for a year on April 27th 2014 for group calls only, two days later it has become free!!!

It has been almost a week since your post and I have not received any email regarding my account,

What do I need to do?

I beleive I deserve a refund! 

0 Kudos
ajsharaf
Novel Tourist
Message 5 of 10 (1,630 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello ajsharaf,

I can see that you have not purchased a Premium Subscription but you have redeemed a Premium voucher, this is different you did not pay anything to Skype, you could get it for free, this is why you have not received any email regarding your account.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my answer was useful, please click on "Accept as Solution" to help others, thank you :happy:

Si ma réponse vous a aidé merci de cliquer sur "Accepter comme solution"

Cela pourra surement aider d'autres personnes qui ont le même problème :wink:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Laurent95
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator icon
Kudos: 500
Message 6 of 10 (1,585 Views)

Summary: Skype eventually refunded my money into my bank account, after an ordeal though!

Initially, Skype had given me pro-rated Skype credit on 9-May  from 1-May to the year on. But I don't use Skype credit at all, so there wasn't much I could have done with it. The only reason I had premium was to make group video calls.

I contacted Skype and the Customer Service Executive (CSE) told me that since it has been more than 14 days from the transaction date, a refund could not be made. I had to explain that that credit was useless to me, I had not received a notification of such a transfer and if I should onsider my £20 donated to Skype. I was told that, "... because you are a loyal customer, we'll refund the money into your bank account and it will reach you within 3 - 5 business days"

I left a really nice feedback for that CSE, since I was satisfied. But, then I received an email saying that as the amount of $20 (note the currency mixup), had already been added to my Skype credit, there was no monetory refund needed. My head blew up!! This was not only deceiving but also a company backing out on its word.

Following that, I contacted Skype again. Re-iterated the entire scenario and mentioned how the first CSE had lied to me. After almost 30 mins of debating, I got the same "loyal customer" dialog and a confirmation of refund (again). But this time I was skeptic and the feedback wasn't equally good.

After 3 days I got the money in my account.

0 Kudos
kansal_h
Casual Tourist
Message 7 of 10 (901 Views)

I am trying to cancel my premium account.

I was charged 50 euros for landlines unlimited ot Spain... Which I never choosed neither want...!!!

I do not use skype to call in Spain. I live in Spain and my calls are already free from my mobile.

Please refund me and cancel that unlimited stuff.

It is against any law to not let people cancel a subscription on their account.

Thanks

Nicolas

0 Kudos
NicolasLindeman
Novel Adventurer
Message 8 of 10 (841 Views)

You just need to follow the steps here: How do I request a refund?

If my answer was useful, please click on "Accept as Solution" to help others, thank you :happy:

Si ma réponse vous a aidé merci de cliquer sur "Accepter comme solution"

Cela pourra surement aider d'autres personnes qui ont le même problème :wink:

0 Kudos
Laurent95
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator icon
Kudos: 500
Message 9 of 10 (823 Views)

0 Kudos
NormanM
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator icon
Kudos: 1367
Message 10 of 10 (728 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling