Charging for 1300 calls in Australia

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Charging for 1300 calls in Australia

I have recently taken out a subscription which gives me 150 minutes of calls to landlines in Australia.  I recently made some calls to a 1300 number and have been charged extra for them.  Surely 1300 numbers are landlines and should therefore be included in my subscription?

quercus
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 1 of 6 (2,030 Views)

Re: Charging for 1300 calls in Australia

quercus wrote:

I have recently taken out a subscription which gives me 150 minutes of calls to landlines in Australia.  I recently made some calls to a 1300 number and have been charged extra for them.  Surely 1300 numbers are landlines and should therefore be included in my subscription?

The 1300 numbers (same with the 13 xx xx numbers) may be tied to landline phones, but are not treated the same as calling a standard landline number in Australia.  Since Skype does not have the concept of a "local call" like you might have if you called the 1300 number from an Australian landline phone, there are separate charges for calling those numbers - and are not covered by any of Skype's subscriptions.  This is the same as in other countries that have "shared-cost" or "special-rate" numbers just like the 13 and 1300 numbers in Australia - none of these are covered by any of Skype's subscriptions, and require Skype Credit to make the call.

---
Patrick

Location/Ubicacion: Arizona USA
Time Zone/Hora Local: UTC/GMT -7

If this message has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.

Si esto mensaje le ha ayudado, por favor haga clic en "Aceptar como solución". Si encuentra un mensaje útil, por favor "Da Kudos" al final del mensaje, por lo que esta información puede beneficiar a otros.

I am not a Skype employee. No soy un empleado de Skype.
0 Kudos
wd9ewk
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 666
Message 2 of 6 (2,022 Views)

Previously the exceptional case for 13xx numbers was listed in the call rates and assigned its own rate. Now it is not listed as an exception, let alone rates given. This probably means they can now charge you what they like. If they were subject to Australian laws this would be deemed an unfair business practice and Skype would be brought into line.

0 Kudos
sqgl
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 3 of 6 (1,575 Views)

At least I am not the only one bugged by this. Taking out an unlimited hours subscription seemed to be the ideal solution to telstras outrageous pricing, but alas I was wrong. A large part of the reason for taking out said subscription was so I could call 13 numbers (which cost me 80 cents per call with telstra). As already stated many australian businesses and gov depts use these numbers to allow people to make local charge costs from anywhere in the country. Its a pity that skype cant seem to find it in their hearts to extend the same courtesy. I am **bleep** sure that the cost for these calls would be no more than an interstate call. Very disappointed with skypes attitude to this situation (posts go back a couple of years so they obviously dont care). I am wondering if the subscription is really worth it. Does anyone know of other internet phone services that do cover these type of calls. Hoping to get some positive response, thanks guys.

0 Kudos
Lenniboy
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 4 of 6 (1,149 Views)

Hello,

Shared cost number are charged at higher rate than regular landlines. Australia 1300 and 13 prefix numbers are similar to UK shared cost numbers: What is a UK shared cost number?

Skype doesn't have subscriptions that would cover shared cost numbers, only Skype Credit can be used to call these numbers.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my answer was useful, please click on "Accept as Solution" to help others, thank you :happy:

Si ma réponse vous a aidé merci de cliquer sur "Accepter comme solution"

Cela pourra surement aider d'autres personnes qui ont le même problème :wink:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Laurent95
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator icon
Kudos: 513
Message 5 of 6 (1,121 Views)

LenniBoy,

I could not agree more.  You have covered all the same issues I have on this matter.  I am an annual unlimited subscriber and although I am happy with the quality of call and pricing from Australia to overseas etc 13 and 1300 numbers are a big part of my daily personal communications.  I have just had a 30 minute live skype chat and like you to no end.  Come on Skype pull your finger out.

Also I am NOT aware of any other VOIP provider than accomodates these special numbers although I beleive if you shop around for Australian landline subscribers there may be a calling plan that includes these numbers.

Defeats the purpose of the Skype incentive though.

rrigcm
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 6 of 6 (1,032 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling