How do I change my Skype username?

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

How do I change my Skype username?

NormanM
Staff Moderator

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

TO ALL

Usernames can't be changed but Display names can. You can also create a new account and associated new username.

View solution in original post
Tera786
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 32
Message 1 of 10 (229,499 Views)

Re: How do I change my Skype username?

[ Edited ]

Hi, Tera786, and welcome to the Community!

In case you were asking the question, the answer is Skype does not permit this.  You can change what displays in your Profile, but not your account user name itself.

Regards,

Elaine

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
Was your question answered? Please click on the Accept as a Solution link so everyone can quickly find what works! Like a post or want to say, "Thank You" - ?? Click on the Kudos button!

Please note:   To remove (delete) a Skype Account, you must contact Skype Customer Service directly. We here in the Community cannot process account-related service requests.

Trustworthy information: Brian Krebs: 3 Basic Rules for Online Safety and Consumer Reports: Guide to Internet Security

Online Safety Tips: Do not accept contact invitations from anyone whom you do not know, and change your passwords regularly and often.

Do you have a Skype trick up your sleeve?  Share your Solutions and Tips with us!

Elaine
Moderator icon
Kudos: 1802
Message 2 of 10 (229,498 Views)

Noooo!!!!!!! Whyyy D'x i don't want to have all my contacts deleted and i don't like this name. please skype..... change this! thank you(: <3
eagles-10
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 34
Message 3 of 10 (227,079 Views)

what?! i made my skype accountwhen i was younger and my username is sooo stupid awesomedakota like who uses that i want to change it so could you try and fix this youd have alought more satisfied customers

Posted from Apple iPad
awesomedakota
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 42
Message 4 of 10 (226,916 Views)

This is all a bit silly really, especially when us MSN Messenger users were forced over to Skype but had no choice in user name. At very least MS Messenger users should be permitted to change their username.

dw_6
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 15
Message 5 of 10 (224,757 Views)

What a shame :sad:
Posted from Samsung GT-S5363
lukestanbridge
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 14
Message 6 of 10 (222,729 Views)

I agree with the comments that this should be allowed. My username contained my married name BEFORE the affair/divorce... I don't want his name on anything of mine any longer. The same goes for women who get married and had their maiden names but would like their married name now. It seems a shame that we would have to set up an entire new account because women change their names when they get married/divorced. 

Afrika_Amanda
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 36
Message 7 of 10 (220,841 Views)

I hate my username and really want to change it. Cannot be bothered to make a new account and delete all my contacts. I set up my account when I was younger and the username is really silly I need to change it :sad:
Posted from Apple iPhone
luvchocolate
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 38
Message 8 of 10 (219,977 Views)

i want to change my skype name

aasha
Tourist
Kudos: 29
Message 9 of 10 (218,513 Views)

TO ALL

Usernames can't be changed but Display names can. You can also create a new account and associated new username.

SKYPE STAFF MODERATOR & BETA TESTER
TIME ZONE - US EASTERN - PHILADELPHIA PA USA - UTC MINUS 5 HOURS

I recommend that you always run the latest software version: Windows & Mac

If my advice helped to fix your issue please mark it as a solution to help others.
Please note that I generally don't respond to unsolicited Private Messages. Thank you.
NormanM
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator icon
Kudos: 1400
Message 10 of 10 (218,494 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling