Can I forward my cell phone number to an online nu...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can I forward my cell phone number to an online number?

Ok, here is my situation. I will move to Japan for 3 years. I would like to keep my US cell phone number and continue using it when I am Japan. The affordable way is to buy an online number in USA. But I could not figure out how to forward the calls from my US cell phone to this online number. All I read is about how to forward the calls on an online number to another country. Am I missing something here, or there is no way to forward the calls on my US cell phone to an online number? Anybody can help?

Fun598
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 3
Message 1 of 6 (7,832 Views)

Re: Can I forward my cell phone number to an online number?

[ Edited ]

If you wish to forward calls from your US cell phone to Skype Online Number then this is something that you need to set up with your cell phone service provider.

Skype can forward only calls from Skype account to somewhere else, calls forwarded from your cell phone need to be set up on your cell phone or by your mobile service provider, because they would be forwarding the call.

Andre

If answer was helpful please mark it with Kudos and if issue is resolved mark it with solution. This will help other users find this answer more easily. Thanks in advance!
Andre
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator icon
Kudos: 718
Message 2 of 6 (7,830 Views)

I am trying to do this same thing.  I got an online skype number (US).  I don't get cell phone reception at my house so normally I set my I Phone to forward to my landline which works like a charm.  But I figured it would be even cooler if I could set my I Phone to forward the calls to my online Skype number so it's just like I am using my cell phone as always even though I don't get cell phone reception at my house and am now just using the WiFi.  I tried doing this and when I dialed my cell from an outside line and activated this forwarder, it gave me a message saying the number was not in service.  Do you think it's the service provider that's blocking me from doing this?  Thanks.

AGulsrud
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 3 of 6 (7,817 Views)

First check your privacy settings are set to ''Allow calls from anyone''.Then change them to "Allow SkypeIn calls from Only people from my Contacts List".Save and wait for 5 minutes.Log out from your Skype account and log back in. Change settings back to "Allow calls from Anyone". Save and wait for 5 minutes.Log out from your Skype account and log back in.

If the above does not work please contact customer service here: https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA1170/How-can-I-contact-Skype-Customer-Service

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 580
Message 4 of 6 (7,815 Views)

Moved to "Subscriptions".

SKYPE STAFF MODERATOR & BETA TESTER
TIME ZONE - US EASTERN - PHILADELPHIA PA USA - UTC MINUS 5 HOURS

I recommend that you always run the latest software version: Windows & Mac

If my advice helped to fix your issue please mark it as a solution to help others.
Please note that I generally don't respond to unsolicited Private Messages. Thank you.
NormanM
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator icon
Kudos: 1412
Message 5 of 6 (7,811 Views)

Hello AGulsrud.

For future reference please start your own thread.

Your issue is not the same as that of the person whose thread you have infiltrated. Two issues are almost never identical. There are too many variables. Thank you for your understanding.

SKYPE STAFF MODERATOR & BETA TESTER
TIME ZONE - US EASTERN - PHILADELPHIA PA USA - UTC MINUS 5 HOURS

I recommend that you always run the latest software version: Windows & Mac

If my advice helped to fix your issue please mark it as a solution to help others.
Please note that I generally don't respond to unsolicited Private Messages. Thank you.
NormanM
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator icon
Kudos: 1412
Message 6 of 6 (7,808 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling