International calling from Europe to the US. What...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

International calling from Europe to the US. What will receivers in US be charged in rates?

I'm going to Europe for almost 3 months and I want to keep in contact, but they don't use Skype.  Currently, we're on a phone plan with T-Mobile.  If I use Skype on my laptop to call cell phones and landlines in the United States, what will the recievers on the US side be charged?  Will they be charged the inertionational rate for minutes which is $5.99/minute?  

ljwaks
Novel Tourist

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

0 Kudos

I am living in the USA and have a USA/Canada plan. Can I call back from Canada to the USA - to landlines or mobiles - as part of my skype plan? To be irritatingly clear - calling FROM canda TO the USA.?

View solution in original post
junebugman
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 1 of 13 (7,678 Views)

Re: International calling from Europe to the US. What will receivers in US be charged in rates?

junebugman wrote:

I'm going to Europe for almost 3 months and I want to keep in contact, but they don't use Skype.  Currently, we're on a phone plan with T-Mobile.  If I use Skype on my laptop to call cell phones and landlines in the United States, what will the recievers on the US side be charged?  Will they be charged the inertionational rate for minutes which is $5.99/minute?  

Skype will be a much better option for you. 

If you use Skype to call telephones (landlines and mobiles) in the USA, you can either pay per call with Skype Credit or with a subscription.  On a per-call basis using Skype Credit, Skype charges 2.3 US cents/minute for calls to landline and mobile phones in the USA, plus a small connect fee per call.  Calls to the state of Alaska (907 area code) are priced a bit higher, at 6 US cents/minute plus the connect fee per call.  If you are going to make lots of calls back to the States, you may want to consider the Unlimited USA & Canada subscription at US$ 2.99/month.  Subject to Skype's fair-use policy for subscriptions, you can call any landline or mobile phone in both the USA and Canada for that monthly rate (or discounted by 15%, if you purchase it for a year at a time).  Calls to toll-free numbers in the US are free, but not all toll-free numbers are accessible from Skype.  Click on "Pay as you go" and "Subscriptions" below for more details on those options.  Remember that Skype's rates are based on the destination of your calls, not on where you are located.  These rates - and the subscriptions - would work wherever you have access to Skype.  You could be in Europe, Australia, South America, even somewhere in the USA - and the rates are the same, wherever you are. 

When you call US landline phones with Skype, those receiving the calls won't be charged for your calls.  For mobile phones, it depends on the type of plan those phones are on.  They would not be charged anything extra, just because you are using Skype to call them, but may have minutes deducted from a monthly plan - or be charged per minute for the incoming call. 

Of course, if you can convence anyone that you would need to call in the US to get on Skype, calls between Skype users are always free. 

Hope that helps!

---
Patrick

Location/Ubicacion: Arizona USA
Time Zone/Hora Local: UTC/GMT -7

If this message has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.

Si esto mensaje le ha ayudado, por favor haga clic en "Aceptar como solución". Si encuentra un mensaje útil, por favor "Da Kudos" al final del mensaje, por lo que esta información puede beneficiar a otros.

I am not a Skype employee. No soy un empleado de Skype.
wd9ewk
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 672
Message 2 of 13 (7,673 Views)

Re: International calling from Europe to the US. What will receivers in US be charged in rates?

I understand that minutes will be deducted from a monthly minute plan, but will there be additional charges for international calls?  For example, T-Mobile charges $5.99/minute for the caller and the reciever in Poland.  So if I used my cell phone, I'd have my minutes deducted + $5.99/minute and my family in the US would also have minutes deducted + $5.99/minute.

junebugman
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 3 of 13 (7,660 Views)

junebugman wrote:

I understand that minutes will be deducted from a monthly minute plan, but will there be additional charges for international calls?  For example, T-Mobile charges $5.99/minute for the caller and the reciever in Poland.  So if I used my cell phone, I'd have my minutes deducted + $5.99/minute and my family in the US would also have minutes deducted + $5.99/minute.

I think you have found some very incorrect information.  Even if you use a T-Mobile (USA) phone in Poland, receiving those calls should never cost US$ 5.99/minute.  For most of Europe, T-Mobile's roaming rates for voice calls have been around US$ 1/minute - still expensive, but not as bad as US$ 5.99/minute.

Going back to your original questions, it will not cost your family in the US on a T-Mobile (USA) mobile phone anything extra to receive an international call.   It may be free as part of an "unlimited" plan for voice calls, deducted from a monthly allotment of minutes, or - at most - charged some per-minute rate which would be the same for any incoming call from anywhere to that phone.  You could use Skype to call them, and they would not be charged $5.99/minute for that.  In Poland, it may be a different matter, but generally there are no charges to receive calls on mobile phones throughout Europe.  Regardless of what happens on a mobile phone in Poland, your US family members with a T-Mobile phone through T-Mobile USA would not have to pay $5.99/minute to get a call from you. 

---
Patrick

If this message has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.

Si esto mensaje le ha ayudado, por favor haga clic en "Aceptar como solución". Si encuentra un mensaje útil, por favor "Da Kudos" al final del mensaje, por lo que esta información puede beneficiar a otros.

wd9ewk
Super Adventurer
Message 4 of 13 (7,650 Views)

[ Edited ]

Your answer is only theoretical, in the real life it is not like you described. My son is in USA and he just purchased a new USA pre-paid mobile number plus 10$ credit. I called his USA mobile number from Europe via Skype - we talked approx. 25 minutes and his balance of 10$ was deducted. Its meaning that if you are calling USA mobile number from Skype - your Skype balance will be deducted by the Skype rate (cheap rate), and the receiver will be also charged for the Skype call (very expensive rate).

FGY2
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 5 of 13 (7,539 Views)

FGY2 wrote:

Your answer is only theoretical, in the real life it is not like you described. My son is in USA and he just purchased a new USA pre-paid mobile number plus 10$ credit. I called his USA mobile number from Europe via Skype - we talked approx. 25 minutes and his balance of 10$ was deducted. Its meaning that if you are calling USA mobile number from Skype - your Skype balance will be deducted by the Skype rate (cheap rate), and the receiver will be also charged for the Skype call (very expensive rate).

Where is my information incorrect?  In this discussion, not only am I a Skype user (Online Numbers, a subscription, and the occasional use of Skype Credit to call other countries not covered by my current subscription), I am also a T-Mobile USA subscriber for my mobile phone.  I can't say that I have ever been to Poland, but I can speak with experience about using my T-Mobile phone in other countries, and using Skype in different ways from different countries.  There may be a few countries where T-Mobile's roaming rates for US subscribers approach 3 or 4 US dollars per minute, but I never saw something showing 5 US dollars or more a minute for international roaming.  I paid US$ 1.69/minute for using my T-Mobile phone in Australia last year for one call to let my family know I made it safely to Melbourne, before I made it to a store and purchased a prepaid SIM and plan for my time in the country (and then used Skype over the 3G network to make other calls back to the States).  I think in Mexico the rates were more like US$ 1.49/minute if I used my T-Mobile phone down there. 

What you are talking about is not a Skype Credit balance, but your son's prepaid mobile phone account (you didn't mention which carrier or reseller his plan is with).  If this is what he has, it makes sense that a 25-minute phone call would wipe out a US$ 10 balance on his prepaid plan.  This would have happened whether you called him via Skype or using a landline or mobile phone in Europe to his prepaid phone - or if you called him from your home or mobile phone in the US.  His issue appears to be with the choice of prepaid plan.  Maybe there are other options he can explore, that would give him more use of his mobile phone with a prepaid plan?

For you and your son, if the two of you can use Skype, and especially if your son uses Skype on something other than his prepaid mobile phone's data plan (if he has one), then you won't have to worry about running through his prepaid plan's credit. 

---
Patrick

wd9ewk
Super Adventurer
Message 6 of 13 (7,528 Views)

Just using wi fi spots and Skype should be all you need. JUST BE SURE TO OFF "roaming" on your phone.....or so I heard on the radio. Will see 4 sure when I'm in Europe in Sept.
Posted from Apple iPad
Peppy2
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 7 of 13 (5,755 Views)

Just to clarify:

I am going to Sweden.  I have a Skype subscription to US & Canada.  If I Skype from Sweden to a USA land line or cell line, there should be no charge.  If I Skype to a Skype, there is no charge.  

However, before I go, if I call a Sweden land line or cell line via Skype, there is a charge.  Correct?

And would that charge show up on my credit card automatically based on the info given to Skype when I initiated my subscription?

Thanks for the info.

profune
Novel Adventurer
Message 8 of 13 (4,672 Views)

So what did you find out during your trip to Sweeden.  Did USA recipients of your calls receive any unexpected charges?

Jeff-In-CA
Novel Tourist
Message 9 of 13 (2,328 Views)

I think you are saying you are paying a monthly Skype subscription, not pay as you go Skype, correct? But you will not be charged EXTRA for your calls, as you pay a monthly fee for unlimited minutes, correct? I think this is what you're saying. I am in Sweden and pay as I go. I call the USA to landlines. Today i tried a mobile phone and it still seems to be the same low rate of about 2 cents perminute. But i need to ask the person i called if it ended up free for them to receive the call on their mobile phone. Landlines always receive the Skype call for free and i pay very little for the per minute Skype call.
Posted from Apple iPad
Melinmelin
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 10 of 13 (1,398 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling